What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really don't get why people get so defensive over just asking what it takes for them to want to keep CPJ here...It's like the only opinion that is allowed is to keep him. I haven't even said one thing about how I feel and people get all worked up. It's fine to have that thought but at least be able to discuss it like the one's that have certain expectations do.
Like I said, it's too early after an emotional loss to discuss this rationally.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If you're lumping me in "people that want to keep CPJ" I'm not sure why. I haven't offered an opinion either way.

But my comment was made based on my reflections of the community here at this point rather than any perceived opinion on CPJ's job security. I think we past the Eternal September at some point very early in the season. A post like this after a game like that is like throwing a piece of meat into a pack of starving dogs.

If the thread turns out differently than I'm more than happy to be wrong.

I guess I have diffrent expectations then, the loss tonight hurts but I can look past that for a question like this...

and I think everyone is this thread has done that so far.

as of now over half say keep him no matter what.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I really don't get why people get so defensive over just asking what it takes for them to want to keep CPJ here...It's like the only opinion that is allowed is to keep him. I haven't even said one thing about how I feel and people get all worked up. It's fine to have that thought but at least be able to discuss it like the one's that have certain expectations do.

Because many of us have seen very similar threads before on other sites (I'm not even talking strictly GT here) and watched them completely derail into a massive flame fest and are not really interested in seeing it again. It's not an attack on you or anyone's opinion on the matter, at least on my end. I think the emotions are just too raw after a loss like that for any worthwhile discussion to actually present itself.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess I have diffrent expectations then, the loss tonight hurts but I can look past that for a question like this...

and I think everyone is this thread has done that so far.

as of now over half say keep him no matter what.
I don't even say keep him no matter what. I think the issue is more complicated than the choices provided. For example, has he lost the locker room is a big part of it for me.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Because many of us have seen very similar threads before on other sites (I'm not even talking strictly GT here) and watched them completely derail into a massive flame fest and are not really interested in seeing it again. It's not an attack on you or anyone's opinion on the matter, at least on my end. I just think the emotions are just too raw for any worthwhile discussion to actually present itself.

Maybe I am naive then.,,but I really think we can prevent that from happening and having a honest discussion.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe that is my fault then...really didn't mean this as a bait post. Figured most would have simmered down by now and could be honest about where they stand.
It did come across as a bait post... That being said, don't apologize for not farting rainbows like certain members here expect. I prefer realistic and knowledgeable discussion to that.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Some will be forced to like Henderson and Glanton but to expect true Fr to come in and make a big diffrence right away is a lot...takes a SPECIAL player like Morgan Burnett, D Morg, etc...With that said KeShun Freeman has played very well for a young guy.
I like both Henderson and Glanton, but both are undersized. Both can be a piece of the puzzle down the road, but neither are the fix to the DLine problems.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I like both Henderson and Glanton, but both are undersized. Both can be a piece of the puzzle down the road, but neither are the fix to the DLine problems.
Ummm... they're both high schoolers right now.....You are a little out of touch if you expect oven ready DT's to walk out of high school and onto GT's field. The closest we came to that was Tuitt and his mom made sure that didn't happen.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For me I keep CPJ.

I think we end up 7-5 or 8-4 this year.

Looking ahead I want to see what Justin Thomas can do with more time in this offense and another off-season under his belt.

We lose a ton of weapons on offense...Smelter, Laskey, Mason, Zenon, Perkins, Hill, Waller, Days, etc,...combine that with a tough schedule in 2015 and I think CPJ gives us our best chance to win next year.

Recruiting is one a upswing IMO....The 2014 signees and current 2015 commits give us a talent boost. I really belive that. I honestly think that we have some very good players coming in and young guys already in the program.

