What if Calvin Johnson became Tech's WR coach?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Or, a graduate assistant? Or, a member of the recruiting department? I suspect Tech would get a big boost among high-caliber talent.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'd question how good of a coach he could be. The advice "be 6'5", run a 4.3 forty, have fantastic hands and be strong an ox" doesn't always apply.

(I'm joking. Mostly)

My thoughts are in line with this. How could you ever please a coach like Calvin? Every ball is catchable, double/ triple coverages doesn't exist. It's reason why superstars don't make good coaches because of their idea of what standard is or should be is unrealistic

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd question how good of a coach he could be. The advice "be 6'5", run a 4.3 forty, have fantastic hands and be strong an ox" doesn't always apply.

(I'm joking. Mostly)

You're joking (mostly) but you're right. As ibee said, there'd be no pleasing Coach Mega.

Player: "But Coach, the guy was all over me .."
Coach Mega: "Well, why didn't you just jump over him?"
Player: :unsure::depressed:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So if Calvin comes back to get a degree does that mean he'll be eligible for one more year? :p

No need for him to coach at that point.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Having Calvin as a coach, in some fashion, whether GA or otherwise, could have its benefits. Recruiting alone could skyrocket at that position, knowing we have a HOFer on the practice field. I don't know Calvin and I have no idea how good he would be, straight up, as a coach, but, this much I feel sure about, the guy had talent, character, intelligence, and work ethic. If he could transfer that alone to the kids in our program, I would be happy. We are recruiting mostly big guys to play WR. Calvin was great at using his body to shield defenders etc. As good as he is communicating through the press etc, it is hard for me to believe he couldn't get the message across to young players trying to find their way. C'mon Calvin. Give us some help here. We love you man.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Having Calvin as a coach, in some fashion, whether GA or otherwise, could have its benefits. Recruiting alone could skyrocket at that position, knowing we have a HOFer on the practice field. I don't know Calvin and I have no idea how good he would be, straight up, as a coach, but, this much I feel sure about, the guy had talent, character, intelligence, and work ethic. If he could transfer that alone to the kids in our program, I would be happy. We are recruiting mostly big guys to play WR. Calvin was great at using his body to shield defenders etc. As good as he is communicating through the press etc, it is hard for me to believe he couldn't get the message across to young players trying to find their way. C'mon Calvin. Give us some help here. We love you man.
Agree just to have him would be great at anything.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Even if he doesn't officially join the staff (which is a major long shot), I expect we will see him hanging out around the team while he finishing up his degree. Just his presence on campus will be a huge bonus for us.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Great point on work etic BG.

People forget how hard Calvin worked. Bebe pretty much took his lead from CJ. Combine amazing work ethic with that kind of physical talent and there is no stopping it.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
CJ deserved to play on a winning team in the pro's. Same for Barry Sanders.
Barry Sanders did play in the NFC championship game against Washington. He also played in the play offs 2 or 3 other years. Detroit did not bottom out until the early 2000's.