What if CPJ had Bama or Climpsuns players...?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In 1985, Oklahoma ran the wishbone offense (not all that dissimilar to what CPJ runs today unless you are into the technical differences).

They won the national championship that year.

They completed 24 passes THE ENTIRE SEASON.

I think CPJ would do pretty well with that level of talent.
Well, answer this why do teams with that level of talent not run triple option. They cannot recruit to that offense and we cant either.

Well, answer this why do teams with that level of talent not run triple option. They cannot recruit to that offense and we cant either.

They don't run that offense because bigger,faster LBs and bigger, faster DBs have made the offense obsolete, as has the rise of numerous, speedy WRs.

On the other side of the ball, there's a reason teams don't play the Bears 46 Defense anymore either, even though it used to work. The multiple-WR / spread offense made that obsolete. Same kinda thing that happened to the TO amongst teams playing non-gimmick football.

Deleted member 2897

They don't run that offense because bigger,faster LBs and bigger, faster DBs have made the offense obsolete, as has the rise of numerous, speedy WRs.

On the other side of the ball, there's a reason teams don't play the Bears 46 Defense anymore either, even though it used to work. The multiple-WR / spread offense made that obsolete. Same kinda thing that happened to the TO amongst teams playing non-gimmick football.

LOLOLOLOLOL

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
IMO we have gotten a glimpse of what CPJ can do with elite talent. Just look at his time at Ga Southern. Throughout the 80's & 90's they had more talent, speed, etc than just about every other Div 1AA program (like Bama & CU now). In his 5 yrs as HC he won 86% of his games and went to 3 nat'l championships, winning 2 of them. Give CPJ Bama's roster, & we're in playoff contention every year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ok...... never said it was a fact, I'm pretty sure I said I BELIEVE. But yea let's neglect that we have over 50 percent less majors than most schools, around the bottom 5 in funding of power 5 schools, 2nd smallest staff in the ACC, haven't updated locker rooms since early 2000's but those things don't matter at all, and they aren't actually limitations, they are positives, right? The other coaches before CPJ were not even close to being behind like that. So we must compare apples to apples. I'll tell you what though, my comment still stands that idk of another coach that has gotten more out of a group of kids than CPJ. You forget about the 2014 season when we had a bunch of kids playing from a recruiting class in the 60's, can you show me another coach who has done that? If you don't like my OPINION that's perfectly fine but no need to be upset over it, it's called an opinion. And BTW because another school won't pay CPJ to run what he does doesn't mean my opinion is in error, you just made a statement with no FACTS, it was an assumption. IMO CPJ isn't at another school or being offered because they don't want to run what he does, that doesn't mean he couldnt win a national championship with Alabama players which is what this thread is about.

I don't think there is any question that we have significant recruiting obstacles that need addressing. Could he win a national championship with Clemson type talent? No one knows. Players like that are not too keen on running the triple option for one thing. But if we had Clemson's defense AND their coaches boy howdy there would be no stopping the triple option. In fact, I would say that if we just had Clemson's players on defense and our usual talent on offense we would be in the running IF special teams were better.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well the ACC is arguably the best football conference in the country. And our permanent crossover is the National Champion Clemson. And our permanent rival is who should compete for it every year georgia. And our recruiting classes are in the bottom third of the ACC. And our spending is in the bottom third of the ACC. So to average almost 8 wins a season is a monumental beat down of what we have to deal with.

Just think about next season's schedule:
* We play 3 Top 7 teams from this year, including 2 in the CFP (Clemson, georgia, Miami).
* We play @ USF. A team who won 9 games (and has a chance to win 10) and their only 2 losses were by less than 1 score.
* We play @ Louisville. A team who despite having what most would call a bad year still won 8 games (and has a chance to win 9).
* We play @ Virginia Tech. A team who won 9 games (and has a chance to win 10).
Even if we ran the table on our other 6 games, we'd have to win 2 of these games to win 8. Given that we probably won't run the table, then you're looking at having to win at least 3 of these.

Next year's schedule looks to be every bit as challenging as this year's schedule was. If we don't play better, we may not make a bowl next year either. Best to look on the bright side and think that we will at least see the Jackets play some really good teams.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ were at Alabama or CU they wouldn’t have Alabama or CU level talent about three years into his reign.

The differential between Georgia Southern and it’s competitors was also far greater than at Alabama or Clemson. Talk about a place that was easy to recruit to.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What offense would allow Tech to reel in the 4 and 5 star athletes?
That is for the next coach to decide, i do know this though. Before we went to this offense, we were at least in the ball park for some of the top recruits, we were at least making their lists. Now we are competing for recruits against Navy, Ga Southern, Army and teams like MTSU. We cannot continue down this road.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That is for the next coach to decide, i do know this though. Before we went to this offense, we were at least in the ball park for some of the top recruits, we were at least making their lists. Now we are competing for recruits against Navy, Ga Southern, Army and teams like MTSU. We cannot continue down this road.

Bulls**t, Tech is on more top recruits list now than ever before. Go back and look at the offer lists for the classes of '16 and '17 as well as the incoming class. 2007 was 10 years ago and Gailey NEVER came close to that type of class otherwise.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
You should go refresh your memory on our current commits. What you’re saying is untrue.

Bulls**t, Tech is on more top recruits list now than ever before. Go back and look at the offer lists for the classes of '16 and '17 as well as the incoming class. 2007 was 10 years ago and Gailey NEVER came close to that type of class otherwise.

And 10 years later, CPJ hasn't come NEAR as close to that class, nor will he ever as long as we're running this scheme.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
And 10 years later, CPJ hasn't come NEAR as close to that class, nor will he ever as long as we're running this scheme.

Did I say he had? But overall his recruit classes are well ahead of CCG. I like the trend over the last 3 classes and feel it will continue. And I will say this, it doesn't matter what scheme is used at Tech the recruiting classes will never be top 15-20 consistently. If anyone thinks going to a spread or pro style is magically going to bring a huge influx of talent I would love for them to provide supporting data to back it up.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bingo, i dont expect top 10-15 recruiting classes but, with another scheme i could see classes in the 30-35 range. We are falling far behind on a level with Wake or Duke

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Bingo, i dont expect top 10-15 recruiting classes but, with another scheme i could see classes in the 30-35 range. We are falling far behind on a level with Wake or Duke

Tech is close to that exact range, 2015 39 with 27 signees, 41 2017 with 24 signees. 2016 was 67 but with only 18 signees. 2018 currently is 53 with 17 commitments, I fully expect '18 to wind up in the mid 30's or slightly higher. Part of the ranking formula is in direct correlation with the number of commitments so '16 reflect that impact with fewer commitments.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Explain to me this how come we have been near the bottom of the ACC recruiting rankings for the past 4 or 5 years.