What’s the loudest you’ve heard the thrillerdome?

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
March 1, 1989. Dennis Scott's steal and 3-pointer to knock off UNC.

That whole game was nuts. Tom Hammonds's number was retired before the game. The game was extremely close throughout - neither team held a lead of more than 6 at any point. Karl Brown was fouled with 5 seconds left and made both free throws (miraculous in itself) to get us to within 1, but we still needed another miracle to win it - and we got it!

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

That whole game was nuts. Tom Hammonds's number was retired before the game. The game was extremely close throughout - neither team held a lead of more than 6 at any point. Karl Brown was fouled with 5 seconds left and made both free throws (miraculous in itself) to get us to within 1, but we still needed another miracle to win it - and we got it!
I’ve seen that and they almost called a tech due to fans on the court early.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if our students mistook it for an NCAA Tournament game or what but the Thrillerdome was chaos for the Belmont NIT game in 2017. I was living in DC at the time so I missed the early Pastner days when we were stuffing the place with white and gold but it always looked loud on TV (Syracuse airball game stands out). I remember jumping around my new studio in DC watching that game against UVA.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if our students mistook it for an NCAA Tournament game or what but the Thrillerdome was chaos for the Belmont NIT game in 2017. I was living in DC at the time so I missed the early Pastner days when we were stuffing the place with white and gold but it always looked loud on TV (Syracuse airball game stands out). I remember jumping around my new studio in DC watching that game against UVA.

Pastner was really at good at engaging the students. Donuts, t-shirts…I even remember a stretch where they did a tv giveaway, ps5 giveaway, etc…

It wasn’t artificial engagement like Collins.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Pastner was really at good at engaging the students. Donuts, t-shirts…I even remember a stretch where they did a tv giveaway, ps5 giveaway, etc…

I'm a huge proponent of raffle-style giveaways to get students out. You could give out a $1000 cash prize every game, it would cost $17k for the season and it would drive tons of turnout. If the promotional budget is high enough, you could even do free tuition every game.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

y’all remember the student behind the goal who dressed in the wacky costumes?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

THIS! I spent the night outside waiting in line to get student tickets. Most amazing game ever! impossible to speak to someone sitting next to you

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• IMG_0686.png
    IMG_0686.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 20

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm think the games in '85 were the absolute loudest ever. We had a good '84 season & Cremins was working the fraternity houses hard. We started off beating a ranked NcSt team that had Spud, Lorenzo Charles (pizza robbery) and Washburn. Beat Maryland with Len Bias (an absolute monster) and Branch (Yo' Adrian wanna toke?) and of course Lefty with the empty gas tank gage skull caps, lost to Wake and then the Grant brothers mugged us at home. We then went on a tear beating the Hoos Polynice and She He, paid back the Grants, beat a loaded unc squad on road (Daughtery, Smith, Hale) and beat Maryland again. Then came dook with Dawkins, Amaker, Alarie and Jay "Big ***" Bilas. They were #4, the TiT was nuts.

In '86 every game was nuts. I don't think we lost at the TiT that year. So many great games. Best 2 year period in my mind we ever had.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I'm think the games in '85 were the absolute loudest ever. We had a good '84 season & Cremins was working the fraternity houses hard. We started off beating a ranked NcSt team that had Spud, Lorenzo Charles (pizza robbery) and Washburn. Beat Maryland with Len Bias (an absolute monster) and Branch (Yo' Adrian wanna toke?) and of course Lefty with the empty gas tank gage skull caps, lost to Wake and then the Grant brothers mugged us at home. We then went on a tear beating the Hoos Polynice and She He, paid back the Grants, beat a loaded unc squad on road (Daughtery, Smith, Hale) and beat Maryland again. Then came dook with Dawkins, Amaker, Alarie and Jay "Big ***" Bilas. They were #4, the TiT was nuts.

In '86 every game was nuts. I don't think we lost at the TiT that year. So many great games. Best 2 year period in my mind we ever had.
What does TiT men?