Wes Walker

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Read an article where he said "no disrespect to tech, but everything around here is just more professional." I guess the "culture" changed after the ut kicker transferred to tech. Funny he said the same thing about tech vs ut. Sat down south is the page. Definitely slanted toward the $ec for most articles and subscribers.
Who is Wes Walker?

Edit: After reading everyone's comments I see he was an ex-GT FB player. The name had just never stuck with me.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
There's the flip side. A student came to see me yesterday. Plays for Auburn football. He's failing the class and when I asked him what's troubling him, "Man, I just have so much going on!"

He's cashing in. But he's not focused on school OR football. I predict he will be out of school by summer.

1. How good is he?
2. Is he in a position of need for GT? ;)
3. How does Auburn handle athletes and classes? Do GAs check to make sure they attend class every day? Are they checking with you on grades and if they are passing? How much pressure from the coaches to "help them out" or advise on how to help them do better?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Great point
Gt has gtaa in a separate little corne.
I think make a strategic plan should be made by the Prez . It's stated goal should be to make gt football highly competitive.
Exactly. We need a president who will say enough is enough and make the GTAA a real business rather than a fund raising event.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It seems that the news that ADTS rebuffed a few boosters who wanted to fire CGC after last season show that we do have an AD with a backbone. Right or wrong, he is not letting someone with money tell him what to do. Yet he was bashed on this platform.

The other side of that is several mega donors were a BIG reason why CGC was hired in the first place.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
1. How good is he?
2. Is he in a position of need for GT? ;)
3. How does Auburn handle athletes and classes? Do GAs check to make sure they attend class every day? Are they checking with you on grades and if they are passing? How much pressure from the coaches to "help them out" or advise on how to help them do better?
He's a 4-star. And he could have immediate impact on offense. Projected NFL draftee.

How does AU handle athletes? The Athletic Dept checks progress 3-4 times a semester. They track 100% attendance at all times (athletes are monitored by geolocation on their phones). If they are in danger or failing, they are required to meet with both instructors and advisors.

There can be NO intervention nation by the coaching staff to academics. It's pretty rigorous. I expect this dude has a lot of folks telling him to get with the program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was Wes a part of something great at gt football ? Why do we care what he says? You guys must have worked Corp or govt where no body leaves.
The guy just gave UT a complement.
He could have said that Josh H is an offensive football genius - to quote my son who was ga at ou when Josh was there.

At GT now
The db transfers out to nfl oblivion and to other schools and their coaches are gone. New db coaches brought in replacements. As a group they seem to be equal or better. Eye ball test says the new dB are at least near the other teams wr.
These words came out of cgc about position coaching -" its not enough to have told the players , it's necessary to be sure they understand".
What could be the difference between UT and GA Tech?
Now
UT 78$m TV money and Total 139$m.
GT 37$M TVmoney and Total 86$m.
There Donations = 24$m and or 7$m.
Some thing NEWLY INCREASED AT GT REVENUE - "OTHER REVENUE " IS 19$m which beats UT by 12$m! Please tell me this is a real source of income and not a pay day loan!.
Look at Debt - UT 10$m and will be debt free next year. Didn't look because it hurts $200m and no principal payment in decade.

The Gt Admin ( hill) has allowed gt football to decline into great debt that can't be repaid from with revenues . They should have cried for help.

Yelling at an AD be professional won't fix the structural part.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What difference does it make who is signing the check? They’re getting paid to play football. Period. And some of these kids get massive deals because they are delivering/expected to deliver. You sign a big NIL deal, the check signer wants to see results. You don’t deliver?
Because the implication is that he was trashing a former employer and that former employer was Georgia Tech. He was never employed by Georgia Tech, he was paid by NIL funds and/or various other entities, but not directly through Georgia Tech. If he was trashing his former employer, he would be talking **** about tiVo or waffle house or whoever else he was getting NIL money from. I agree it's not a good look either way, let's just get the facts straight.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Because the implication is that he was trashing a former employer and that former employer was Georgia Tech. He was never employed by Georgia Tech, he was paid by NIL funds and/or various other entities, but not directly through Georgia Tech. If he was trashing his former employer, he would be talking **** about tiVo or waffle house or whoever else he was getting NIL money from. I agree it's not a good look either way, let's just get the facts straight.
Cool. Thanks for clearing up the facts for everyone.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
He's a 4-star. And he could have immediate impact on offense. Projected NFL draftee.

How does AU handle athletes? The Athletic Dept checks progress 3-4 times a semester. They track 100% attendance at all times (athletes are monitored by geolocation on their phones). If they are in danger or failing, they are required to meet with both instructors and advisors.

There can be NO intervention nation by the coaching staff to academics. It's pretty rigorous. I expect this dude has a lot of folks telling him to get with the program.
He's a defensive back not offense. And he didn't start last year and probably would not have started this year. Factor that into his comments. Why do you say he is a projected NFL draftee?

He was an Andy McCollum recruit from the last staff. Factor that into the comments too.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

So the meeting with the instructors and advisors is just with the athlete or with the AA advisors? Just curious as to how thoroughly the coaches are monitoring or aware of athletes in danger of not passing and how actively they are pushing tutors/advisors, etc. if in danger of losing eligibility.

Thanks for the info. Fascinating stuff and I'm sure different than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
He's a defensive back not offense. And he didn't start last year and probably would not have started this year. Factor that into his comments. Why do you say he is a projected NFL draftee?

He was an Andy McCollum recruit from the last staff. Factor that into the comments too.

He was responding to my question about his Auburn student, not Walker.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

He wasn’t talking about Wes walker. He was talking about an auburn player he knows personally

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Read an article where he said "no disrespect to tech, but everything around here is just more professional." I guess the "culture" changed after the ut kicker transferred to tech. Funny he said the same thing about tech vs ut. Sat down south is the page. Definitely slanted toward the $ec for most articles and subscribers.
Given how our coaching staff was structured for defensive backs last year (I never understood the idea of one coach for CBs and one for safeties) and the visible lack of communication on the field; I can see how it would seem unprofessional. Our defensive backfield was a disaster last year. It seems to be much improved this year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. It's paid by the school. So he is an employee earning a tax free reimbursement for his talents.
I'm not sure that qualifies as employment then, since he is getting no income, but I'll drop it since it's obviously getting some other's panties all in a twist.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

How do you know who my student is? Fact. He is on offense, not defense. He started last year and is a starter this year. And he is assumed to be a draftee by those in the know.

I don't think he has any idea who McCollum was and doesn't care.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How do you know who my student is? Fact. He is on offense, not defense. He started last year and is a starter this year. And he is assumed to be a draftee by those in the know.

I don't think he has any idea who McCollum was and doesn't care.

I think he conflated your response with the question asked near yours about who Wes Walker was.