What are we on offense?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Still a finesse team mostly. I think the confusion of the defense and not being able to attack means they play on their heels and go backwards easier when we do block them head up. Makes it look like we are physically dominating more than we probably are.

But, that said, we are a lot stronger and more physical than we used to be, imo. Our linemen did fewer belly flops in front of defenders last year so that's positive.

I think the S&C (Sisk has done a great job, imo) really shows up most in the second half of games and in the second half of the season. We also didn't have to contend with many injuries until the very end of the season.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I sat near some MSU fans at the OB. They were upset that their D couldn't stop a simple dive play in the second half. I told my wife that what they didn't know was that if they could stop it, the B Back wouldn't get the ball, then they would be asking why they couldn't stop the sweep play.

I think we are a first half finesse team as CPJ plays with the D to find out what they are doing, and a second half smash mouth team as CPJ hammers the weaknesses he found.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I tend to agree with the combo definition. We have to establish the point of the attack. If we don't we lose the ability to hit the finesse of the offense. Once that happens though - look out, we will bowl you over with a BBack Dive, then the next play let you push right through the line as the play develops opposite you with an ABack taking a rocket toss or pitch, then when you sit back and wait on the pitch kill you with a wheel route to the BBack you forgot about.

I think I like the judo idea. Kato - watch out while our Oline Judo Chops! :)

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not smash mouth in that we don't take our 5 OL and drive their defensive line 3 yards back one on one like the old Redskins Hogs. We are smash mouth in that they know what is coming but they can't do anything about it, but it's based on scheme rather than brute strength. The scheme creates a numbers advantage and blocking angles. We create numbers advantage by double teaming one guy and optioning the other. We create angles with AB coming down on the ML and pulling guards to kick out the ends or cracking back with the receivers. Mix in a little counter and we have a defense on their heels. I think our scheme creates an advantage and when our athletes are on par, we can dominate.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know that Boomer knows his stuff so I'll agree with his assessment on this. I think a huge part of our ability to get down hill and destroy idiots like MSU and UGA is the scheme. There's a reason that we can't do that to bud foster and VT, and they are usually a fairly small defense. It sure is fun to have an OL that can execute and hit guys in the mouth though.

We are still a smoke and mirrors team, built on execution and deception more than brute force. With that said, we are a lot more physical than we used to be. In other words, I wouldn't like our chances of having won 11 games doing deep hand offs with a zone blocking scheme. Even when it looked like we were pounding UGA and MSST, there was still a lot of scheme there that was thinning out the defense and confusing them.
Can you say "belly series"?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I sat near some MSU fans at the OB. They were upset that their D couldn't stop a simple dive play in the second half. I told my wife that what they didn't know was that if they could stop it, the B Back wouldn't get the ball, then they would be asking why they couldn't stop the sweep play. ...
I am always struck by the number of football "fans" -- of any team -- who just can't get the basic concept of "option". They really can't. I was glad to get Kirk Herbstreit and Jesse Palmer as analysts for FSU and MSU, respectively. Herbstreit, a fan of Johnson's offense, is the best of the best in in breaking down a play and explaining what just happened, and his chalk work illustrates it. Wish fans would pay more attention to the elegance of the offense, and maybe they would understand that the "simple" dive play ain't. And sometimes isn't even a dive.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let's face it, most teams aren't smash mouth. Most of the time most try to over power against smaller numbers. To do otherwise would probably decimate a teams O-line over the course of a season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Let's face it, most teams aren't smash mouth. Most of the time most try to over power against smaller numbers. To do otherwise would probably decimate a teams O-line over the course of a season.
It is still a game of angles and numbers, and old NB Forrest got it right with the first with the most observation.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed - Smashmouth is not JUST brute Strength. I think of Smashmouth as being 3rd/4th and less than a yard. Everyone knows it is coming up the middle. If you are clockwork for getting that yard, that is as smashmouth as you can get IMO