What happened . . .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gawd UVA's punter was wretched. Here are some things I thought about Tech, UVA, and respective coaches.
Mike London sucks. Tenuta is a very good DC. Roof is a very good DC. CPJ is an elite play caller and game manager.
Can't say I saw much to change my perspectives.

rodney

Georgia Tech Fan
What does everyone think our chances are against the dwags this year? They look terrible one game but always seem to put it together against us

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The grass is always greener somewhere else. Thus the get CJT bandwagon riders. Coach Wommack's D at Ole Miss doesn't like dumb when he has the Jimmies and Joes to plug in...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought they looked like a Tenuta D: they took chances and it sometimes paid off (5 TFLs, far more then anyone else has had on us) and sometimes it didn't (Days's long runs, the numerous one-on-ones for our WRs). Overall, you'd have to give them a B-. Wasn't their Ds fault that their WRs couldn't execute.

But I also agree that we were getting spoiled around here. My son looked over at me half way through the 3rd quarter and said,"Dad, if we don't start moving soon we'll never get to 500 yards (!) total offense!" I allowed as how most nobody does that regular and that we had been stopping them. He was not convinced and felt we needed to pick it up. I can remember when 409 yards total O and 35 points would have been considered a season high day around here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I thought they looked like a Tenuta D: they took chances and it sometimes paid off (5 TFLs, far more then anyone else has had on us) and sometimes it didn't (Days's long runs, the numerous one-on-ones for our WRs). Overall, you'd have to give them a B-. Wasn't their Ds fault that their WRs couldn't execute.

But I also agree that we were getting spoiled around here. My son looked over at me half way through the 3rd quarter and said,"Dad, if we don't start moving soon we'll never get to 500 yards (!) total offense!" I allowed as how most nobody does that regular and that we had been stopping them. He was not convinced and felt we needed to pick it up. I can remember when 409 yards total O and 35 points would have been considered a season high day around here.

Our yds/game stat also becomes more impressive when you consider our number of drives. We are #26 in total offense with 473.8 ypg; however, if we divide that by our number of drives (calculated), we are #3 at 46.86 yds/drive. Oregon is #1 at 48.04 yds/drive.

We are also #3 in pts/drive at 3.54 ppd, and Oregon is #2 at 3.96 ppd.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Second half offense for Tech slowed down some because, in my opinion, CPJ looked like he wanted to start using up some clock. It did not work out quite that way because UVA was not going to let Tech totally have its way with them but I think CPJ was hoping to start having some death marches. The offense became a little less creative it seemed and looked like CPJ wanted to run the ball as much as possible.
After the int maybe CPJ was a little gun shy putting it up.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Second half offense for Tech slowed down some because, in my opinion, CPJ looked like he wanted to start using up some clock. It did not work out quite that way because UVA was not going to let Tech totally have its way with them but I think CPJ was hoping to start having some death marches. The offense became a little less creative it seemed and looked like CPJ wanted to run the ball as much as possible.
This was my thought as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I thought it was great game from both sides. Tenuta has given the next 3 opponents another way to defend us with his okie/3-4/"50" front. We have seen this look just not this year. Also, I enjoyed some of the wrinkles CPJ pulled out such as the Power Dive (not sure of the exact name) to counter the 3-4 and that Flat pass to Synjyn.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In the years that CPJ has been at Tech I have rarely, and I mean rarely, seen an opposing defensive scheme get the best of Tech's offense. I remember LSU and I remember Iowa and in both cases they just had such bloody better athletes on the line it negated any blocking scheme Tech threw at them. Other times when Tech has been ineffective it has mostly been a problem with the offense being off its game. Bud Foster used to get credit for defeating Tech's offense when Tech's offense was defeating itself. Even this year it is entirely possible to see Tech's offense have a bad day. I don't expect to see it (the closest to this was against Duke) but from previous years I know that the timing can get off with this offense, focus can be lost, and suddenly the offense begins to stop itself. I am surprised when other people can't see this when they are watching the same game I am. Sometimes the offense fails because players are missing their assignments, unfocused and just not getting the job done, and it has very little to do with the defense. One more point about this. In my opinion we played one of the best Miami teams we have faced in several years but for once we stayed focused on offense through the entire game and did not just hand the game to them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said in his last coach's show that when he game plans, he predicts what is the worst thing a DC can possibly throw at him and plans accordingly. If they get something less, all the better. I wonder how much of what Tenuta threw at us was totally expected by CPJ and if he had his counters in his back pocket ready to pull out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said in his last coach's show that when he game plans, he predicts what is the worst thing a DC can possibly throw at him and plans accordingly. If they get something less, all the better. I wonder how much of what Tenuta threw at us was totally expected by CPJ and if he had his counters in his back pocket ready to pull out.
Betcha!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The UVa punt in the 1st qtr @ 8 minutes went 51 yards with roll. http://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-special-teams-vs-uva.4564/#post-95375 The wind was a big factor.

The roll will kill you, ask the Beamer Boners (sic Ball) at VT.

I would like to see two returners. You can kick away from one too often , and like you said the roll kills. With so much ground to cover, considering width of field, length of punts, and the wind effect, I hate to see the running/reaching fair catches we saw this past game. It also gives us a blocker to slow down one of the gunners.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta had the best defensive gameplan against gt schematicly this year. He changed fronts. Ran a 50 front. Ran base. Attacked gaps. Then didnt. He tried to continually give our offense multiple looks and fronts in a effort to make them miss their keys and execute poorly.

If he did this to the gt O last year with his current players that O really struggles. Unfortunately for tenuta pauls team this year knows what they are doing.

If you notice tenuta really startec changing fronts after that first quarter. They shut gt down. Like 40 yards. It actually made the offense uncomfortable. But at halftime i can tell you paul went back over what to do with those fronts and reminded them of how we attack it so second half we managed it better.

In general scheme wise it was the best a dc has done vs gt this year. Imo its not close. Uva had a horrible offense and we killed them as a team

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
VPI had a better game in my opinion. One 4th and 15 away from holding us to 13 offensive points. Foster does best at anticipating PJ's counters.

Granted the VPI game was very early on in JT5's reign at QB, and pre-Devine getting a lot of snaps.

I agree Tenuta adjusted, and did well doing it, but by the time they came we had scored 21 points. Those points still count for something.

We force Tenuta out of his element more than any team IMO, mainly because we are under-center and our plays develop a step ahead of his. It's a lot like CPJ while Vad was here. Tenuta's still good, but he's fighting with one-hand behind his back against us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ thinks several moves ahead of most coaches. He is not just watching the immediate adjustments he is calculating things he wants to set up later in the game. And he is a master of making the game clock work to his advantage.