Wes Walker

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How do you know who my student is? Fact. He is on offense, not defense. He started last year and is a starter this year. And he is assumed to be a draftee by those in the know.

I don't think he has any idea who McCollum was and doesn't care.
The thread was about Wes saying something more positive about UT, until you brought up your student.
Are u going to kinda , you know, kinda here what the jock was saying. How bout u slip me a C grade and I ll share u some big NIL dollars. Just joking.

College Football is changing fast. The pressure on players and coaches can be overwhelming.

Perhaps your player needs a mature teammate as a roommate. He could be someone from a similar background so he could relate and keep him on the straight and narrow. I bet Auburn already thought of that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The thread was about Wes saying something more positive about UT, until you brought up your student.
Are u going to kinda , you know, kinda here what the jock was saying. How bout u slip me a C grade and I ll share u some big NIL dollars. Just joking.

College Football is changing fast. The pressure on players and coaches can be overwhelming.

Perhaps your player needs a mature teammate as a roommate. He could be someone from a similar background so he could relate and keep him on the straight and narrow. I bet Auburn already thought of that.
There's an entire infrastructure to support SA's on these things. But the $$$ are tempting and I can easily see them making really bad short-term decisions. I have a few others, starters as well, who seem to have their heads together and are clear-eyed on what they are willing to do. Everyone's circumstances are different.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another data point from Jahmyr Gibbs in the interview below.

Question: "What's the biggest difference in the culture between the Alabama program and Georgia Tech?"

Jahmyr: "It's not really a huge difference because there's a lot of coaches that were at Alabama that are at GT right now, so they brought that culture there, so it's basically the same thing."

That's just proof the coaches at Bama don't trust guys to wanna be great, but the coaches at Tennessee.... do?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Who cares what Walker said. He can say whatever he wants. We all can see with our own eyes and through on field results that our current head coach is not up to task. We will look back on these years and laugh. Walker is saying he wants to be held accountable for a high performance. He didn’t find it at GT. It’s obvious he didn’t because nothing and no one is being held accountable for anything. False start, stay in the game. Jump offside, stay in the game. Get burned over and over again, stay in the game and be called high level. Do anything wrong and get a high five and hug coming off the field. We are a rec league program being coached by a dad. Meanwhile, we are about to play a team where the players know they have to earn playing time and are pushed by their coaching staff and not high fived. This difference in mindset will be seen during the 60 minutes of play just like we’ve seen over and over again. I feel bad for our players.
Did 17 D Knight play this week after the punter protection blocking fiasco at Clemson?

I saw him on field at mbs - he has 6 tackles. Did not see him in WC game. Maybe cgc is listening to you

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Wes Walker's position coaches at GT are gone as well as Pruitt being gone. Could explain Gibbs saying GT and Bama culture are the same (i.e. depends on who is coaching you).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't even understand how some people think what he said was "trashing" GT. I would say my current employer is less professional than my last employer. I would also say that it's a good thing and is why it is a more successful company. It is also why I fit into the current culture more than my previous company.

Every person is different, and what motivates them is different. Just because the culture of GT didn't mesh will with whoever Walker is, doesn't mean it isn't a good culture.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Did 17 D Knight play this week after the punter protection blocking fiasco at Clemson?
Believe it was #10, the LB, that didn't follow basic Punt Pro rule of always take the inside rusher...... with a good snap (they were) there's never any way a punt should be blocked off the edge, so you take the inside guy..... But when your punter is a 3 or 4 stepper, all bets are off.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Another data point from Jahmyr Gibbs in the interview below.

Question: "What's the biggest difference in the culture between the Alabama program and Georgia Tech?"

Jahmyr: "It's not really a huge difference because there's a lot of coaches that were at Alabama that are at GT right now, so they brought that culture there, so it's basically the same thing."

Too bad the results don 't show it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, the only negative part about Collins culture and his highlighting of it is that it gives grumpy fans more reason to be grumpy.

Pete Carrol land Bill Belichick foster *vastly* different cultures, yet both are winning coaches. The most important part about culture is that you recruit talent that fits the culture and you strive to have 100% buy in.

