What would you do about our coach?

What would you do about our Coach?

• Fire him this year and pay the huge buyout (we would have to hire a cheap replacement)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Evaluate him after next year(smaller buyout but still large)

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Evaluate him in 2 years

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Evaluate him in 3+ years

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Its the program not the coach

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Promote Roof to HC at some point

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
unless next year is a dumpster fire, I think he's around through at least through 2015.

Hopefully the red shirts available next year and those coming off of injury can make a difference.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, GT and CPJ are joined at the hip for two more seasons at least. We can't afford to pay him not to coach. But the fn buyout is still ~ $5mil after 2015. Thanks, D-Rad. This team is so painful to watch, BDS might be near deserted by then.

What is it with us and our horrendous coaching contract extensions? Chan, then Hewitt, now Johnson.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
What would I do? I would fire him now, but I am not paying his salary, so my opinion matters little. The boosters with the big money are the only ones who can make this decision. I would guess they would probably fire him except for the big buyout.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know how much money GT gets from the Maryland exit fee assuming the recent court ruling is upheld? I have heard 4 million.

As for the buyout I have learned to never say never when it comes to Tech and money. There are plenty of alumni that are extremely wealthy. If the right person or handful of people decides they have had enough the check will be written and that will be that. There were many that said we would not fire Gailey due to the nearly $4 million buyout but it happened. Many thought Paul Hewitt would never get fired because of the lifetime contract and $7 million plus buyout. It happened. IMO if he survives the aftermath of this season and bowl loss he is coaching for his job next season and based on who we have coming back and the schedule it is highly likely that much like Gailey in 2007 the ugag game will be do or die for Johnson next November.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
We are stuck with his contract for a couple years. I'd make him hire an Offensive Coordinator, and run some type of spread that PJ can over see. I think this is a cheaper way to improve recruiting and put fans in the seats. PJ would be crazy not to agree to this, because the writing is on the wall that his job will very soon be in jeopardy.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I honestly dont think it would help recruiting that much or put many more people in the stands.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know how much money GT gets from the Maryland exit fee assuming the recent court ruling is upheld? I have heard 4 million.

As for the buyout I have learned to never say never when it comes to Tech and money. There are plenty of alumni that are extremely wealthy. If the right person or handful of people decides they have had enough the check will be written and that will be that. There were many that said we would not fire Gailey due to the nearly $4 million buyout but it happened. Many thought Paul Hewitt would never get fired because of the lifetime contract and $7 million plus buyout. It happened. IMO if he survives the aftermath of this season and bowl loss he is coaching for his job next season and based on who we have coming back and the schedule it is highly likely that much like Gailey in 2007 the ugag game will be do or die for Johnson next November.

I don't think anyone sees any of the Maryland exit money for a while. Even if they lose the initial case, Maryland will likely appeal and that could potentially push any type of settlement/payment out for another couple of years.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Fire him after next yr if we don't win at least 9 games. Promote Roof to HC with a minimum salary. Promote Pelton to DC with a low salary for that position. Spend a good bit on a OC kinda like how Clemson has done with Morris. And switch to a more shotgun option based offense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
unless next year is a dumpster fire, I think he's around through at least through 2015.

Hopefully the red shirts available next year and those coming off of injury can make a difference.

I'm fairly sure next year is his make or break year. Here's a link to his contract:
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CHSGeorgiaTech.pdf

Notice the buyouts listed on page 27:
If fired at the end of:
2013 $7.768 million
2014 $5.25 million
2015 $2.667 million

I don't think GT will take the almost $8 million hit this year but the $5 million next year is very doable when structured & payed out over multiple years.

slugboy

Staff member
I was much more excited at the beginning of the year when we came out in the diamond formation. I understand why we pulled away from it, but we do need to shake things up a bit. It was frustrating watching Ole Miss running the read option as part of their "pass happy" offense where we couldn't do much with the offense we've been running for years.

I don't like the poll options, and think there's something else we can do. Somebody needs to have a talk with CPJ, though. We know he's a good coach--he just needs to wake up.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As many have explained, Georgia Tech has more problems than CPJ. I certainly wouldn't extend his contract until he improves the team performance. Eventually the buyout will shrink to something we afford or he will leave on his own. CPJ appears to have improved his recruiting this year. Hopefully we don't have a mass exodus of commits before signing day.

He has tried to correct several problems, but his offense has trouble matching up against good teams particularly ones with good defensive lines.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Fire him after next yr if we don't win at least 9 games. Promote Roof to HC with a minimum salary. Promote Pelton to DC with a low salary for that position. Spend a good bit on a OC kinda like how Clemson has done with Morris. And switch to a more shotgun option based offense.
I am all in for new OC and new offense.I be willing to bet you make the offense exciting and they will come.Tech though seems to shoot itself in the foot.Yes PJ beat Georgie but extending his contract after one yr was in my opinion not cool.Just give him a raise and we would not be wondering about a buy out.I do think though we will be having same conversation next year since we should win 8 due to our opponents .

