What do I do with my Russell GT stuff now?

What do I do with my Russell stuff now that Adidas GT gear is available?

• Honorable retirement at the back of the closet

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Wear it, but not to games

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • GT stuff is GT stuff - wear it loud, wear it proud

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Take it to Goodwill; good riddance

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • S##tcan it. Russell sucks. Always has, always will

Votes: 16 13.6%

• Total voters

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Now you have lost me. My point earlier was if you are a fan and bought Russell gear it must have been good enough to spend money on it so why not keep wearing it post Russel.

Then you “?” A reply. And I clarified that only the players had no say so in the gear they wore on field.

Hope this clarifies.

My point is that the only Tech gear fans could buy on a large scale was Russell for the past decade. It was either buy Russell or don't wear Tech gear. Personally only bought Russell clothing out of necessity.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My point is that the only Tech gear fans could buy on a large scale was Russell for the past decade. It was either buy Russell or don't wear Tech gear. Personally only bought Russell clothing out of necessity.

Ahh. I see your point now. I never found that to be the case for myself.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, and many others have had licenses to produce fan gear for many years. There is a list, 56 pages long, of licensees to produce fan gear. Some of them are clothing manufacturers, and some are custom companies or retailers such as Fanatics that can use clothing from any manufacturer to make GT gear.

http://www.licensing.gatech.edu/vendors/resale

Check out the Fanatics GT page: https://www.fanatics.com/college/ga-tech-yellow-jackets/o-16+t-78275407+z-987807-2543771267

They have gear from: Adidas, Champion, Colosseum, Columbia, New Era, Nike, Russell, and Under Armour.

The uniform contract only applies to uniforms for the players and coaches. Anyone who wants to can get a license from IMG College Licensing to produce fan gear. Russell has not had an exclusive on fan gear. In fact, the majority of gear in the GT Bookstore is not and has not been Russell.

RWGT87

Georgia Tech Fan
Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, and many others have had licenses to produce fan gear for many years. There is a list, 56 pages long, of licensees to produce fan gear. Some of them are clothing manufacturers, and some are custom companies or retailers such as Fanatics that can use clothing from any manufacturer to make GT gear.

http://www.licensing.gatech.edu/vendors/resale

Check out the Fanatics GT page: https://www.fanatics.com/college/ga-tech-yellow-jackets/o-16+t-78275407+z-987807-2543771267

They have gear from: Adidas, Champion, Colosseum, Columbia, New Era, Nike, Russell, and Under Armour.

The uniform contract only applies to uniforms for the players and coaches. Anyone who wants to can get a license from IMG College Licensing to produce fan gear. Russell has not had an exclusive on fan gear. In fact, the majority of gear in the GT Bookstore is not and has not been Russell.

So when do the other companies have to start using the new gold?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So when do the other companies have to start using the new gold?

That I don't know. I have never worked for an apparel company or fan store/site or other such provider and have never gone through the process. I assume you have to renew the license, and would have to start at least then with the new branding requirements. The licensing website has Tech Gold as the color, but the visual requirements don't have the new wordmark or the narrowed interlocking GT requirements: http://www.licensing.gatech.edu/visual/guidelines

I assume there is a process to get the guidelines of the licensing authority updated and to require licensees to adhere to the updates. However, I don't know what those requirements are. Would be a good question for the next ToddCast.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Excellent information, thanks for posting!

Based on this information, then, it would seem that GT’s current licensing guidelines would need to be updated to require all vendors to use the new word mark and correct shade of gold in their clothing lines. This could then result in all future GT clothing lines adhering to the correct shade of gold in the future, regardless of which company or entity that makes them.

At least that’s what I assume. I’m not sure if it (the correct new word mark and correct shade of gold for all future GT clothing across the board, regardless of manufacturer) would indeed happen.

And I have a few jerseys......from all the way back in 1985....
jerseys.jpg

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I have one navy blue windshirt that is Russell. Everything else is Champion, UA, and others. I bought a lot from Tailgater’s Alley. All the wrong shade of gold, of course.