What do all these analysts do?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

This is basically illustrating why we are so far behind in staffing, especially in defense. Our offense does mitigate this need to some extent however but defensively we were always behind ( probably why we are going to woody, like our offense his defense is kind of a play fast and dictate the offense rathe rthan react to every formation they hit you with.)

Being someone in Technology, I would think that in this day and age there is too much reliance on coaches etc to prepare for the games. I have spent a lot of times watching Tech replays as well as UGA and Alabama. What I have noticed is that based on down and distance, formations, and personnel one can predict the play call to about a 75% ratio. My son finds it amazing that during games where I have watched teams with some regularity, I can predict the plays. So now comes the need for predictive computing. I would think a place like Tech could come up with the means to convert video and inputs into predictive analysis.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious about the delta between opponent preparation in the summer versus in-season. I'd assume the value of summer prep decreases for an opponent you play later in the season (since there would be more in-season film). From what LSU is doing, that's certainly the gap that gets addressed. I had always assumed that this was a role for grad assistants.

From what I've read and heard about GT and others, the analysts are more focused on recruiting -- talent identification, communicating with high school coaches, on-campus visits, etc.

Of course, it'd be ideal to have the resources to do both.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Being someone in Technology, I would think that in this day and age there is too much reliance on coaches etc to prepare for the games. I have spent a lot of times watching Tech replays as well as UGA and Alabama. What I have noticed is that based on down and distance, formations, and personnel one can predict the play call to about a 75% ratio. My son finds it amazing that during games where I have watched teams with some regularity, I can predict the plays. So now comes the need for predictive computing. I would think a place like Tech could come up with the means to convert video and inputs into predictive analysis.

Yes, I am a data analyst. I haven’t tried to calculate the probability of plays because I don’t understand the different blocking assignments that are called. Even if I did, CPJ makes it sound like most are missed anyway so it seems hard to track. However, I often wonder how predictable CPJ is since he doesn’t utilize a play sheet. Maybe “play sheet” is the wrong terminology but I’m referring to a tool that lists plays to run on third and short, for example. Sounds counterintuitive but I think he would challenge himself to be less predictable if he used a play sheet that mixed things up before game time - go deep on third and short, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Yes, I am a data analyst. I haven’t tried to calculate the probability of plays because I don’t understand the different blocking assignments that are called. Even if I did, CPJ makes it sound like most are missed anyway so it seems hard to track. However, I often wonder how predictable CPJ is since he doesn’t utilize a play sheet. Maybe “play sheet” is the wrong terminology but I’m referring to a tool that lists plays to run on third and short, for example. Sounds counterintuitive but I think he would challenge himself to be less predictable if he used a play sheet that mixed things up before game time - go deep on third and short, for example.

Only because he would be willing to go for it on 4th down. :)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

This giving with every game prep.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I believe there are consultants that "counter coach". They bring them in to track for tendencies.

Regarding what you say about CPJ's playcalling, its probably true for everyone offensive play on every team. Every play is designed to "work" but so many variable impact its success. From missed assignments, being less athletic, less physical, etc.

I do think, however, lots of play calling (or recommendation) could be done via computing. A buddy of mine and I were at a bar and baffled by the clock management. That seems like low hanging fruit that could be managed outside of a coach's decision.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Regarding what you say about CPJ's playcalling, its probably true for everyone offensive play on every team. Every play is designed to "work" but so many variable impact its success. From missed assignments, being less athletic, less physical, etc.

Yes, but I was saying that we should sometimes run, and maybe we do, low percentage success plays in a favorable down and distance and vice versa - BB dive on third and forever or a skinny post on fourth and long. This is probably an oversimplified example for my untrained eye but these are plays a computer would likely not pick. It just feels like I can guess our call too often. If I can, the other team definitely can.

Yes, but I was saying that we should sometimes run, and maybe we do, low percentage success plays in a favorable down and distance and vice versa - BB dive on third and forever or a skinny post on fourth and long. This is probably an oversimplified example for my untrained eye but these are plays a computer would likely not pick. It just feels like I can guess our call too often. If I can, the other team definitely can.

Actually CPJ has his moments of less predictability. Many times on 3rd and long I have seen him run a B trap instead of throwing it. Also since for them most part he stays in his base formation it makes it harder to predict as well as his personnel does not change. But take Georgia as an example. for the most part they run about 5 plays. Tailback handoff between the tackles, Toss play, Bubble screen, regular screen and down and out in the flat. When they put Swift in on plays it was the gimmick, that reverse. Base on their formation and personnel I could guess the play within a I would say a 75% probability. Yes, I do watch most of the Georgia games when they are not opposite Tech. Whether their is a play sheet or not plays are called by humans and we tend to go in trends.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Actually CPJ has his moments of less predictability. Many times on 3rd and long I have seen him run a B trap instead of throwing it. Also since for them most part he stays in his base formation it makes it harder to predict as well as his personnel does not change. But take Georgia as an example. for the most part they run about 5 plays. Tailback handoff between the tackles, Toss play, Bubble screen, regular screen and down and out in the flat. When they put Swift in on plays it was the gimmick, that reverse. Base on their formation and personnel I could guess the play within a I would say a 75% probability. Yes, I do watch most of the Georgia games when they are not opposite Tech. Whether their is a play sheet or not plays are called by humans and we tend to go in trends.

Speaking to that consistency. I believe it was UNC in 2015 that I accurately called every play of our first scoring drive. I didn't look at our offense once i did it based solely on the defensive personnel. CPJ does call based on what the defense give him and if they keep giving him things and we keep executing he won't vary. However he will start to change it up if we are missing assignments a lot, this is when he starts calling lower percentage shot plays.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m talking about data breakdown.

I wish had time to find an old scouting report, but it was broken down into formation percentages for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Each had top 5 formations and top plays out 1st and short, medium and long. Same for 2nd and 3rd down.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Jimmies and Joes > Xs and Os.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that the main reason our O has been so successful is that Coach doesn't plan games. I repeat: he doesn't plan games. I might also add that nobody in his coaching tree does either. What they all do is stress execution of a few "plays" and the different blocking schemes that will be used to execute them under different opportunities offered by opposing Ds. NB: I put plays in parentheses. The reason for this is that it is the blocking schemes that matter not the very few plays we use each game. What we will run under certain circumstances is easy to predict. How the play will be blocked isn't. That's why the O is so dependent on experience and why we are so difficult to defend. No wonder we screw up on execution unless we have a veteran team (especially on the OL) and Coach is always grousing about it. Otherwise, when we have a team of vets and good skill people it is almost impossible to stop us reliably.

That's why I think we have a real good chance of having next year. Here's hoping.

None of this applies to D, of course, and that's where I think a lot of the analysis for next year will go.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
All this talk about "execution" reminds me of a famous quote. ( It has been attributed to several coaches.- John McKay, Casey Stengel , etc)
At the postgame press conference after a particularly ugly loss , the coach was asked what he thought of the "execution" of his team.
The coach quickly replied " I am in favor of it ". A little Saturday morning humor.........

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I am old school. Having an entire separate coaching staff breaking down game film goes against the spirit of the game IMHO.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So on XM College, this is Coach Neuheisals saying. True to some extent but I do believe, as we can attest, the system can overcome the Jimmies and Joes. I think it is more about execution.

With all of these analysts that may become a thing of the past. Our opponents can have entire sections of their staff devoted to preparing for our offense.