What If

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
That was the end of Chan, if that had not happened and he had won against UGAG a couple of times he would have survived. I dont miss him, if he was an offensive genius i am Minnie Pearl
Careful gramps! you're reallyshowing your age and making me old cause I know who you are talking about!!

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all don't forget that the entry requirements to get into GT have gone up since CCG was here, and as a result the football entry requirements have gone up, too. I never met the man, but based on everything i've seen/read, he wouldn't have been the type to go and get the concession CPJ has to get some guys in that may not meet all the requirements but that CPJ thinks can graduate. Also, a lot of guys in that vaunted 2007 recruiting class were guys whose moms were in the same sorority in college. CCG also allegedly saved several years' worth of "exceptions" for that class, something he was reportedly told he couldn't do again. There was a "perfect storm" element to that class, and thinking we could've duplicated that every year is a bit naive, IMO. I'm not as close to the situation as Vamos is/was, however, so I don't have a complete picture...

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
"If" that happened, along with that returning talent, Chan and Tanuta would still find a way to go 7-5 and lose to UGA 15-12....

In the 2006 ACCCG, we had a 1st-and-goal inside the 5. On the field were Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, a mobile quarterback, and multiple offensive linemen who would see time in the NFL. We had to settle for a field goal after losing tons of yards on a WR-Reverse (Yes.... A WR-Reverse inside the five yard line).

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
In the 2006 ACCCG, we had a 1st-and-goal inside the 5. On the field were Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, a mobile quarterback, and multiple offensive linemen who would see time in the NFL. We had to settle for a field goal after losing tons of yards on a WR-Reverse (Yes.... A WR-Reverse inside the five yard line).
To the outside eye, that is a microcosm of CCG's time at Georgia Tech.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yep you are right it was 1978 I was thinking about. The mere mention of his name is enough to send a friend who is a Florida alumnus into a rage. According to him, Doug managed to squander more talent than any Gator coach in history except maybe Ron Zook. He came back to Florida Field one time as the visiting AD at Tennessee and when his name was announced the entire stadium erupted in boos.
Here's a bad moment for Doug at Florida in 1974. The 1974 Florida Gayters went to the Sugar Bowl with an 8-3 record to play 8-3 Nebraska(Who they lost to 13-10). The 1974 Gayters lost to 7-3-2 Vanderbilt,6-6 Georgia and 6-5 Kentucky.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Here's a bad moment for Doug at Florida in 1974. The 1974 Florida Gayters went to the Sugar Bowl with an 8-3 record to play 8-3 Nebraska(Who they lost to 13-10). The 1974 Gayters lost to 7-3-2 Vanderbilt,6-6 Georgia and 6-5 Kentucky.

Doug had lots of "bad moments" The infamous "Fourth and Dumb" most notably. It is right up there with more recent horror stories for Gator fans such as the "Swindle in the Swamp" against FSU and the utter collapse during the "Choke at Doak" Anyway, that guy was just plain sorry and I am glad he was at Florida and not Tech. It took Charley Pell nearly three years to rebuild that program and it damn near killed him.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Doug had lots of "bad moments" The infamous "Fourth and Dumb" most notably. It is right up there with more recent horror stories for Gator fans such as the "Swindle in the Swamp" against FSU and the utter collapse during the "Choke at Doak" Anyway, that guy was just plain sorry and I am glad he was at Florida and not Tech. It took Charley Pell nearly three years to rebuild that program and it damn near killed him.
Bobby Dodd really wanted Doug to coach the Jackets in 1967 and he almost did.:p;)