What do all these analysts do?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Actually CPJ has his moments of less predictability. Many times on 3rd and long I have seen him run a B trap instead of throwing it. Also since for them most part he stays in his base formation it makes it harder to predict as well as his personnel does not change.

One thing PJ does like to do is if a play breaks big (but not for a TD) to one side, he often calls the same play to the other side on the next snap.
I wonder how often he keeps calling a play because it worked in practice against a certain look, even if it's not getting anything during the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All this talk about "execution" reminds me of a famous quote. ( It has been attributed to several coaches.- John McKay, Casey Stengel , etc)
At the postgame press conference after a particularly ugly loss , the coach was asked what he thought of the "execution" of his team.
The coach quickly replied " I am in favor of it ". A little Saturday morning humor.........
I believe it originated with John McKay, but he was coaching Tampa Bay at the time. A really bad team I think.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how often he keeps calling a play because it worked in practice against a certain look, even if it's not getting anything during the game.

That makes it sound like CPJ is a recreation coach. With his experience and with coaches in the booth watching certain things and reporting to his headset I believe he knows more about what is working and not working in the actual game than any fan sitting in the stands. That would include former athletes, and former/current coaches at other schools. The coach on the other sideline would probably know as much as him because they have the same experience and coordination from coaches in the booth.

I seriously doubt that he calls plays ignoring the players on the other team, how those players have been playing, and how GT's players have been playing.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One thing PJ does like to do is if a play breaks big (but not for a TD) to one side, he often calls the same play to the other side on the next snap.
I'd buy that a coach might run a play during the game because it worked in practice against the same defensive scheme; it is why you practice after all, so that could work as long as he considers speed and quickness. I wouldn't think Johnson would assume a play run against his defense in practice is a gimme against say, Alabama, in a game. But to keep running a failed play? Nah. Not even a Georgia coach would do that. Would he?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Whatever our running playcall,the fact is with this option Offense,a LOT of success depends on the QB and how he reads the def.TOO many times Taq did not execute well.That's why the abacks got few carries and he had too many 3 ypc games with the Off flat (not to evenmention the passing).

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Whatever our running playcall,the fact is with this option Offense,a LOT of success depends on the QB and how he reads the def.TOO many times Taq did not execute well.That's why the abacks got few carries and he had too many 3 ypc games with the Off flat (not to evenmention the passing).

True until this part. Everybody forced us into QB/Bback game. The pitch was taking away for majority of our games and when the opportunity was there TW usually missed the read

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that the main reason our O has been so successful is that Coach doesn't plan games. I repeat: he doesn't plan games. I might also add that nobody in his coaching tree does either. What they all do is stress execution of a few "plays" and the different blocking schemes that will be used to execute them under different opportunities offered by opposing Ds. NB: I put plays in parentheses. The reason for this is that it is the blocking schemes that matter not the very few plays we use each game. What we will run under certain circumstances is easy to predict. How the play will be blocked isn't. That's why the O is so dependent on experience and why we are so difficult to defend. No wonder we screw up on execution unless we have a veteran team (especially on the OL) and Coach is always grousing about it. Otherwise, when we have a team of vets and good skill people it is almost impossible to stop us reliably.

That's why I think we have a real good chance of having next year. Here's hoping.

None of this applies to D, of course, and that's where I think a lot of the analysis for next year will go.
Wait,"the reason our offense has been so successful"? johnson has about 5 plays he runs, none being a pass play. If the play doesn't work it's he players fault. I really don't know why some of you PJ backers ( the best we can get) can't get the fact that he is NOT!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait,"the reason our offense has been so successful"? johnson has about 5 plays he runs, none being a pass play. If the play doesn't work it's he players fault. I really don't know why some of you PJ backers ( the best we can get) can't get the fact that he is NOT!

Maybe because it isn't a fact but an opinion!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Wow did you graduate from tech? If you really believe that non of our plays are pass plays or that johnson always blames the players(newsflash he doesnt). I really question your ability to interpret evidence.

The truth of the matter is we have been fighting completly outgunned for cpjs entire time as a coach. While everyone we played has been stocking support staffs like they are an nfl team we have not.

Last year our offense definitly scored enough to win more games. TQ had some issues but the fact that cpj tailored the offense to him is counter to your arguement that he doesnt adapt.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All this talk about "execution" reminds me of a famous quote. ( It has been attributed to several coaches.- John McKay, Casey Stengel , etc)
At the postgame press conference after a particularly ugly loss , the coach was asked what he thought of the "execution" of his team.
The coach quickly replied " I am in favor of it ". A little Saturday morning humor.........
It was John McKay when he was coach of the Bucs.

My favorite from him was when a reporter asked him about his AA DE Tim Rossovich. Quoth McKay: "Ah, Timmy! A very intelligent boy. A very studious boy. But, above all, a very, very mean boy."