What happened . . .

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the Tenuta fan club here all said, to a man, that he doesn't match up well with spread offenses (not that anyone does.)

That said, it was our lowest rushing output of the season and 2 of our scoring drives started on or inside their 40.

I think we can respect a man while still wanting to beat him. But probably not. GT boards are often worse after a win than a loss because the same posters, cross boards, are the worst winners.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I thought the Tenuta defense looked excellent, and thought CPJ also praised it in his post-game press conference (without mentioning Tenuta, of course). I thought had we not jumped out in front, that game could have been far too exciting, as their defense caught up to the speed with which we run the option after our first two TD's. and the rest of the way was a slug-fest for us.

Doesn't shut me up at all. I think we have a pretty impressive O, and when you hold us to 409 total yards and 35 points that is a defense I respect.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I believe the Tenuta fan club here all said, to a man, that he doesn't match up well with spread offenses (not that anyone does.)

That said, it was our lowest rushing output of the season and 2 of our scoring drives started on or inside their 40.

I think we can respect a man while still wanting to beat him. But probably not. GT boards are often worse after a win than a loss because the same posters, cross boards, are the worst winners.
We had lower rushing outputs against Wofford and Virginia Tech this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta has a gambling defense and gambling defenses pay off on occasion and get burned on occasion. That is what I saw play out on the field. If you send extra guys and they don't make the play, there's less guys at the second level. Remember Synjyn's huge dive run off the left side in the second half? Once he got through the trash, there was nobody home. If he had Laskey's speed he would have scored.

In the end, he got burned more than he got paid.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He loaded the box and dared us to pass after the 1st 2 TDs.

Virginia's defensive players were huge. I wonder what their total D weight versus our total D weight totals.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta has a gambling defense and gambling defenses pay off on occasion and get burned on occasion. That is what I saw play out on the field. If you send extra guys and they don't make the play, there's less guys at the second level. Remember Synjyn's huge dive run off the left side in the second half? Once he got through the trash, there was nobody home. If he had Laskey's speed he would have scored.

In the end, he got burned more than he got paid.
Might have been posted, just getting on Swarm, but did Synjyn take the ball on that long run when JT was trying to pull it?

slugboy

Staff member
Actually, I think we scored a lot less than we should have--Roof's defense kept forcing 3-and-outs and putting Tenuta's defense back on the field quickly. We scored the first three, but then we turned in over on downs, got picked, and otherwise did nothing. In the second half, we got a touchdown, punted, fumbled, and scored.

Looking at the ESPN drive chart and Box Score, Tech's defense absolutely rocked the game. I'd say Tenuta did OK given the steaming pile that his offense handed him yesterday, and held us to 200 fewer yards than UNC and Pitt. They did better than Duke, and almost as well as Miami.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Field position plays a huge role in games, not enough attention is payed to it. It is well documented how our O helps our D. Yesterday we saw how a good D can help an O starting with short fields and ending with a tired opposing defense having to go back out on the field with little rest.

Special teams did their part, too, with excellent kickoffs, kick coverage, punting and punt coverage. Not too special in kick returns, need to work on that some more.

slugboy

Staff member
In the second half, it looks like we scored, punted, punted, scored, and ran out the clock. ESPN had a mistake in their drive chart.

rodney

Georgia Tech Fan
I can remember Clemson rushing like that against GT when tenuda was here one year it does seem that is tenudas akiles heel when a really good rushing team goes against his defence. I still think his defence is really good for the most part but really glad for the win yesterday Go GT#togetherweswarm

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
. . . to that legendary Tenuta defense today. Looked like Paul Johnson schooled the great one. Now all of you John Tenuta fan club members can STHU.

Go Jackets!
Well that certainly escalated quickly. But you might, in the future, be mindful that his first name is "Jon" not "John" and no I will not expletive deleted when expressing my opinions on this board. Also, you probably observed that Tenuta made adjustments to stop the option on the edge, at which point Johnson went to the dive and counter successfully. Quite the chess match would't you say?

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This is not meant to overshadow our own defensive efforts. Great job by coaches Roof, Pelton, Speed etc in getting out guys ready to play. We stopped their power running game and put pressure on that statue they have as a quarterback. Also, I think that this is our best offensive line. They are bigger, faster, and more athletic than our previous editions and seem to be able to pass block much better. Thanks, coach Sewark.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Field position plays a huge role in games, not enough attention is payed to it. It is well documented how our O helps our D. Yesterday we saw how a good D can help an O starting with short fields and ending with a tired opposing defense having to go back out on the field with little rest.

Special teams did their part, too, with excellent kickoffs, kick coverage, punting and punt coverage. Not too special in kick returns, need to work on that some more.
UVAs kickers were horrible. I didnt see 1 punt go farther than 40 yards... if that. Not alot of room for returns there. But on kickoffs... I agree... we didnt stand out much yesterday.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Second half offense for Tech slowed down some because, in my opinion, CPJ looked like he wanted to start using up some clock. It did not work out quite that way because UVA was not going to let Tech totally have its way with them but I think CPJ was hoping to start having some death marches. The offense became a little less creative it seemed and looked like CPJ wanted to run the ball as much as possible.