What is your favorite Georgia Tech Bowl Game?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In person ... Citrus Bowl. Hung over and absolutely roasting in the upper deck. Did. Not. Care. Great job of dominating in all phases.
This year's TaxSlayer was fun. But it's second to me to the 14 Orange Bowl. Everybody thought the mighty SEC would roll over Tech. Other way around.

Least favorite ... Independence Bowl loss to Air Force. Bad game. Bad trip. Just bad all around. Could not pay me to go back to Shreveport. Couldn't force me at gunpoint.

Glad the 85 All American Bowl got mentioned.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
My 3 favorite are bowl games that I was able to attend: 1990 Citrus Bowl (still have the program and the Sports Illustrated with Bell on the cover), 2014 Orange Bowl, and 2004 Champs Sports Bowl. The Champs Sports Bowl was the first Tech game that I took my daughter to, she was 7 at the time. She is now a sophomore at Tech, currently in New Zealand on one of Tech's study abroad programs.

My least favorite was another bowl game I was at, the 2009 Orange Bowl. Coldest I have ever been at a football game; felt a lot colder than the reported 49 degree temperature at kickoff.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Christmas day 1991, Tech was playing Stanford in the Aloha bowl game in Hawaii.

They were down and about to loose when they could not drive for a score in the waining minutes. Tech punted. Held them. Forced a punt with very little time left on the clock.

Willie Clay caught that punt and almost ran it back to score. Please note that he should have fair caught it. Almost got annihilated upon catching it. Tech went on to score a touchdown followed by a two point conversion with 14 seconds left to beat Stanford 18 to 17.

While snatching victory from defeat along with watching the game with my father was a truly great thing, that is not why it is so memorable.

After the game, someone interviewed Mr. Clay and asked him, on camera, about what was going through his mind and why he did not fair catch it. Seem to recall that his answer was something like "It was going to be my last punt return at Tech. There was NO WAY I was going to fair catch it".

Talk about a life lesson! Would really like to know what other great things Mr. Clay did after leaving Tech. Sure taught a great lesson about never giving up!

THWG

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
That's so awesome! I love watching the actual broadcast of the game. Much prefer that to slowed down film highlights. It lets you compare the game then to the game now.
Thanks for posting this.
Chris Schinkel and Bud Wilkenson knew nothing about GT because they keep calling them the Rambling Wrecks.:banghead: I wish I could find the 2nd half!

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Been a GT fan since the 80s and was in school in the 90s. Citrus bowl for 90 season best and it's not even close

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
My favorite has got to be the first one I remember watching as a kid. The 97 Carquest bowl where we beat West Virginia in a shootout.

herb

Helluva Engineer
That was a great win because ESPN made it sound like WV would beat GT easily

This was an important game, we were coming out of the B*** L**** era and you could see we had something with little Joe that would lead to great things

Mich State was a lot bigger than GT but GT was a lot faster. Tony Mandarich was a monster for the Spartans he was 307 pounds in 1985 when a quality offensive lineman was around 265.

He also had a little, um, help

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
This was an important game, we were coming out of the B*** L**** era and you could see we had something with little Joe that would lead to great things

He also had a little, um, help
Yeah Tony Mandarich was Poster Boy for Steroids along with former Pitt Panther and Atlanta Falcon Bill Fralic.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Born in early 90's... As a kid, I enjoyed watching PJ Daniels run for ~300 yards vs Tulsa in the 2004 Humanitarian Bowl. I also enjoyed watching Tech beat up on Syracuse the following with some freshman wideout named Calvin Johnson who was pretty good. From 2005 on I believe we went on a bowl losing streak. The 2012 Sun Bowl was ok... but the 2014 Orange Bowl on NYE was awesome! By far my favorite. I will always remember JT's TD run and Golden laying the wood. Also, this game was the primary reason Dak Prescott's success in the NFL surprises me! Don't remember him being very accurate at all against us!