What is your definition of success for the next 3 years?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
if he brings the level of recruits and plays a style of BB (protect the ball, great guard play, good shooters,up tempo) that will convert me back to watching games on a regular basis I will consider him to be a success. I doubt that I have watched 3 games in the last 10 or so years or posted more than 5 times in a BB related thread in the same time frame. Of all the major sports, bad BB is absolutely the worst specator sport for me. Maybe because it was my favorite sport as a kid.

Many of you do not know what GT BB was like prior to Homer Rice and Bobby Cremins. It was in a far worse place than Postner is inheriting. But with CBC, it was clearly obvious by year 2 (certainly by year 3) that we had a winner Like others have said, because of the smaller rosters and greater impact of true FR, things happen quicker in the BB cycle.By the 3rd year we will certainly know what we have. This guy is not a young Bobby C or Mike K coming from an App. State or Army. This guy has already had 7 years at a program that has a richer BB heritage and culture than GT has had over the years.

I was not happy with this hire. But, as with all other coaches GT has hired, I wish him a Hall of Fame career here at the NATS.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are paying him about $2 million to match his performance from last two years.

Going .500 in conference over the next 3 years would be the best 3 year stretch in conference of the past 25 years. Yeah, that's not an unreasonable expectation given the state of the roster at all.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
When was the last time we were. 500 in the ACC? For the first couple of years, .500 would be great.
It has been awhile, but the guy we just fired came real close this season.

Here is a different way to think about this. How many teams were at least .500 in the ACC last 5 years:
2015-2016: 10 out of 15
2014-2015: 8 out of 15
2013-2014: 9 out of 15
2012-2013: 6 out of 12
2011-2012: 7 out of 12

That doesn't even consider many other teams who were really close to .500.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, I said "preferably .500", the absolute minimum is Hewitt who was .409 in ACC.

10 out of 13 of the returning ACC coaches have been at least .409 in their career.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Also, I said "preferably .500", the absolute minimum is Hewitt who was .409 in ACC.

10 out of 13 of the returning ACC coaches have been at least .409 in their career.

Fwiw, I called it a Tall Order because I think we're going to have a hard time getting close this year. We're going to be trying to introduce a new style to a relatively bare cupboard.

We won 8 games this past year, 3 the year before that and 6 the year before that. Now, let's say we win 5 ACC games this year.

To get to 500 over 3 years, we need (obvious math is obvious) to win 27 ACC games in 3 years. That means we have to average 11 ACC wins in years 2 and 3 which would probably put us in the top 5 both years.

That being said, 9 of the 15 ACC teams have been over 500 for the last 3 years combined. So, as a goal, I don't think it's unreasonable, but I think it will be rough to do starting this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone, including Pastner and Bobinski, have any clue what we're going to look like this up coming year. We could bring in a couple of PG's that really get it early and possibly a couple of grad transfers that radically changes the shape and format of this team. Or a couple of our '16 recruits decide not to come and we don't get anyone to replace them. To me, those are opposite ends of the same spectrum.

I honestly believe there is still time for '16-'17 to be a very good year for GT Basketball. I'm reserving my definition of success for the next 3 years until after I see what this team looks like and who the assistant coaches are going to be. I believe we could be anywhere from looking for a new coach to competing for a NC next year, it just depends on the make-up of the team.

I will say this, and I've been looking for a place to share this thought, I think Pastner is right in line with the kind of coach we needed right now. I also think Pastner fits the criteria layed out by Bobinski much better than any other candidate mentioned, with the exclusion of Marshall and Mack. My expectation is that he is going to bring in a couple of kids we weren't able to sniff out (Moore might be one), and we'll have a point guard next year. I also expect him to bring in a scorer (Barry would fit this bill). I expect him to bring out the best in Tadric Jackson and continue the improvement in Lammers.

