What Will it Take...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
All I know is that Miami and Georgie from last year etc made it tough for me to fully enjoy our half time lead yesterday.
I agree with you........we seem to be ahead by six and a guy scores......we get up 13 and they score 14...it takes lot out of the game no doubt.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
No CFB football fan can ever be "comfortable". Pull a Clemson lately? Or how about being a Chokie. Then again, you could just find a way to lose like Duke.

Ask the UGAg fans expecting a NC this year how comfortable they are today.
/ The only comfort a fan has is when its 00 on the clock at the end of the game....we cant keep doing this though got to get better.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I was comfortable yesterday and we should have blown them out. We should've been up 42-10 at the half and we should've stepped on their throats in the second half but none of those things happened. We have a bunch of young guys and they're going to have to get mentally tougher, but if we have a lead against anyone else like we did yesterday I feel pretty confident that we won't squander it like we did today. Then again, did anyone pay attention to auburns defense when roof was DC? It's exactly why I didn't want roof.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Until the D line looks like it can put pressure in the backfield fairly regularly, I'm not sure I can be comfortable at all unless we have 9 point or greater lead with 5 seconds left in the game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was comfortable yesterday and we should have blown them out. We should've been up 42-10 at the half and we should've stepped on their throats in the second half but none of those things happened. We have a bunch of young guys and they're going to have to get mentally tougher, but if we have a lead against anyone else like we did yesterday I feel pretty confident that we won't squander it like we did today. Then again, did anyone pay attention to auburns defense when roof was DC? It's exactly why I didn't want roof.
... but CTR is believed to be the next coming and the savior or the program... (apologies in advance to anyone that may be offended.)

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
for you to feel comfortable in a game again, in terms of point lead with minutes left? I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable again. There could be 10 minutes left and 3 TD lead and I will still be on the edge of my seat.

Looking back at the past several seasons, the opposition has never scored more than 28 points in the second half and never more than 21 points in the 3rd or fourth quarters. So I suggest that a comfortable lead would be 29 points at the start of the half and 22 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

However, 28 opposition points scored in the second half has been done several times. So you have to think it likely that 29+ points is going to happen sooner or later. So I revised my earlier suggestion and now recommend adopting 222 points as a comfortable lead. And even then maybe you should tack on and extra touchdown or three just to almost be sure that the game can't possibly be lost.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
..... must take Black Swans into account.

Strange thing in CFB games is that both teams seem to want to win and don't often give up. (tic)

Maybe, just maybe, these last three games are a good thing for a young team going into conference play ... that could be delusional, though I don't think they will ever feel safe with a lead either.

This is the best way to look at it. We had a chance to lose each of the games and didn't fold.

But what we all (or at least I) wanted was for the first three games to be easy so that we had a chance to develop depth. Instead we got into dog fights that we won; with relatively few injuries to date. (Hope Perkins is ok.) So we got a more intense experience and training than we wanted and thus probably learned more. (Which is what you said.)

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

Strange thing in CFB games is that both teams seem to want to win and don't often give up. (tic)

This is the best way to look at it. We had a chance to lose each of the games and didn't fold.

But what we all (or at least I) wanted was for the first three games to be easy so that we had a chance to develop depth. Instead we got into dog fights that we won; with relatively few injuries to date. (Hope Perkins is ok.) So we got a more intense experience and training than we wanted and thus probably learned more. (Which is what you said.)

Well, as for developing depth, we've played a lot of players on the OL, AB, and DB in meaningful minutes. Plus we've played just about every DL we have, 2 QB, and at least 5 LB's. I would say we have around 40 players now that have been in the game in tough situations.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I sure as hell was not comfortable last half and if the football went forward we would have gotten beat.We do not have the killer attitutde yet and it seems we cant rush the passer or stop folks running right at us..I agree Aubie was not that great a defense.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Sounds good Nuke but we still are making same mistakes in game three as game one.Lack of pass rush makes every qb we play a Peyton Manning and folks throw all over our backs.As a old coach I get more upset with this than many since if we cant fix the problem sooner or later the problem will be exploited.Like you said though mentally maybe we got something out of this since ......we did win..........need to play better next week.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Learned that last year against uga.
Learned in athens with 20 point lead back around 1978. I will remind all of you that the other games that we are mentioning were all losses. I hope we can laugh about this game later in the year as just a close call and not the start of something bad.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
for you to feel comfortable in a game again, in terms of point lead with minutes left? I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable again. There could be 10 minutes left and 3 TD lead and I will still be on the edge of my seat.

it has been that way during most of PJs tenure here-- I don't think it is ANY coincidence that we have SIX Sr running backs and only 3 real DTs and 2 real DEs TOTAL. And folks wonder why our DEF is so bad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
it has been that way during most of PJs tenure here-- I don't think it is ANY coincidence that we have SIX Sr running backs and only 3 real DTs and 2 real DEs TOTAL. And folks wonder why our DEF is so bad.
News flash: we use runningbacks in place of receivers in the slot like most other teams.

Not having sr DL's.... hmmmm.... this will take a little more time. For starters, our RS sr's come from our '10 class. You remember that class don't you, a whopping 18 players. We signed 3 runningbacks and 3 DL's that year. I don't see anything a miss here, pretty even steven if you ask me. Denzel McCoy was a huge get for us but ended up with a freak illness/injury that dq'ed him from playing. Guess that's CPJ's fault. Oh, we also signed Anthony Williams who got himself tossed for not following the rules. Guess CPJ made him do that, too.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't help that Jabari and Whitehead are ineligible. Both have the talent to start. Weirdly enough, our DE spot should be a relative strength next season and A back will be green. Such is life in college football.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't help that Jabari and Whitehead are ineligible. Both have the talent to start. Weirdly enough, our DE spot should be a relative strength next season and A back will be green. Such is life in college football.
Some guys think this is the NFL and you never turn over players. I always crack up when I read stuff like, "it's year 7 we should be a finely tuned machine by now..." Well, how many players and coaches have come and gone in that time frame?