What type of defensive scheme will Santucci run @ GT?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
First of all. I believe this will be a solid hire by Key. Reflecting back upon an article that I had come across after learning that Jess Simpson was coming to GT and Santucci was a possible candidate for DC I was curious about him as a coach. A couple of things that stood out from the article that seemed to match up with Key’s coaching style/philosophy were strong work ethic, caring for the whole student athlete (athletically/life after football). He seems passionate about his profession and he has coached/learned under some great coaches.
Not sure what style scheme he intends to use but I imagine this will be another common thread of Key’s “having the scheme match the strengths of the current roster” and then develop the roster to fit the overarching vision through both development of current players, portal, and recruiting with an emphasis on athletes that can enroll early (very coachable).
What are your thoughts on scheme and SANTUCCI’S philosophy/coaching style?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Think he will put an emphasis on speed when bringing kids in would be my guess. I'm wondering if we might run something in that 2-4 and 3-3 scheme, as someone already mentioned we would need a lot more LB types on roster. Will be interesting to see what they bring in the next few weeks and mos.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
That one great thing about the portal- he can quickly turnover the personnel to match his desired scheme instead of having to wait for 2-3 recruiting cycles
Well yes and no...a lot of teams are talking about wanting to find defense in the portal...not sure how successful we will be with our shopping

slugboy

Staff member
Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well
  1. We recruited for a 4-2-5
  2. We still have the players for a 4-2-5
  3. It sure looks like Duke ran a lot of 4-2-5
  4. Santucci may want to run some different formations and schemes
  5. I saw some things about 2-4-5, but that doesn’t look like what Duke ran
  6. I guess we will see in Spring
  7. I’ll be kinda impressed if our DL stays low and has good technique
  8. I really hope we get a good secondary coach in place

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well
  1. We recruited for a 4-2-5
  2. We still have the players for a 4-2-5
  3. It sure looks like Duke ran a lot of 4-2-5
  4. Santucci may want to run some different formations and schemes
  5. I saw some things about 2-4-5, but that doesn’t look like what Duke ran
  6. I guess we will see in Spring
  7. I’ll be kinda impressed if our DL stays low and has good technique
  8. I really hope we get a good secondary coach in place
the problem with the spring only the offense or defense can look good.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Expect to see an aggressive system that gets 11 hats to the ball consistently, maintains assignment discipline, and seeks to dictate to offense through physicality and sound fundamental technique.

I expect to see an emphasis on S&C in general, and to see bigger/more jacked DBs. To stop people you have to win one on one's and get guys on the ground. And if you fail in this you need a bunch of heat-seeking mofos hustling to the ball for back up, and to cause turnovers.

In terms of X's and O's imo good DCs tweak the base D each week in response to the opponent's system/personel/tendencies.

Maybe call it a 4-2-5 that can morph into whatever gives the best chance to stop a specific opponent.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
People are being too prescriptive with what they will run. From what I see, CTS will run what fits the personnel best. You can call it a 4-2-5, where the Edge/LB is more mobile or a 3-3-5 with a stronger OLB. I think either way, he is attacking the offense, and trying to be more disruptive. I like this style better, as we don't typically get the guys that can rush QBs without blitzing. Either way it requires a lot more from the defense to play as a whole. Very exited to see this in the fall.