What happened . . .

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ said in his last coach's show that when he game plans, he predicts what is the worst thing a DC can possibly throw at him and plans accordingly. If they get something less, all the better. I wonder how much of what Tenuta threw at us was totally expected by CPJ and if he had his counters in his back pocket ready to pull out.

Although we will never get an answer, I would love to know this too. I got the feeling the blown up/negative yardage plays we saw after the first series was due to Virginia doing some things we had not seen before and "guessing right" where the ball was going. We made some adjustments but it took a little time to do so. Fortunately the D held them off in the interim so we were able to stay on top.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
VPI had a better game in my opinion. One 4th and 15 away from holding us to 13 offensive points. Foster does best at anticipating PJ's counters.

Granted the VPI game was very early on in JT5's reign at QB, and pre-Devine getting a lot of snaps.

I agree Tenuta adjusted, and did well doing it, but by the time they came we had scored 21 points. Those points still count for something.

We force Tenuta out of his element more than any team IMO, mainly because we are under-center and our plays develop a step ahead of his. It's a lot like CPJ while Vad was here. Tenuta's still good, but he's fighting with one-hand behind his back against us.

we didn't execute at VT like we are now. We missed wide open WR at VT. etc VT defense gameplan was vanilla. Bud lined up like everyone else we faced with an occasional 50tech. Nothing great. He rarely changed fronts. Miami did the same D. So did Duke.

I don't base my evaluation on D or O purely on results. That isn't how you evaluate the quality of a gameplan. You still have players not executing vs executing, turnovers field position etc that can make results good or bad but that doesn't mean the scheme wasn't awesome

Our O is humming now. If we go back and play VT like we are playing now we drop 48 on em.

IMO go back watch all the games in spots what JT called was the most variant and solid. If UVA had an O worth a spit that would have been a really good game.

Declinometer

Banned
Re watching the game. There were two big plays that went our way at key points during the game. 1) holding call on Smelter when he broke off the route and JT threw the ball 20 yards over him. Key first down. 2) good spot on a fourth and 1 down near UVA's 10 yard line. Both would have ended key drives IMO.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i believe that Bud spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about how to stop GT. He tries to scheme/plan ahead of Paul's next adjustment. I wonder if Paul, knowing this ever makes a completely illogical counter to what Bud's doing to try to get ahead of his next move?