What If

It is sometimes the things that happen that can change everything. What if, in 2007 Calvin Johnson does not declare for the draft and comes back his senior year. We would have him Bey Bey, Tashard, Dwyer, a pretty good defense and probably Nesbitt. then let's say we win the Coastal. Well, Gailey would not have been fired and we would not have CPJ as our coach. We would continue on to languish After 2008 and would not have the success. we have.

I happen to think CPJ is one of the best coaches we have ever had. Of course I did not see Heisman, Alexander, or Dodd, but I have seen all the rest.

northgajacket

Banned
I honestly think Gailey was on extremely thin ice and probably would have been fired if not for the buyout (barring a division title or Conference title), Nesbitt only played spot duty in 2007 and IIRC many on defense were really young (Burnett, Morgan, Tarrant, Butler). Honestly I don't think Calvin coming back would have made a huge difference.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm an admitted CCG apologist. I love CPJ and think DRad knocked that hire out of the park. I was very disappointed with CCG's firing, and hiring CPJ was one of the few hires that I could get on board with. Feel very fortunate that GT was fortunate enough to get CPJ as our coach. CCG was my coach, and I respect him greatly for both on the field stuff and off the field stuff.

Anyway, here's my rationale for sticking with CCG. He had JUST turned around recruiting in '07 and then you're going to fire him the next year. He didn't even get a chance to coach the guys who made the best class in GT history. He had made 2 key decisions - 1 to get rid of the recruiting coordinator (and special teams coach) and 2 to hire Giff Smith, both extremely significant moves. There was going to be a big payoff for that no matter who our future coach was. So, imagine GT with 2007 classes year after year from then on because that's what it had become - the culture had changed. The other big piece is that CCG had 2 out of 3 major categories nailed - defense and the running game - we were top 20 in defense every year and led the ACC in rushing (or top 3) every year. ALL we needed was improvement at ONE position (we all know what it is, no need to say it). So, pull a Dabo and keep hiring coaches until you find the right guy (in this case OC/QB coach), but don't rip out the whole thing when it was almost there. The uga games in '06 and '07 were the most asinine games ever - the UT game this year being in that same vein. We dominated them on the field and somehow lose (both had referee calls playing huge roles). I actually think Taylor Bennett was starting to play strong and could've been pretty darn good as a senior (keeping the same OC - forgot his name - the guy after Coach Nix), but what would've been very interesting to see is how either Josh Nesbitt or Steven Threet were going to totally change the outlook of the position. So, again, imagine GT with CJT keeping top 20 defenses, Choice and Dwyer (Dwyer for the next 3 years) making the running game even better. We had a very good OL coach in Coach D'Allesandris and were going to be better there as well through stronger recruiting. In your scenario, adding Calvin for that last year. Improving the QB play significantly. And, top 15 recruiting classes. I don't feel unjustified to say that we would've seen comparable success to what CPJ has brought here. I know that view may be contrarian to this board because people had their minds made up (for them?) on CCG. People also felt that way about Frank Beamer his first 6 years also right before he turned it around and became national title contenders. All he needed was a quarterback ... that's all we needed too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm an admitted CCG apologist. I love CPJ and think DRad knocked that hire out of the park. I was very disappointed with CCG's firing, and hiring CPJ was one of the few hires that I could get on board with. Feel very fortunate that GT was fortunate enough to get CPJ as our coach. CCG was my coach, and I respect him greatly for both on the field stuff and off the field stuff.

Anyway, here's my rationale for sticking with CCG. He had JUST turned around recruiting in '07 and then you're going to fire him the next year. He didn't even get a chance to coach the guys who made the best class in GT history. He had made 2 key decisions - 1 to get rid of the recruiting coordinator (and special teams coach) and 2 to hire Giff Smith, both extremely significant moves. There was going to be a big payoff for that no matter who our future coach was. So, imagine GT with 2007 classes year after year from then on because that's what it had become - the culture had changed. The other big piece is that CCG had 2 out of 3 major categories nailed - defense and the running game - we were top 20 in defense every year and led the ACC in rushing (or top 3) every year. ALL we needed was improvement at ONE position (we all know what it is, no need to say it). So, pull a Dabo and keep hiring coaches until you find the right guy (in this case OC/QB coach), but don't rip out the whole thing when it was almost there. The uga games in '06 and '07 were the most asinine games ever - the UT game this year being in that same vein. We dominated them on the field and somehow lose (both had referee calls playing huge roles). I actually think Taylor Bennett was starting to play strong and could've been pretty darn good as a senior (keeping the same OC - forgot his name - the guy after Coach Nix), but what would've been very interesting to see is how either Josh Nesbitt or Steven Threet were going to totally change the outlook of the position. So, again, imagine GT with CJT keeping top 20 defenses, Choice and Dwyer (Dwyer for the next 3 years) making the running game even better. We had a very good OL coach in Coach D'Allesandris and were going to be better there as well through stronger recruiting. In your scenario, adding Calvin for that last year. Improving the QB play significantly. And, top 15 recruiting classes. I don't feel unjustified to say that we would've seen comparable success to what CPJ has brought here. I know that view may be contrarian to this board because people had their minds made up (for them?) on CCG. People also felt that way about Frank Beamer his first 6 years also right before he turned it around and became national title contenders. All he needed was a quarterback ... that's all we needed too.

I appreciate you and your loyalty to a good man who gave you the right to wear the uni.

However, Nix was on our sideline too long, even if it was CCG's offense. The comparison between O under Chan and D under Paul is legit imo, but our overall results has been better under Paul.

Look, CCG as a man was not the issue. What the issue was is he tried to run a pro style offense at Tech. For all we would wish we will never recruit a QB and enough players to do this. Fact is there are not many college teams that can succeed running a pro style. What CPJs offense does is take what we can get and flip the tables. His principles of offense are not new or old, it is to get numbers and block. What does help Tech is the pace of the offense keeps our defense off the field and as I have pointed out before, that is the weakness of Tech. We can not recruit D-lineman like other schools because fact is....the position does not require nor have smart kids.