Welp. UCF 27 - GT 10

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He punted for us last year, and we didn't have this problem. How is this on the punter alone, when the same guy wasn't getting blocked last season?
The replay from yesterday kind of looked like he was fumbling the snap & I thought it was like that on 1 or 2 other punt blocks this year, but there also looked to be some blocking issues. Whatever the exact cause, it would be preferable not to set the NCAA record in punts blocked in the 1st third of the season. Surely someone was tasked with breaking down the game tape and should have been figuring it out.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The replay from yesterday kind of looked like he was fumbling the snap & I thought it was like that on 1 or 2 other punt blocks this year, but there also looked to be some blocking issues. Whatever the exact cause, it would be preferable not to set the NCAA record in punts blocked in the 1st third of the season. Surely someone was tasked with breaking down the game tape and should have been figuring it out.
Collins said he was personally coaching the blocking on punts so…

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
They have athletic talent but are poorly coached, from what I see. Thus the errors.

Poor coaching, lack of discipline, and red zone play calling no doubt but some blame for situational awareness is on the players, for example the QB not running for the sticks on possession downs, receivers not routing to the sticks on possession downs, D players giving away 3rd down stops with post snap penalties. And the kickers are repeating their mistakes.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Poor coaching, lack of discipline, and red zone play calling no doubt but some blame for situational awareness is on the players, for example the QB not running for the sticks on possession downs, receivers not routing to the sticks on possession downs, D players giving away 3rd down stops with post snap penalties. And the kickers are repeating their mistakes.
My mistake: pre snap penalties.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you watch the replay, nobody on the defense shifts, nobody gets out of position, nobody does anything to indicate that they were fooled by the tail motion or the reverse pivot by Sims. So ... why?

I don't think it was about really catching the other team completely fooled but rather trying to create a numbers mismatch and getting enough hesitation to allow for the hole to develop. To me what it looked like was the defense wanted to bring extra pressure on Sims, either for an expected pass, or to try and get him from behind if he rolled out to the wide side. So they had that end defender (believe it was a LB) being aggressive and on the line and getting up the field in a hurry. Because of this our pulling guard gets a block, but not a good one and the defender made a good adjustment to get into the legs of the running back. Without that it looks like the motion man takes on of the DBs out wide which would have made it hard for them to come back and get a stop against a back with momentum, and there was another LB who was basically being forced to either fill the inside hole (which he did but that could have been a response to the runner already being held up) or the outside. If the pulling guard gets a good block, or the defender gets more upfield, then it looks like that play would work. I do question why we ran that with what we've seen from our run game blocking this year but the actual design of the play looked fine to me.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This play will be forgotten bc of the loss. But it is one of the greatest hustle plays in GT history. We a had a DB (Milton? White?) do something similar up in Pittsburg a few years back. Don Bebee of the Buffalo Bills made a similar play against the Cowboys many moons ago in a Super Bowl that still gets shown on TV from time to time. It is wonderful to see people who take pride in what they do and give it their best at all times. It's a rare trait.
Milton made the play against the Dawgs, White made the play against Pitt. I believe Milton's play put the ball out of bonds on the 2 and we then got a fumble recovery on our goal line stand to prevent the score. White's play was very much like McCollum's. All three plays were great individual efforts and all three prevented TDs. I got to see two of them in person. Wish we could clone that never give up play.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Some blame, but ultimately it all falls back on the coaches.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Milton made the play against the Dawgs, White made the play against Pitt. I believe Milton's play put the ball out of bonds on the 2 and we then got a fumble recovery on our goal line stand to prevent the score. White's play was very much like McCollum's. All three plays were great individual efforts and all three prevented TDs. I got to see two of them in person. Wish we could clone that never give up play.
Not as much remembered, but I was impressed with a play Matt Uremovich made once where he went sideline to sideline to knock a Terp out of bounds at the 5-yard line. I honestly don't remember if they ended up scoring, but I was amazed by the hustle. That guy went all out every play.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else think that the overturning of the targeting call near the end of the first-half was just egregiously bad? I mean the UCF guy launched and hit our player right in the side of the helmet with the top of his helmet, if that’s not targeting then wtf is?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else think that the overturning of the targeting call near the end of the first-half was just egregiously bad? I mean the UCF guy launched and hit our player right in the side of the helmet with the top of his helmet, if that’s not targeting then wtf is?
I did not think either play was targeting.

With the second targeting being called, I feel like the first one should have too though. I didn't know that targeting didn't required helmet to helmet contact. he fact that Thomas hit with the crown is apparently "by the book" targetting.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I did not think either play was targeting.

With the second targeting being called, I feel like the first one should have too though. I didn't know that targeting didn't required helmet to helmet contact. he fact that Thomas hit with the crown is apparently "by the book" targetting.
The reason it's targeting is to protect not only the one being hit but also the one doing the hitting. I think the danger was to Thomas on the play. He really shouldn't be leading with his head.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The reason it's targeting is to protect not only the one being hit but also the one doing the hitting. I think the danger was to Thomas on the play. He really shouldn't be leading with his head.
I understand the logic, I just always thought the pre-requisite to targeting was helmet to helmet. It was news to me when I looked up the actual rule and saw that the "crown of the helmet" portion was irrespective of helmet to helmet. Once I saw the latter of the rule, it made sense.

I do think the UCF targeting was in the subjective realms, but I stand by what I said.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
So I forked out the money for season tickets again this season. And I've been to every home game so far (including the Benz). I'm not going to say it hasn't been frustrating but I think the players deserve our support. And it makes for a good excuse to get some one-on-one time with my boy. I'll miss the Duke game due to a backpacking trip that I take every six months. But we'll be back for the Thursday nighter against UVA.

That being said, I did decide it wasn't worth the extra to bump up my Hulu sub to the live version to see these road games. I listened to the radio broadcast while doing yardwork. That blocked punt was a punch to the gut.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed this as well; your term is what I was trying to think of. As for the question of coaching vs players, it seems that if it were just an occasional random event you could chalk that up to player attention, but it really seems to be a systemic issue on our team affecting most of our position groups. I would also posit that it's a coachable trait, just like when instructing a young driver to be alert and aware of their surroundings. Of course, maybe we have tried that and yet players' attention still wanders.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed this as well; your term is what I was trying to think of. As for the question of coaching vs players, it seems that if it were just an occasional random event you could chalk that up to player attention, but it really seems to be a systemic issue on our team affecting most of our position groups. I would also posit that it's a coachable trait, just like when instructing a young driver to be alert and aware of their surroundings. Of course, maybe we have tried that and yet players' attention still wanders.
We're in our 4th season of not haiving fundamentals reinforced. We should not be surprised. We went from players being yanked from the game & choked out when they made a mistake, to left in & receiving a tender pat on the butt later on when they finally came out for change of possession or a breather.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
He punted for us last year, and we didn't have this problem. How is this on the punter alone, when the same guy wasn't getting blocked last season?
We had some punts blocked last year as well. I don’t put all the blame on him but he is taking too many steps, that’s what no one is pointing out. So I did.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We're in our 4th season of not haiving fundamentals reinforced. We should not be surprised. We went from players being yanked from the game & choked out when they made a mistake, to left in & receiving a tender pat on the butt later on when they finally came out for change of possession or a breather.
Dc at ou -Ted roof is on tv verses tcu. 27 point at end of first quarter.
Groh was before him.

Tech defense hasnt been good for years.