I would honestly rather have teeth pulled than deal with PJ Fleck and his row the boat nonsense at Minnesota, but his players seem to buy in and he's had success with it.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan

I saw him on field at mbs - he has 6 tackles. Did not see him in WC game. Maybe cgc is listening to you
He did not play any downs at all. Not to mention he was the one who prevented the touch down on the blocked punt. Gave the defense an opportunity to keep them from scoring on offense..which clearly didn’t happen

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, the only negative part about Collins culture and his highlighting of it is that it gives grumpy fans more reason to be grumpy.

Pete Carrol land Bill Belichick foster *vastly* different cultures, yet both are winning coaches. The most important part about culture is that you recruit talent that fits the culture and you strive to have 100% buy in.

I would honestly rather have teeth pulled than deal with PJ Fleck and his row the boat nonsense at Minnesota, but his players seem to buy in and he's had success with it.
Problem = you have named two coaches who, whatever their differences, would never, ever allow anything like a "juice box" on the sidelines during a game. And who both insist on on-the-field discipline and run sidelines that look and act like every play counts. The main difference, so near as I can see, is in their reactions to players as they come off the field.

Collins seems to have figured out - after three years, mind - that some of the antics criticized here over and over by multiple fonts are counterproductive. Good. We'll see if that helps as the year goes on. It should.

And, of course, I couldn't stomach Fleck either.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Walker make a tackle for Tenn. on the game Saturday. That is one more than I saw him make for Tech. I'm sure he made some but I don't think he got the playing time he should have while here. That probably led to him transferring.
If I remember correctly; he has a wife and child in Tennessee. He graduated from Tech and wanted to get closer to them.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The biggest negative about Collins culture is he gives poorly performing guys accolades and did not take from them what they prized most- playing time. Second in line is overhyping players where hard work, focus and dedication are de-emphasized/ seemed less important to an individual and team’s success and flashy, eye catching stunts are lauded, encouraged instead and make them look foolish when the results are poor.

That should be everyone’s takeaway here and if you’re still drinking the koolaid you have a very unique perspective on life. I know of no successful organization that runs like we’re trying to make one run now. Perhaps there are in certain entertainment circles but not in any I know of where quantity and quality of product is valued.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The biggest negative about Collins culture is he gives poorly performing guys accolades and did not take from them what they prized most- playing time. Second in line is overhyping players where hard work, focus and dedication are de-emphasized/ seemed less important to an individual and team’s success and flashy, eye catching stunts are lauded, encouraged instead and make them look foolish when the results are poor.

That should be everyone’s takeaway here and if you’re still drinking the koolaid you have a very unique perspective on life. I know of no successful organization that runs like we’re trying to make one run now. Perhaps there are in certain entertainment circles but not in any I know of where quantity and quality of product is valued.
It's actually wild that it seems I ended up on a side supporting CGC (I really don't think he should be the coach of the Jackets).

"The biggest negative about Collins culture is he gives poorly performing guys accolades and did not take from them what they prized most- playing time."
Unless you have a direct source into the program (which I don't and the majority of people don't), how could this be concluded? Our defense was putrid last year, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been worse had back ups been put in.

"Second in line is overhyping players where hard work, focus and dedication are de-emphasized/ seemed less important to an individual and team’s success and flashy, eye catching stunts are lauded, encouraged instead and make them look foolish when the results are poor."
I feel like what CGC says publicly is why a lot of people seem to get the "used car salesman" vibe from him. I can't dispute that because it truly is what his outward presentation is. What we don't have is direct sight into what the actual team meetings look like and what the practices look like. Just because CGC hypes things in a press conference doesn't mean he does so on the practice field. I think it would be strange to make the assumption that he does.

At the end of the day, CGC is going to be graded on what his W/L record is, and what prominent boosters think about his performane. "Culture" really doesn't matter when a team is losing. I still find it hard to draw the conclusions you without inside information.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins has pretty clearly shown himself to be a poor coach but the bolded part above seems to be made up out of whole cloth. Pretty much every interview with the players they talk about working hard/ stacking days/etc. They seem to very strongly emphasize hard work. It may be working hard in the wrong direction but the guys don't seem to lack for dedication

JacketFan137

Banned
Collins has pretty clearly shown himself to be a poor coach but the bolded part above seems to be made up out of whole cloth. Pretty much every interview with the players they talk about working hard/ stacking days/etc. They seem to very strongly emphasize hard work. It may be working hard in the wrong direction but the guys don't seem to lack for dedication
our players have pretty significant changes physically after a year or 2 in our S&C program. to say they don’t work hard is really unfair to the kids