Defense...our defense is awful this year. One of the worst I can remember...I want to see what happens with a lot of guys returning, young guys adding more experience and getting Hunt-Days back and adding Whitehead to the fold.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I only need one thing from CPJ by year end:

Show progress on D. Show that we'll make teams earn their yards and points. In the entire CPJ tenure, we've never been able to field a competent defense. We've been through 3 D coordinators. I refuse to believe that all of them were bad fits. The one constant in all this is CPJ and for whatever reason, his leadership has not resulted in a competent D

It'll be a shame that we lose a very competent offensive mind if we can him for his inability to field a good D. But it is what it is.

Honestly, there is nobody that wants CPJ to succeed more than I do. He is an amazing offensive coach and has integrity. He graduates players and keeps them out of trouble. So it'll be with a heavy heart that I'll get behind the fire CPJ train.

Hopefully we'll make strides on D and that entire conversation will be moot.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I will be a bit surprised if this doesn't become a fire CPJ thread. But I will play along. Keep him.
Our problems during his era have been ST and def. STs seem to be pretty much corrected IMO. The D still sucks. Our O has been, and continues to be very good. No D in the country looks forward to seeing our O.
We have missed on some big recruits, we have lost a crazy number of Dlineman this year for various and frankly unexpected reasons. Our recruiting class this year is really solid on the D side this year. Major upgrade on that side IMO. So some of our struggles there seem to be trending up. We have an elite QB who makes our whole O elite IMO. I'd hate to throw that baby out with the bath water.
CPJ is the HC. He is ultimately responsible for the offense, defense, and special teams. Firing a 3rd DC is not going to solve the problem. CPJ has had 7 years to right the ship. How many more does he need?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

fair point but I think Henderson will be ready to contribute next year at around 290..Glanton is almost 280 right now...and Scott Morgan will be at DT too IMO.

I think adding them with Whitehead, Hunt-Days and the rest of the young guys gives up a upgrade.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is the HC. He is ultimately responsible for the offense, defense, and special teams. Firing a 3rd DC is not going to solve the problem. CPJ has had 7 years to right the ship. How many more does he need?
I can't wait to see what you have to say when the next guy pulls a Bill Lewis. Maybe we can get Muschamp, yeah, that's the ticket.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't a fire CPJ thread or anything of that nature...Just want to discuss what you it takes for you to want to keep CPJ as coach.

Just trying to get a feel of the fanbase.

This year? He would have to do something really bad that embarrasses the school... as far as performance goes, I think he's doing a pretty good job and I have no interest in running PJ off... I guess if we lost the rest of the games and the team quit on him we would have to do something.... But that's not going to happen, the team plays hard and does NOT quit... we will have more success this year.

That being said, he MUST address our defensive performance. It is Coach Johnson's job to oversee the overall performance of the team. I feel like he addressed Special Teams and has improved that aspect of our performance.

If we are outmanned this year on D (obviously the case) then at least find a way to shake things up and bring some pressure. Sure it's risky but getting killed in single coverage by bombs or being pecked to death by a duck, you're still dead... With creative pressure, we will make a few plays each game that might make the difference.

The staff seems to be having more success identifying and gaining commitments from higher level recruits and we must finish strong this year and take it up yet another notch next year.

I honestly believe if we built a top 40 defense we would be a top 15 team every year. We are NOT getting out head coached, we are getting out manned on defense.

Will get JHD and KW back next year and some stout help coming with 2015 class... We're not as far away as it seems...

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
fair point but I think Henderson will be ready to contribute next year at around 290..Glanton is almost 280 right now...and Scott Morgan will be at DT too IMO.

I think adding them with Whitehead, Hunt-Days and the rest of the young guys gives up a upgrade.

Hope you are right. I just think the philosophy of taking LBers and blowing them up to make them DE's, and DE's blown up to be NG's, and NG's blown up into 3 Techniques is part of our problem. I see both Henderson and Glanton as NGs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hope you are right. I just think the philosophy of taking LBers and blowing them up to make them DE's, and DE's blown up to be NG's, and NG's blown up into 3 Techniques is part of our problem. I see both Henderson and Glanton as NGs.
We've had big guys who couldn't play and that didn't work, either. TJ Barnes ring a bell?