What I expect to see from the defense this weekend

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we zone dog alot. We may only bring 4 but try to confuse and look like bringing 5-6. Reason is we cant afford to much 0 or man free vs clemson with the secondarys backs turned to watson to cover the Wr. This means i expect to see more 2 deep man under or cover 3 with pressure packages under that allow us to zone the backend but make the qb get the ball out.

Yes of course we will still blitz and play some man. But i am certain we want watson in the pocket passing not scrambling so we will stunt and zone pressure him.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Agree with 3-3-5 they got in the qb face in nc state game. I think Step and Austin will get tested. I think CU will make a point to stay away from DJ and go after the Fr since they have not really been tested this season. With that said I think Step and Austin will hold their own. They will get beat some but I think they will make couple of plays.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we zone dog alot. We may only bring 4 but try to confuse and look like bringing 5-6. Reason is we cant afford to much 0 or man free vs clemson with the secondarys backs turned to watson to cover the Wr. This means i expect to see more 2 deep man under or cover 3 with pressure packages under that allow us to zone the backend but make the qb get the ball out.

Yes of course we will still blitz and play some man. But i am certain we want watson in the pocket passing not scrambling so we will stunt and zone pressure him.

agreed.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I want the secondary to keep playing like they were last week. They were awesome. And find a way to get some pressure on Watson, even just to hurry him up. The worst thing is to see a QB see back an pick us apart.

The D is going to have to get some stops for us to win this game. I think we will score, but not every possession like we have been. Their line is going to be a challenge for our offense.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think they come out fired up being it's the last home game of the season. They know what's on the line. I will be highly diss appointed if we come out flat.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think they come out fired up being it's the last home game of the season. They know what's on the line. I will be highly diss appointed if we come out flat.
This would shock me. Tech is peaking right now in terms of focus and energy. If CPJ can control the game I think we win. If Clemson turns out to be way too athletic for us I will not hang my head because I believe our guys are going to give it their best shot.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense has been really pretty good for the past couple of weeks. Obviously, Green has been a big part of that, but so has our change in scheme etc. If their OL is as patch work as reported, I think we should be able to do pretty well against them.

The Defense has to play like the win depends on them this weekend.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense has been really pretty good for the past couple of weeks. Obviously, Green has been a big part of that, but so has our change in scheme etc. If their OL is as patch work as reported, I think we should be able to do pretty well against them.

The Defense has to play like the win depends on them this weekend.
I think on a radio show CPJ said he thought Roof had not even gone home at that point (a Monday evening) after a bad defensive performance on Saturday, maybe it was after the loss to UNC then? So the idea was that Roof spent the entirety of Sunday night and through Monday in the office and film room and trying to work out ways to get improvement on D.

I saw it last year, in second halves early this year, and seeing it again the last few games that it does seem like Roof and the present d coaches are better capable of making adjustments and showing improvements in performance of the players they have than previous ones under CPJ.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think on a radio show CPJ said he thought Roof had not even gone home at that point (a Monday evening) after a bad defensive performance on Saturday, maybe it was after the loss to UNC then? So the idea was that Roof spent the entirety of Sunday night and through Monday in the office and film room and trying to work out ways to get improvement on D.

I saw it last year, in second halves early this year, and seeing it again the last few games that it does seem like Roof and the present d coaches are better capable of making adjustments and showing improvements in performance of the players they have than previous ones under CPJ.

I still think our D signals had been been ripped. The reason why UNC's QB sat back, relaxed and threw passes like he knew where the gaps in coverage were going to be and that the blitzes would be picked up was because he did.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm just glad we are willing to try new things and make adjustment to improve.
DO what works 4-2-5, 4-3, 3-4, 3-3-5

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
From everything I've been reading, Clemson's offensive line has been their weakest link, so I fully expect Ted Roof to attack it with a variety of stunts and blitz packages from all angles to stop both the run, and pass game. When doing so, this means our edge players MUST contain and protect their side rather than getting caught inside or we could have problems.

Also, with the various blitz packages, I expect them to be coming not only from linebackers, but safeties and corners as well, and maybe even all at the same time. Regardless, I expect a lot of pressure from Watson's blind side so they can attempt to strip him with his bad hand.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well if we could get away with a 4 - 4 -4 or 4 - 4 - 5 it'd like our odds better :confused:

;)

Just hope the DB's keep pressure on their receivers and that the D wraps up an tackles.