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those of you who think CPJ feels the heat, or should be made to feel the heat, I think you are totally misreading the situation and the man. IMHO CPJs internal motivation is far greater than any pressure that could possibly be applied externally by anyone. I would be willing to bet that CPJ has actually demanded more changes from Bobinski and the AA than the opposite, and rightfully so.

The AA should be looking to do more to support football and leave team decisions totally up to him. If he fails to make progress while being supported then he will own the results and be fired. That is the way it needs to work.

Personally, I hope he succeeds and stays for a long time.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What would you do if you had the power :cigar:

1. Knowing how the Hill hampers us, tell the Hill to letup and to untie our other hand.
2. Tell PJ to put away his f'ing golf clubs until he gets a Masters Degree in public relations.
2. Tell PJ to scratch this A-back and B-back schtick.
3. Recruit TE's.
4. Make it a team rule to not cut block under most circumstances. If you cut block and the opposing defender laughs at you while you plant your facemask in the sod and he ends making the tackle, you come out the game until the start of the next quarter.
5. Deduct from his paycheck $5000.00 each time his offense is compared to a service academy by anyone in a game telecast.

More to come. I'm at work.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
1. Knowing how the Hill hampers us, tell the Hill to letup and to untie our other hand.
2. Tell PJ to put away his f'ing golf clubs until he gets a Masters Degree in public relations.
2. Tell PJ to scratch this A-back and B-back schtick.
3. Recruit TE's.
4. Make it a team rule to not cut block under most circumstances. If you cut block and the opposing defender laughs at you while you plant your facemask in the sod and he ends making the tackle, you come out the game until the start of the next quarter.
5. Deduct from his paycheck $5000.00 each time his offense is compared to a service academy by anyone in a game telecast.

More to come. I'm at work.
I am tryihg to be a realist when it comes to PJ.I doubt he has the notion to change anything and if.......and its a big if,he gets the players he needs then he will survive.I would like to see a spread offense since I think we could do it without much change.I would llike to see him out and about at tds clubs in rural Ga etc showing the Tech flag...I do know its doubtful the Hill will help anyone so the problems continue with recruiting folks to come here yet ....maybe we go nationwide and see what we can reel in.I also hope they have a day to.....burn those damn ugly unis and go to Ross or Dodd or Carson ones at least once a year.It appears also that their is a division in the ranks like it was few years ago.we need to fix this now.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One thing I am set on is that PJ is in trouble with many on this board and in the Tech Nation.We didnt like Carson due to his attitude which reminds me a little of PJ.We felt like Pepper was too cool and was wasting athletes.We hired Bill Curry and Bill Fulcher since they were Tech man with little coaching experience.We hired GOL and Ross and ........we got winning teams even though they were not prima Donna to the press.We hired Chan and kept him with the same or close to the same won loss as PJ and folks got upset with Reggie and not winning with good athletes.We got PJ and now upset due to lack of recruiting and winning more than seven a year ,losing to puppies etc...something dont change at Tech but when you lose control of the team or the fan base ...something is wrong.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
For those of you who think CPJ feels the heat, or should be made to feel the heat, I think you are totally misreading the situation and the man. IMHO CPJs internal motivation is far greater than any pressure that could possibly be applied externally by anyone. I would be willing to bet that CPJ has actually demanded more changes from Bobinski and the AA than the opposite, and rightfully so.

I agree with this completely. I believe he is driven to succeed from an internal motivation, not from fear of being fired. However, I am not sure that motivation is enough to overcome his resistance to change. College football is evolving and PJ isn't.

And when I say change I am not talking about hiring new staff or throwing in a few wrinkles every game. I am talking about wholesale changes to the way our entire football program is run.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
If we don't beat UGAg next year CPJ is done. In my mind that is a no brainer.

Defense has improved, but offense has regressed. That is not because other teams have gotten better at defending the triple option. It is because CPJ has become predictable. For example, the plays in 2nd OT of UGA game we try to go outside and they blow us up.

CPJ is way way too stubborn with his play calling. We have to mix it up, a reverse pass play inside our own 20 isn't mixing it up its just desperation. We have to keep the pedal to the metal and not let up. We could have embarrassed UGA, but we let up.

Bottom line: We need a coach that hates UGA and Clemson.

In my opinion we should go after Ken Wisenhunt. Played at GT, knows our rivalries, and he took the Cardinals to a Super Bowl.