What does a bowl win mean?

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to hear from everyone what you think the significance of winning the bowl game would be for momentum, recruiting, etc going into next year.

On one hand, we already beat VT and Uga this year, and most would say those wins mean a whole lot more...

But I would argue that beating Kentucky would be quite significant. 9-4 and 8-5 are very different both in the long term of GT history and the outward perception of the program. We would also have gone 3-0 against the SEC this year with a win and continue the positive perception of the program after last year being so difficult.

As a fan, what does a win this Saturday mean to you and what do you think it means for the program?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it means anything in terms of momentum. I think any game you win with a young team is great for building mental toughness and getting experience.

Anytime you beat the SEC it is good for the ACC narrative.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
It's icing on the cake to send the Seniors out on another winning note on top of beating the Mutts in Athens!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Winning any game has a lot of meaning. However, finishing a season winning 6 of 7 has to feel good heading into the off season. There would be some good momentum, but yet still some hunger to improve because the early losses still linger. Beating UK won't be like winning the Orange Bowl, so I don't think the guys will get all full of themselves. I expect a really good off season regardless of the outcome.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't really mean anything in terms of performance for next year, but it would keep the CPJ haters quiet for a few more weeks.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Ending up having a 9-win season; finishing up the year winning 6 of their final 7; beating VA Tech and UGA; and going 3-0 versus the "mighty" SEC (which is as many, or more, SEC wins than several SEC Teams), would be an increadible way to end 2016, especially for a Team that had such a disappointing 2015 (due to so many injuries), not to mention the fact they lost their Athletic Director in mid-Season, had key early suspensions, and late transfers, during this season, which could have caused more turmoil.

Since 1970, there have only been five seasons (1970, 1985, 1990, 1998, and 2014) that we've won nine games, beat UGA, and won a Bowl game, so personally I believe a win over Kentucky would be fantastic for the program.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
We haven't had a great bowl record lately, so a win would be nice in that regard. But it'll be especially nice given that it's 6 wins out of the last 7. To finish 9-4 with that end of year run might give GT a little bit more momentum heading into next season. It was so irritating listening to media before the season began and hear all about how uga "doesn't have 2 losses on their schedule" and GT is "set on a 6-6 season, 7-5 if they're lucky." Confidence is worth a lot. The 2014 team was so good because the KNEW they were going to win every game. Alabama is good every year because they KNOW they are going to win every game. I know that we like to pride ourselves on an underdog mentality, but we need to go into the Tennessee game next season with confidence. A bowl win might help with that.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ending up having a 9-win season; finishing up the year winning 6 of their final 7; beating VA Tech and UGA; and going 3-0 versus the "mighty" SEC (which is as many, or more, SEC wins than several SEC Teams), would be an increadible way to end 2016, especially for a Team that had such a disappointing 2015 (due to so many injuries), not to mention the fact they lost their Athletic Director in mid-Season, had key early suspensions, and late transfers, during this season, which could have caused more turmoil.

Since 1970, there have only been five seasons (1970, 1985, 1990, 1998, and 2014) that we've won nine games, beat UGA, and won a Bowl game, so personally I believe a win over Kentucky would be fantastic for the program.

And that would mean CPJ would have 3 of those 6 seasons with 9 wins in the last 46 years. Not bad for a high school offense. :cool:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In terms of perception, a bowl win could help:
- sneak us into the top 25 on final rankings
- dispel the extra time to prepare = option shutdown narrative
- fully erase our memory of 2015
- open a few more doors in recruiting 2018 and later classes, but just a few doors

I think a bowl loss, though, could resurrect a lot of mixed feelings about our staff and make for an uncomfortable off-season.

As far as next year's team, I'm not sure it means anything. Actually, a W might make them overconfident going into conditioning for next year. A lot of the turnaround has been from a different off-season attitude. We have a chance to get to 2014-status next year if the same kind of effort takes place (e.g. getting Devine & Adams in better shape, more development on both lines especially, and fierce improvement/competition from a group of QBs with youth and great potential).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A big win with strong offense and pretty good defense would be great for the program.
Barely beating uk would be better than loosing a close game , but not much. Both would still have label of middle of pack. The winner would be the upper middle of pack and loset is lower middle of pack.

I MO
If a gt ol w 2 true freshman and a soph can look very good it would give lots of indications that last years dumpster fire has been fixed and it was due to injuries and too much youth at skill positions.
Our ol has too much talent (size =sham and Freddie and Will; speed= parker, marshall, etc). With really talanted senior qb and center, a really talented bb, and reliable abs and wr , coach can call plays that make the dc go crazy.

Once they are behind I think roof's defense will make it tough - several pics.

I think we are going to win big without our leading rusher. We will get hype about Swilling and Roof kids coming.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
And that would mean CPJ would have 3 of those 6 seasons with 9 wins in the last 46 years. Not bad for a high school offense. :cool:

He has also beaten UGA, Clemson, FSU, VA Tech, and Mississippi State at least TWICE EACH since he became our Head Football Coach. I imagine every other program/Head Football Coach in the Country would be thrilled to be able to make that claim.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't get idea we have to win big. A win by any measure means a lot to the program. Winning big over Kentucky won't make us elite. Winning 10+ or conf champ does that.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think a win is crucial and it does lead to big momentum in the off-season. We'll get some preseason hype next year and there will be more of a buzz around recruiting, the spring game, Tennessee game, etc.

I'm absolutely thrilled with a 9 win season this year. The Clemson game was completely embarrassing because it showed just how out-manned we actually are compared to the elite teams, but we came on late in the year and I dig that.