Weird - I've been thinking

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was worried about the following during preseason:

1. Devine not being ready. I haven't watched replays like others but seems to me he has played pretty well.
2. Linebackers -Macordes and Davis. They haven't been bad - in fact pretty good.

things was not worried about
1. Thought bbacks, abacks, and other olinemen would be fine. Burden would be all-acc. Backs aren't breaking tackles or blocking, some on the oline look lost.
2. JT would make the right reads.
3. Dline would make big plays. While they have not been bad, have not seen the tackles out of gotsis and hunt that thought I would.
4. Dbacks would be very good. DJWhite playing well but others not as well as I would have hoped - particularly senior safeties.

I s everything upside down or should I just quit thinking?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can say JT is making the wrong reads. He may be making the correct read, but not giving based on the read he makes. For example if he sees the DE trying to play soft, that would normally be a give. The DE did not commit to the dive. JT may think he can pull the ball and burn the DE with his speed. The problem lately is that the blocking has been so bad people are making tackles from the backside. JT can't see them when he is making the read.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I was worried about the following during preseason:

1. Devine not being ready. I haven't watched replays like others but seems to me he has played pretty well.
2. Linebackers -Macordes and Davis. They haven't been bad - in fact pretty good.

things was not worried about
1. Thought bbacks, abacks, and other olinemen would be fine. Burden would be all-acc. Backs aren't breaking tackles or blocking, some on the oline look lost.
2. JT would make the right reads.
3. Dline would make big plays. While they have not been bad, have not seen the tackles out of gotsis and hunt that thought I would.
4. Dbacks would be very good. DJWhite playing well but others not as well as I would have hoped - particularly senior safeties.

I s everything upside down or should I just quit thinking?

As the best movie quote of the last 25 years went.........................Don't think Meat you can only hurt the club! :ROFLMAO:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
JT certainty made a bad read on the last fumble at duke. The ball should have been given to Skov. There have been other times of him not taking the ball deep enough to the defensive end. I will admit that was a tough comment given the blocking and I certainly don't blame JT for all our problems. So maybe you are right, that one is a bit on the tough side.

I'm curious to see if the oline plays to their ability. I think that takes a lot of pressure of the quarterback. When he has holes and options to choose from. Hopefully coaches put the fire into the oline and abacks and wr's.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I am not sure what you expected to see out of the DTs that you haven't. Generally speaking, a DT has to be a real dominant type of player to ring up a bunch of tackles. Our DTs are doing pretty good, short of dominant though, I agree. Personally, I didn't ever expect to see thes kinds of problems from the OL. That has been the surprise for me.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you on the dline, they have done a reasonable job of stuffing the blockers and the run so LB's could make plays. Although the Duke QB did have some holes early on in the game. I certainly don't think they have been bad, but I was just expecting a bit more tackles from the two I mentioned. Played badly - N0. But as you say, I thought they might be a little more dominant on run defense and getting pressure on the QB without the blitz. This week will be a better test unless of course UNC just does the quick dump pass so no time to get to him. The defense all-in-all is playing reasonably well. A few too man big plays and I really didn't like the 91 yard run -but much better. Remember, Duke's offense got stuffed by Northwestern - just saying.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Northwestern has a great defense.

I think we (for some reason) got shocked by how physical and fast Duke was playing at first. That's why we got ourselves into such a huge hole. For some reason this team appeared to think that Duke was a lot different (i.e. slower, not as strong) from ND. Well they aren't...and no one else is either. Hopefully it was a lesson they've taken to heart and we won't see them come out so flat from here on out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think Gotsis and Hunt are playing quite well. We got good pressure and some sacks against both ND and Puke. Neither one is Warren Sapp, but who is? I do look forward to getting Gamble back; he was playing extremely well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think Gotsis and Hunt are playing quite well. We got good pressure and some sacks against both ND and Puke. Neither one is Warren Sapp, but who is? I do look forward to getting Gamble back; he was playing extremely well.
Agree, these dt must rush in lanes to keep ol off our undersized lbs one of which is playing very fast. Also thought Francis Kallon did well in second half.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
U gotta ask yourself if you are surprised by our linebackers because of the fact our dl is doing a good job.......when u say yes then u know the answer :)

The lb always look better when the 4 up front occupy 5-6 on the O. We are.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
U gotta ask yourself if you are surprised by our linebackers because of the fact our dl is doing a good job.......when u say yes then u know the answer :)

The lb always look better when the 4 up front occupy 5-6 on the O. We are.
In first q the dl fid fine but roof had litle blitzing run lanes and fairly quickly the dl brike down or back ran thru hole and lb met hin 3- yd down field then caried 3 yac.
We need to send 5 to make offense hurry.
Sure hope we keep up the pressure.

Bl