What is your definition of success for the next 3 years?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
An NCAA tournament selection in the next 3 years is the minimum for me.

Given the state of the program and next year's roster as of today, both things independent of our new coach, that achievement is not automatic. That said, getting to the NCAA tournament is still doable given GT's potential and where we've been not too long ago. I think a good coach gets us there.

We were close this year on the backs of 1 Senior and mostly transfers. I maintain there are coaches that would have gotten this past year's roster to the tournament.

Anything less than one tourney bid will give me significant reason to worry, and in that scenario my going-in feeling is we should/will be searching to replace 1 or 2 positions.

What say you?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see us in the big dance by year 3, but even if we are not, as long as the trajectory is in the upward direction, I'd be cool with that. JP really needs to keep the 3 commits we have on board and maybe grabbing another recruit or transfer would be a great start to his tenure.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Year 1 - success has little to do with wins and losses. All about how well he can get the guys to do what he wants them to and how well he can recruit. Obviously if he pulls out a late season miracle and drastically improves the talent level overnight then this changes but if he does that then he's already exceeding expectations.
Year 2 - improvement in terms of record over year 1. Did he address the issues that were wrong with the previous year, both in terms of recruiting to what the team lacked as well as better utilizing the players as he became more familiar with them. Competitive in the ACC, but this very well could be relying on a lot of young players from his first class.
Year 3. This somewhat depends. If he can bring in a PG recruit for this class, Moore maybe, then this should be an NCAAT year. If Moore sticks with memphis, and we have to wait until next year to land a PG, then NIT with an upward outlook, as opposed to the downward one of this year.

Year 4 is the year I look at as the year that is the latest we could make the NCAAT and the hire to be a success. That would put his first real class as juniors, and a solid class, as long as it stays together, as seniors.

One thing that I really hope he does though is get away from the over reliance on transfers.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Year 1: .500 record.
Year 2: Above .500 record, NIT team, possibly bubble team.
Year 3: NCAA team.

I am willing to give him a bit of a pass on the first year considering how bare the cupboard is. I expect recruiting to improve pretty significantly over the previous coach.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
This offseason: Maintain Romello White and add Charlie Moore and/or another good recruit or grad transfer

Next season: Avoid being awful

17-18: Show signs of promise and at least make NIT

18-19: Make tournament and either have impressive run or show signs of a good year for 19-20 (in other words, not making the tournament as an 11-seed, losing a play in game, and then losing 4/5 starters)

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Year 1: .500 record.
Year 2: Above .500 record, NIT team, possibly bubble team.
Year 3: NCAA team.

I am willing to give him a bit of a pass on the first year considering how bare the cupboard is. I expect recruiting to improve pretty significantly over the previous coach.

This is pretty much where I'm at, except I don't think we'll get to .500 next year based on the strength of the conference and our lack of returning impact players. That expectation changes if he can add an impact player to the current recruiting class. As much as it hurts to say it, I would be ecstatic if we finish .500 next season.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
We have been mediocre for so long, its hard to gauge what would be successful and what the expectations should be. I would agree with most that by the 3rd year we should be in the NCAAT discussion. 4th year should be locked in, maybe somewhere in the top half of ACC at the end of the year.

I think if he recruits as well as he is capable of, we will see positive results.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pastner being the hire changes the definition for me.

If he's a recruiter, as many suspect, then he should have pieces to play with quickly and by '17 at the latest. He's not someone we hire to be average in that regard. I'm not banking on court scheme nor consistent player development as his primary path forward based on history.

If it were Bryce Drew, for example, I'd expect less swinging for the fences (i.e., maybe longer path to success) combined with methodical improvement.

Definitely an oversimplification, just throwing it out there. And I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Hopefully Pastner has a humble awareness of his deficiencies and can improve/hide them with GT.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm currrently back in Philly and watching the Villanova National Championship Parade on TV. Over 10,000 people are downtown for it.

I hope to one day get back to a level where this is possible. [Getting 10k in Atlanta for GT? Eh, but the rest of it haha]

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yr 1: Keep all players we were counting on being here next year before firing. Add 1 noteworthy player, fr or tr. Team plays with intensity, buy-in.

Yr 2: Lose no more than 2, no more than 1 in any class, to transfer. Bring in improved recruiting class. Show more signs of developing identity on both sides of ball. Beat bottom tier compete with upper tier.

Yr 3: as above with ncaa tourney invite

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Year 1: bring in a top recruit or top transfer to help us get to
.500 on the year

Year 2: Clean up in recruiting, and win 18-20 games

Year 3: Win 22+ games and make the tourney.

Year 4: make at least the sweet 16

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow some of y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. We have played in the postseason twice in the last nine seasons (once in the NCAA and once in the NIT). We have won 20 games the same number of times in the last 9 seasons and those two are the only seasons with more than 16 wins. We have only been above .500 in three of the last 9 seasons. Now we expect Pastner to come in with the roster we have coming back and get us to .500 in year one and in the Tourney by year three or he will be a disappointment?

We need to get realistic here. I think that GT is a sleeping giant with a lot of positives...Great City, Great Recruiting Bed, Great Facilities. I think a more realistic set of accomplishments would be...
Year 1... just hold on to what we have and show some improvement throughout the season. Be competitive late in the year. 10 wins would be reasonable.
Year 2... .500, good recruiting, marked improvement
Year 3... NIT bid
Year 4... 20+ wins, NCAA bubble team (this will be his first recruiting classes Junior year). First real opportunity to have upperclassmen that aren't Gregory guys or Transfers.

Anything better than the above with were we are as a program would be amazing.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
  1. NCAA tournament the 2nd year.
  2. Deeper run the 3rd year.
  3. Maintain the high APR.
  4. Continue what CBG did to get former players involved.
  5. Fill McCamish every game, even when we lose, because we're exciting and fun to watch.