I expect the '17 recruiting class to be a Top 25 class and for him to continue to recruit at that level. If he brings in a grad transfer this year, I expect he'll have 4-5 spots to fill next year too. It's not like he's not been recruiting kids to play for him, he's just recruiting for a different school now.

I expect to either really suck next year or make the NCAA Tournament. I expect NCAAT every year (even if we're a high/low seed, however you're counting), and to be competitive in the ACC. I expect us to be very competitive in the ACC tourney, and for kids to look at GT as a destination again.

I expect exciting basketball that brings the fans back to the Thriller Dome. I expect packed houses and camping out for student tickets (like when I was there in the late 80's and early 90's). I expect GT basketball to be the buzz of Atlanta again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Hire a great staff, recruit hard and good, go to the NIT in the 2017 season with a decent run into it, and last but not least make the tournament in 2018 and by 2019 make a deep run in the tournament.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
2016-17: win 10 games. Avoid 0-18 in ACC. With the roster we have coming back, nothing more than that is realistic
2017-18: win 6 ACC games and 15 overall
2018-19: finish .500 in ACC and win 20 overall. NIT definitely. NCAA possible

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2016-17: win 10 games. Avoid 0-18 in ACC. With the roster we have coming back, nothing more than that is realistic
2017-18: win 6 ACC games and 15 overall
2018-19: finish .500 in ACC and win 20 overall. NIT definitely. NCAA possible
This is probably the correct expectation. I am not sure I would call it success. You are saying he would reach the level of CBG during his first three seasons.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe I need a mental evaluation, but if we're talking SUCCESS, then I think I ought to be a little aspirational even if the cupboard is thin. This isn't my expectation, though some parts are, but it is what I'd hope for--
Year 1: At least as good a recruiting class as we've seen in the last 5 years, hopefully a young baller or two. Push UNC, UVA, Duke, and Louisville in games--hopefully steal a win. Vibrancy on the court. Have our home games feel like HOME GAMES. Successfully set screens. Five players simultaneously playing defense (when they have the ball) and five playing offense (when we do). Push for an NIT return. Fight to be middle-of-the pack ACC instead of bottom quarter.
Kinda sad that I need those parentheses.
Year 2: Solid recruiting year, with definite ballers. Knock off a Duke/UNC/top conference program or two. Putting the Thrill back in the Thrillerdome. Deep ACC tourney run. At least bubble/NIT, hopefully in. Be above average.
Year 3: Top flight recruiting. Being in the top of the second-tier of the ACC and trying to break in to the top tier. In the tourney and past the first round.

slugboy

Staff member
When was the last time we were. 500 in the ACC? For the first couple of years, .500 would be great.
We were 500 in 2006, at 8-8. So we were AT but not ABOVE.
2003, we went 9-7 in ACC play, so barely above 500 and third in the ACC.
That's it for the 21st century. Most years, we're way, way, way below 500.

Link to ESPN ACC Standings

Last edited:

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
2004 was the only time in past 20 years Tech has been above 500 in the ACC (9-7). They've had 10+ losses overall every season except one in past 30 years.

I don't think it's realistic to expect Pastner to hit those levels in year one when he inherits a painful roster. Year two may be better (depending on who he is able to recruit). I think .500 in the ACC is year three in a wildly optimistic view.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Current post season and future post seasons - RECRUIT and LAND TOP players (a couple of grad transfers that can play)

16/17 - Make GT basketball "watchable" by most fans. (Watched or listened to every game since '81, but know that isn't what "most fans" do.) even if we only win 10 games, make them look like we have a "clue" when it come to inbound plays, etc.

17/18 - Mo' talent = better basketball - get at least an NIT bid.

18/19 - Assuming that ACC level talent is coming and that at least 4 GT starters would get substantial playing time at "top" ACC schools. NIT minimum, NCAA bubble. Get at least 1st day bye in ACC Tourney.

19/20 - NCAA Big Dance and get to the second round. 20+ wins before any Tourney action...