What’s the loudest you’ve heard the thrillerdome?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
They don't let people camp out anymore for games I think. Stadium policy but I wonder if students could overrule that with enough pushback. I'd do it as an alum if I can bring a grill and beer.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's where we play basketball games. You should get an areola view to understand it.
Good Game Handshake GIF by Gaming GIFs

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm think the games in '85 were the absolute loudest ever. We had a good '84 season & Cremins was working the fraternity houses hard. We started off beating a ranked NcSt team that had Spud, Lorenzo Charles (pizza robbery) and Washburn. Beat Maryland with Len Bias (an absolute monster) and Branch (Yo' Adrian wanna toke?) and of course Lefty with the empty gas tank gage skull caps, lost to Wake and then the Grant brothers mugged us at home. We then went on a tear beating the Hoos Polynice and She He, paid back the Grants, beat a loaded unc squad on road (Daughtery, Smith, Hale) and beat Maryland again. Then came dook with Dawkins, Amaker, Alarie and Jay "Big ***" Bilas. They were #4, the TiT was nuts.

In '86 every game was nuts. I don't think we lost at the TiT that year. So many great games. Best 2 year period in my mind we ever had.
That dukie game was the best ever

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Perfect storm for me. I was with Red, Shane and Dan. Playing Pitt, Michael Young’s last year. Down early, sizeable comeback, good times with good people

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe the February 1987 game against Maryland was the loudest. It was a Sunday afternoon game on national TV. Ferrell was guarding Len Bias through the first half and held him to 5 or so points but picked up 3 or 4 fouls (I can't remember if the 4th was late in the first half or early in the second). We were up by 20 or so in the first half and the place was the loudest I have ever heard.

Bias was ridiculous in the second half. They never took the lead but Bias launched a shot from the corner that rimmed out. We won by one.

I found a box score for that game in the past but can't find it now. I think that was the best half for an opposing player I have ever seen.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe the February 1987 game against Maryland was the loudest. It was a Sunday afternoon game on national TV. Ferrell was guarding Len Bias through the first half and held him to 5 or so points but picked up 3 or 4 fouls (I can't remember if the 4th was late in the first half or early in the second). We were up by 20 or so in the first half and the place was the loudest I have ever heard.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The night the "Thriller Dome" earned its moniker, is the game I think of when I think of the loudest game for men's basketball. Granted I was there sitting in the first row behind the press table.

After the game, the students warmed the court!

Jan. 23, 1984
Georgia Tech 72, Virginia 71 (3 OT)

"Bruce Dalrymple’s only field goal of the game gave Tech the lead for good. Tech radio play-by-play man Brad Nessler dubbed Alexander Memorial Coliseum the Thrillerdome that night. It stuck."