What type of defensive scheme will Santucci run @ GT?

slugboy

Staff member
Per the interesting article posted by @slugboy , my guess is we will be more of a 3-3-5 with our personnel. One thing I took from that article is that the 4-2-5 requires you to have strong stand-up rushers, and I’m not sure we will have that next year. I also think the new breed of DC can and will fit the scheme around personnel, if they want to succeed. Forcing a rigid scheme no matter what probably has gotten more coaches fired than anything.
The way I read it, and I could be wrong, 4-2-5 has 4 hands in the dirt (basically a 4-3 shifted to a Nickel). A 2-4-5 moves one or both OLB into a rush position, usually standing. A 3-3-5 will usually have 3 hands in the dirt.
I’m not sure if I would get strict about it, but maybe 3-3-5 is a little more “positionless” where LB are moving in and out of rush positions and 2-4-5 is really positionless, where any of the 4 LB can take on multiple roles.

I’ll look, but I don’t expect to know anything until we start playing

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, the 3-3-5 is a derivative of the 3-4, with one former LB in the position of nickel back. That player can be heavier for better run support, or lighter for better pass pro, but he’s got to have good cover skills and he’s got to be able to lay the wood. You can also sub in for down and distance but you can get caught that way by a savvy OC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like a 3-3-5 with personnel to also play a 4-2-5.
But the best thing I like about bringing in Santucci is we will finally be rid of Thacker come Jan 31 and have no leftovers from Scooter's original hires after 5 long years.
um...on defense? Doesn't that depend on what Coleman does? Key? Weren't they hired as part of the initial coaching staff in 2018/19? Didn't Collins hire Weinke?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All I know about Santucci is that Puke went from 116th in 2020 to 31st in 2022. And that meant since the Elko regime only lasted 3 years that most of the experienced players they had in 2022 were there in 2020. And their transfers were not that great a factor; they didn't use the portal that much.

What that tells me is that this guy - and Simpson - knows how to place and develop players. Tech is at about the same place that Duke was in 2020. I expect we'll see some improvement, perhaps after a year - it took that long at Duke - or perhaps sooner. This will be fun to watch. And, of course, will lead to constant controversy at some internet sites we know.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
um...on defense? Doesn't that depend on what Coleman does? Key? Weren't they hired as part of the initial coaching staff in 2018/19? Didn't Collins hire Weinke?
Marco left after 2021 because of Collins and coached at Mich State in 2022. Key brought him back in 2023 after Collins was fired so I don't count him as a Collins hire now. Weinke was not an original Collins hire as he was hired in 2022, and actually Key picked him, not Collins. Key, nor either of these 2 coaches, has the Collins stench.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Marco left after 2021 because of Collins and coached at Mich State in 2022. Key brought him back in 2023 after Collins was fired so I don't count him as a Collins hire now. Weinke was not an original Collins hire as he was hired in 2022, and actually Key picked him, not Collins. Key, nor either of these 2 coaches, has the Collins stench.
I can live with that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
All I know about Santucci is that Puke went from 116th in 2020 to 31st in 2022. And that meant since the Elko regime only lasted 3 years that most of the experienced players they had in 2022 were there in 2020. And their transfers were not that great a factor; they didn't use the portal that much.

What that tells me is that this guy - and Simpson - knows how to place and develop players. Tech is at about the same place that Duke was in 2020. I expect we'll see some improvement, perhaps after a year - it took that long at Duke - or perhaps sooner. This will be fun to watch. And, of course, will lead to constant controversy at some internet sites we know.
Tough schedule this year, but defense can make major improvements because we were really bad.
In 24 I am hoping offense and defense finish strong. HELPS RECRUITING IN BIG WAY AND SETS UP A REALLY BIG YEAR IN 25 WHEN SCHDEULE IS WAY EASIER. 25 is ours to take. Show the world gt is back.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Only watched the Troy cut up, but their DBs seemed to be
Corners - Meg (Many every where he goes)
Nickels and Wills - Mod (Man on Demand, stay in the flats unless a man runs free vertically)
Safeties - Mod (Man of Demand, inside help for the corner, over the top help for the NB and WLB)
Real Similar to Bama and UGA
This was only when they rushed 4 though, the coverage changed when they blitzed.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Secondary wise:
At Duke Their corners bump and run in man alignment with a 2 high shell. Sort of a modified version of Cover 4. Wonder if our secondary will be as aggressive here.
That is one thing that has bothered me about our defenses for years now. I don't even remember the last time I saw our DBs challenge anyone at the line. We always seem to immediately backpedal at the snap. I hope our secondary gets aggressive!

I am not Xs and Os savvy but I feel like being physical at the line is the best way to throw off timing between the QB and WR. In addition, throwing them off the route even for a second can give the DL another second to get to the QB.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That is one thing that has bothered me about our defenses for years now. I don't even remember the last time I saw our DBs challenge anyone at the line. We always seem to immediately backpedal at the snap. I hope our secondary gets aggressive!

I am not Xs and Os savvy but I feel like being physical at the line is the best way to throw off timing between the QB and WR. In addition, throwing them off the route even for a second can give the DL another second to get to the QB.
That is often a matter of the skil of the DB. If the DB can’t regularly get a good jab on the WR and the DB doesn’t possess the speed/quickness of the WR trying to jam a WR at the LOS often results in ing TD reception.

How many former GT Cornerbacks do you see playing on Sundays? None that I can think of.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Guess there may not be an introductory PR for the new hires until after the DB coach is assigned or until the next dead period is in recruiting (whenever that is). I am interested in hearing what all they have to say but I am even more curious to see the product/process/training results producing fruit on the field at game time.