What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
If we win 7 but get blown out by UGA then I think it will be hard to keep him here.

Not sure now we can win 7 and it seems pretty likely that UGAG will be a blowout, might rival Chan's infamous 51-7 debacle

Most teams tend to improve during the season, can't rag on O too much but D has taken steps very much in the wrong direction

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem isn't CPJ even though I think it will take 7+ wins to keep him here. We keep hiring the wrong type of defensive coordinator for the talent we have been recruiting on that side of the ball. We have to find someone who can be as creative on defense as we are on offense to make this thing work. I know he wasn't well liked but if we still had Tenuta on defense we would win at least two more games a year.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I not saying we will beat georgia but duel threat qbs scare me to death so I think Clemson if Watson is back will be worse

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I personally like PJ, but as I stated last year, I have finally come to the conclusion that overcoming the extra handicap of his system in recruiting probably won't be possible. So, although I want to be wrong, I have no idea how he can ever get our talent level up another 20-25%, which is what is needed, in my opinion.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line for me, he either has to go 8-4, or 7-5 with a victory over Ugag. Anything less and he should be let go.

I am really surprised at the poll results of the number of people that want to keep him no matter what.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I see us finishing 7-5 at best with no victory over UGA. I thought at the end of last year it was time for a change, but surprisingly I am not sure at this point what is best for the program. It concerns me that every time I look to see who we are in competition with for most of our recruits, it seems to be GA Southern, the UABS, Middle Tennessees, etc. I think our program has a rich history and should be "marketed" much better. Maybe the additional recruiting staff will help as it seems our current class looks a little better. CPJ is getting paid 2.7 million per year and he needs to get it figured out on Defense as well as Offense. Putting your D coordinator down in the media is not going to solve it. Sitting down with him and making changes will. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and if that means converting a couple of O line to D line, then you do it. In the meantime, our D has to blitz to have a chance. I would rather get beat that way, then continually get gashed the way we are trying to do this. Maybe put Gotsis at DE while Gamble plays the interior. Something different needs to be done and this is where CPJ needs to step up and provide some leadership instead of negative comments. I also think he should play Leggett, not necessarily to salvage this season, but to be ready for next season. At this point I would give the staff another year, but they have to start making some better tactical decisions.

Bottom line for me, he either has to go 8-4, or 7-5 with a victory over Ugag. Anything less and he should be let go.

I am really surprised at the poll results of the number of people that want to keep him no matter what.
The participants on this site eschew confrontation and are policed by the admin to be on a positive slant. The electorate here is not a representative cross-section of the alumni/fans at large. The results are not at all surprising. Everyone here loves Paul, loves the kids, loves Tech, and loves 7 wins and a bowl loss.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
As a long time Tech observer the pattern I have noticed over the years is that a lot of things have to come together in just the right way at just the right time for Tech to be a dominant team. CPJ's record compares favorably with any coach we have had since Dodd. The reason for that is that even when the planets do not line up just right to create a dominating team, he is at least able to put a team on the field that is competitive. I would not even discuss getting rid of CPJ until after 2016.

He isn't going anywhere.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow

'91.. I respect your opinion... For me, it's very difficult to evaluate a leader of ANY organization by looking at any single event (or a couple of events) during the course of a year and determine "they should go"... GT Football is a business, pure and simple, and like any other business, leadership is evaluated on many things. You will never see a serious business evaluate senior leadership based on this weeks Staff Meeting, or this months sales performance. They are evaluated on the direction of the organization, their impact on team morale, their ability to specifically address the obstacles standing between current results and the company's stated goals.

I do not know PJ, have never met him, and have ZERO personal bias one way or the other with him... I believe that if we look at things objectively we might conclude that running him off would be a terrible idea for our program.

We act as if our program was performing at the highest level until PJ got here and wrecked it.... that is simply not true.

The players respect him, he is, I believe, a "winner"...he has a defiant, winning attitude, and respects the players by believing in their ability and DEMANDING their very best. That is respect, and it is appreciated by competitors. The opposite, for comparison, is "Oh, bless their hearts, they're trying but just aren't that good".... a weak and pathetic trait that I have NEVER seen exhibited by Coach Johnson.

-He saw the need to improve Special Teams and he did something about it.
-He saw the need to improve graduation rates and has been very successful raising those rates
-He saw the need to recruit a QB that fits the offense and he successfully found JT... JT is good now and will only be better the next 2.5 years
-He saw the need to improve defensively and made a legitimate effort by hiring Coach Roof... he has not yet been successful in this effort yet. This one is critical and MUST be addressed... it is a deal breaker if not fixed quickly (next year or two)
-He saw the need to ramp up recruiting across the board and by all accounts has been successful in gaining some level of support from the administration to broaden the pool of prospects we can recruit and enroll.. the value of this cannot be over stated... that support most likely came as the result of them having confidence in PJ and his demonstrated results in monitoring academic performance by the players and rising graduation rates. The 2015 class, I think we would all agree, is loaded. It represents demonstrated improvement and "payout" for his efforts in broadening our pool of approachable prospects.
-He has been consistent, fair, and DECISIVE in dealing with disciplinary issues... that, in any organization, builds trust, confidence, loyalty. Those things build winning organizations. It fills each individual contributor with a desire for the "team" to reach it's desired outcome.

For all our challenges and frustrations (many of which I share) we would make a significant mistake running off the leader of our organization right now. In fact, we are doing ourselves a disservice even talking about it.

I'm not sure what the results will be from our "enhanced" recruiting capabilities will be but early results are very favorable. Let a few cycles play out and let's evaluate then. I will be investing my energy and whatever money and influence I can towards the support of our program. I want that 5th NC and I genuinely believe we can achieve that in the next 3-5 years. My part is small, but all of our small parts are huge.

Hope you have a great Sunday my friend!