What would've happened...

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't remember that. I don't think Donley ever suited up for a game for GT. I could very well be wrong though.
How about the other way around?
What if DT and JN and others didn't play in CPJ's offense? Would they have ever gotten playing time elsewhere? Would DT have achieved the notoriety and have even have sniffed the NFL draft?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember that. I don't think Donley ever suited up for a game for GT. I could very well be wrong though.
What if DT and JN and others didn't play in CPJ's offense? Would they have ever gotten playing time elsewhere? Would DT have achieved the notoriety and have even have sniffed the NFL draft?

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

Here is the only video I could find from back in '07:

I think Demaryius was NFL bound...with his ball skills combined with hize size:speed ratio, he is hard to miss. It is interesting to consider, though. Josh was set on playing QB, or else he would've went to UGA or some other factory as a safety to begin with... I don't know if he was a good enough passer to play in a pro-style, but we'll never know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
BC, Clemson, UGA, and FSU would've been tough. I do think 6-7 is more fitting after looking at our schedule. I was at the Gardner Webb game that year with Calvin Booker playing QB... wow

I didn't say Calvin would win those games.

Regardless, if we had only won 6 and made a bowl game, we'd still have exceeded expectations. There would have been optimism with CPJ.

With a whole year as a starter, Jaybo would have done fine in 2009, maybe not as good as Joshua, but good enough. He may have done better. He led GS to FCS semifinals in 2010 and 2011.

So, I don't buy the idea that CPJs success hangs on one player.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What if Tennessee's Doug Dickey had replaced Bobby Dodd? Dodd had already hired Dickey, a very successful Coach at UT, to replace him. At the last minute, Pres.Ed Harrison vetoed it and hired Bud Carson. The rest is history, Bud lasted 5 up and down years.
OMG, yes. This was the biggest mistake in GT football history. The story was that the Hill–specifically Harrison–didn't want the GTAA and the football program to continue to be as independent as it had been under Dodd. Dodd was unassailable, of course, and, as his hand-picked successor, Dickey would have been just as sacrosanct if he was successful. And he would have been; he was in the coaching tree (he was Frank Broyles's assistant) and he knew what he was doing. Further, when Dodd retired as AD, Dickey would have taken that job as well. Tech would never have skipped a beat.

Instead, we spent 30 years wandering in the wilderness.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't say Calvin would win those games.

Regardless, if we had only won 6 and made a bowl game, we'd still have exceeded expectations. There would have been optimism with CPJ.

With a whole year as a starter, Jaybo would have done fine in 2009, maybe not as good as Joshua, but good enough. He may have done better. He led GS to FCS semifinals in 2010 and 2011.

So, I don't buy the idea that CPJs success hangs on one player.

I didn't mean to imply that you stated that Calvin would've won those games. I understood that you meant Jaybo. IMO, we don't beat FSU or Clemson with Jaybo and we most definitely do not beat UGA in 2008 with Jaybo Shaw. He entered the game for a series or two and was thrown about like a rag doll. what he was able to do as an upperclassman in the FCS has no relevance to what he could do in 2008 at Tech. Vad Lee was a superstar at JMU, throwing for 300+ and running for 100+ in many games, but he was not great for us. My main point was and still is that without Josh on the roster, 2008 for sure and likely 2009 would not have been as successful. Think of the 3rd/4th and shorts that we don't get without Josh. The FSU fumble "steal." Jaybo Shaw would have never produced as much for GT as Josh Nesbitt did.

CPJ's success doesn't hang on one player...but the degree of success that we were able to achieve in his first year and 2009 were positively affected by Josh Nesbitt. He was not the perfect QB or some kind of god, but Jaybo Shaw & Company weren't going to give us what we got from Josh. QB is the most important position on the field. It's like what we've seen over the past 3 years with JT... CPJ's success doesn't hang on Justin, but if we had to go with someone other than Justin that is currently on the roster this year, we wouldn't have had the success we had.

Beating UGA was the team's #1 priority in 2008. That was no secret. That victory did as much for the team, fan base, and CPJ as anything else. If CPJ goes 0-6 vs UGA in his first 6 tries (2008-2013), the optimism that you speak of would be much less than what it was.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I didn't mean to imply that you stated that Calvin would've won those games. I understood that you meant Jaybo. IMO, we don't beat FSU or Clemson with Jaybo and we most definitely do not beat UGA in 2008 with Jaybo Shaw. He entered the game for a series or two and was thrown about like a rag doll. what he was able to do as an upperclassman in the FCS has no relevance to what he could do in 2008 at Tech. Vad Lee was a superstar at JMU, throwing for 300+ and running for 100+ in many games, but he was not great for us. My main point was and still is that without Josh on the roster, 2008 for sure and likely 2009 would not have been as successful. Think of the 3rd/4th and shorts that we don't get without Josh. The FSU fumble "steal." Jaybo Shaw would have never produced as much for GT as Josh Nesbitt did.

CPJ's success doesn't hang on one player...but the degree of success that we were able to achieve in his first year and 2009 were positively affected by Josh Nesbitt. He was not the perfect QB or some kind of god, but Jaybo Shaw & Company weren't going to give us what we got from Josh. QB is the most important position on the field. It's like what we've seen over the past 3 years with JT... CPJ's success doesn't hang on Justin, but if we had to go with someone other than Justin that is currently on the roster this year, we wouldn't have had the success we had.

Beating UGA was the team's #1 priority in 2008. That was no secret. That victory did as much for the team, fan base, and CPJ as anything else. If CPJ goes 0-6 vs UGA in his first 6 tries (2008-2013), the optimism that you speak of would be much less than what it was.

LOL.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
More importantly, what if Bobby Dodd really retired in 1966. I think GT never takes a nose dive. Best coach we ever had, possibly worst AD (maybe Brain-less).
Bobby should have stepped down completely and had a non GT person come in as Athletic Director. I think GT may not have fallen off if Bobby Dodd would have kept coaching until 1970 or 1971.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

No reason to LOL
1) Jaybo wouldn't have beaten GA... he saw playing time in 08 and 09 in games vs UGA and it was bad. He did fine against the MSST's and Duke's of the world but he would never have beaten UGA.
2) CPJ himself stated that the #1 goal of the 2008 team was to beat UGA. You cannot argue that if we don't beat UGA in 2008 things would be looked at much differently. We couldn't have waited til '14 to get our first win vs. UGA. Just saying.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No reason to LOL
1) Jaybo wouldn't have beaten GA... he saw playing time in 08 and 09 in games vs UGA and it was bad. He did fine against the MSST's and Duke's of the world but he would never have beaten UGA.
2) CPJ himself stated that the #1 goal of the 2008 team was to beat UGA. You cannot argue that if we don't beat UGA in 2008 things would be looked at much differently. We couldn't have waited til '14 to get our first win vs. UGA. Just saying.

I understood you. I found it humorous.

The fact is that we don't know how Jaybo would have done in the last game if he had taken every snap all year.

We do know that he did better as a True Fr backup than any RS Fr backup. We also know that CPJ tailors his O to his starting QB.

I just find it funny that you take your "what if" scenario so seriously. There are a lot of unknowns, but one thing we do know is that Jaybo held his own as a True Freshman.

Now, if you wanted to pick one player from 2008 that would have changed the equation, then you could have chosen Dwyer.

Oh, and Vad didn't run the same system at JMU. Jaybo did at GS. So, like your Booker comment, it doesn't apply.

I'm sorry I tried to play along. I'll ignore you from now on.