What do we know so far?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
That is who we are, and it probably will NOT change. Engineers tend to be this way, no matter what the minority group (few optimists) will say.

Maybe some of the frustration is more natural for people who are problem solvers like Tech grads who analyze the situation and want solutions to be implemented. I am not an engineer (math major), nor did I attend Tech, but I am Tech fan from childhood. It has been fascinating to be read this forum as someone somewhat outside the norm.

The first Tech forum I found was probably 90% negative so I quit it. This one is much much better with numerous informative posts and provocative theories on how to solve team problems. Imho, there is the sense in some posts that a football team is a machine that if engineered properly, will work fairly consistently and predictably over a given period of time. While I share the desire for consistent excellence, I doubt that human teams can be so tightly engineered for consistency and predictability ( I certainly can't achieve it with the human teams I am a part of.). Despite that tendency, it is rare to have an uniformed criticism on this forum and I think the thoughtful criticism often expressed is a good thing. Now if the next post is simply, "Paul Johnson is an idiot with the I.Q. of a beagle" maybe I will change my mind :)

Maybe some of the frustration is more natural for people who are problem solvers like Tech grads who analyze the situation and want solutions to be implemented. I am not an engineer (math major), nor did I attend Tech, but I am Tech fan from childhood. It has been fascinating to be read this forum as someone somewhat outside the norm.

The first Tech forum I found was probably 90% negative so I quit it. This one is much much better with numerous informative posts and provocative theories on how to solve team problems. Imho, there is the sense in some posts that a football team is a machine that if engineered properly, will work fairly consistently and predictably over a given period of time. While I share the desire for consistent excellence, I doubt that human teams can be so tightly engineered for consistency and predictability ( I certainly can't achieve it with the human teams I am a part of.). Despite that tendency, it is rare to have an uniformed criticism on this forum and I think the thoughtful criticism often expressed is a good thing. Now if the next post is simply, "Paul Johnson is an idiot with the I.Q. of a beagle" maybe I will change my mind :)

How's that string theory coming, Dr. Cooper? :)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Ok guys, I know this is not news, but we really need a new LT. BC just isn't quick enough off the ball to get his head and shoulders in front of his assignment. I decided to focus on him on the big 3rd qtr drive that put us up by 2 scores. We score in spite of BC whiffing on nearly every play on that drive. He's just too slow off the ball. Maybe he was gassed by then, I dunno. Luckily we run to the right a lot, but the backside help is gonna kill us against better/faster defenses.

wow, Cheese--that's the first time I've seen you come down so negatively.This dude really must be not getting it done.I know he did last yr but haven't watched him much this yr.I did see Joe in there ---on a couple of plays--one in which he got downfield nicely for block and other,I think ,was the "almost" sack/incompletion by JT in which the backside guy tackled JT, Joe's man I believe.So we have a mixed bag if C'blain has to go.
I do know after watching vt destroy O St with their blitzes,we had better get our OL ready because THEY ARE COMING.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
wow, Cheese--that's the first time I've seen you come down so negatively.This dude really must be not getting it done.I know he did last yr but haven't watched him much this yr.I did see Joe in there ---on a couple of plays--one in which he got downfield nicely for block and other,I think ,was the "almost" sack/incompletion by JT in which the backside guy tackled JT, Joe's man I believe.So we have a mixed bag if C'blain has to go.
I do know after watching vt destroy O St with their blitzes,we had better get our OL ready because THEY ARE COMING.
He's just not getting it done. It's not from lack of effort, imo, just not athletic enough and it's bad when it shows vs Tulane. Can you imagine vs VT and the rest of the schedule? I just hope the staff is getting Klock up to speed in a hurry. The problem with him is the opposite, he's plenty athletic, he just doesn't know where to go. That could be just as bad or worse. At least BC hasn't been false starting, that's a plus.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say that getting Harrell back onto the field is a good thing, imho. It was nice to see him at the LB position, and he made some plays for us.

I spoke with Harrell's father after the game. He said his son is at 'about 85%' back fom the ACL injury (psychologically) so we haven't seen all he has to give, yet. I think Harrell-Nealy-Marcordes would be a solid LB lineup.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
BC is now the LT so we can protect JT on the rollout pass. Mason is senior. BC, EJ, TOR are juniors.
Virginia tech and other important acc games are around the corner.
Rest of o line are underclass men who probably aren't ready for prime time.
Will be interesting if BC can put in a higher gear against defense well schooled in our offense.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
True freshman from a recruiting class ranked in 50s are already on field and making plays!
We are doing well on injury front - good conditioning or luck, but good news!
Coaches has gradually given JT more complicated calls or reads - first game as I remember coach said no TO reads and few few double options.
Blocking by AB and WR is very promising for year ( I am critical of having so many 5 year AB but they sure are blocking so may have some crow stew cooking).
We are winning pulling away at end!
Coach is really mixing up the play calling - not just the blocking schemes
For Tulane their qb and receivers played poorly - so we did not learn much.

IMO We still may think we can win with soft system approach _ will be tough to begin being aggressive in mid season.

IMO - we have a lot of unseen upside in the offense.

Also IMO for GSU Best outcome is playing as many as players as possible and still winning at end after we have to put 8 men on line and blitz a lot.

Very good first two games !

A true FR DB with an interception and FR DE that chased the QB across the field, ran him down from behind, and got the sack. I am excited about what the younger guys are bringing so far!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A true FR DB with an interception and FR DE that chased the QB across the field, ran him down from behind, and got the sack. I am excited about what the younger guys are bringing so far!
If you like this freshman class , you will love next years class. Hope we have good year so we sign all the commits.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I know (I'm lying): we have a secret plan for vpi. The starting Left Guard and Left Tackle vs VPI will be O'Reilly and Devine. We're going to go June Jones on ole Bud until he cries.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That we have the most negative fanbase in America to be 2-0.

All I know is that the Head Coach was pretty unhappy Saturday with our performance. I feel about the same way CPJ does. Does that mean we're both negative?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
FIFY - there is no pre-ordained group think. You can make your own choices but don't project that on the rest of us.

I am an engineer, and have worked with engineers my whole career (30 years) at 4 different companies. This is my experiential opinion. I, in no way, want to create more of us OR assume it is ALL engineers. It is MOST I have known, including me.

thwgjacket

@biggtfan

I love that LB group...but Davis is too productive to not be on the field.
This. PJ Davis is a stud. That he didn't have more offers is a shock. Dude is a straight up missile and punishes RB's. I heard a funny story about him. Was told when we called to offer right before signing day he didn't believe it was actually CPJ on the line. He thought someone was pranking him and apparently so did his dad at first. Has to endear the kid to you.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Here's what I know (I'm lying): we have a secret plan for vpi. The starting Left Guard and Left Tackle vs VPI will be O'Reilly and Devine. We're going to go June Jones on ole Bud until he cries.

Now that JJ is no longer with SMU... We could do... At least in theory :)