What I expect to see from the defense this weekend

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With all of these calls for extra blitzing, which I agree with btw, I hope you all are willing to tolerate a few run outs, because they are most likely to happen in that scenario. It is not so much about keeping them from scoring or how long it takes them to score, but rather how many total stops we get. If pressure gets us two more stops out of a dozen possessions, then that is what we do. It might be painful watching an orange jersey streak down the field, but the more TOP tips in our favor, the more effective our O becomes. The longer stretches of time their O sits (and freezes) the better. I would rather they score quick 4 times than score 4 times on slow drawn out drives. We want those.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think on a radio show CPJ said he thought Roof had not even gone home at that point (a Monday evening) after a bad defensive performance on Saturday, maybe it was after the loss to UNC then? So the idea was that Roof spent the entirety of Sunday night and through Monday in the office and film room and trying to work out ways to get improvement on D.

I saw it last year, in second halves early this year, and seeing it again the last few games that it does seem like Roof and the present d coaches are better capable of making adjustments and showing improvements in performance of the players they have than previous ones under CPJ.

I really hope that Roof really comes through with our D over the next two years. Not just for the team performance, but I'd like for him to be our next HC and break the former GT player turned coach records. He is true GT, starting with the Captain of the Black Watch and now coming back for this. I agree that we are slowly evolving based on what we have and what we don't have.

With all of these calls for extra blitzing, which I agree with btw, I hope you all are willing to tolerate a few run outs, because they are most likely to happen in that scenario. It is not so much about keeping them from scoring or how long it takes them to score, but rather how many total stops we get. If pressure gets us two more stops out of a dozen possessions, then that is what we do. It might be painful watching an orange jersey streak down the field, but the more TOP tips in our favor, the more effective our O becomes. The longer stretches of time their O sits (and freezes) the better. I would rather they score quick 4 times than score 4 times on slow drawn out drives. We want those.

I want to keep our D off the field so that when we get to the fourth qtr, our D is as effective as possible. Just have to remember that while their O is chillin, so is our D! But psychologically, I think it's harder on the O than the D since the O has to execute and the D has to disrupt.

Our ability to establish the running game, maybe via the pass, is key to the game. The cold weather should be good for our O. And we have the conditioning and depth this year to hang the whole game on O. I don't see us winning if we throw 30 times (history under CPJ).