Week over week improvement

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched Maryland vs Syracuse and one thing really stuck out to me. Maryland has a new HC & OC but that offense looks like a well oiled machine. Now I realize that transition is not the same but you tell me Coach can’t put an offense together to max JG’s skills. Does the team have that many holes?

Maryland’s offense was actually pretty good last year and not dissimilar from what they are running this year. They scored 42 on Minnesota and 51 on OSU last year.

Totally apples and oranges.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Linebackers: I know the defense is playing well and converted defensive back Charlie Thomas was named ACC Linebacker of the Week, but others still need to get better.
Quarterbacks: With our luck the Citadel will probably play us tough, but I wish that we could build a lead and let Jordan Yates in for a series. He can play in four games and this might be his chance.
Offensive Line: Years of recruiting a different style lineman has taken its toll this year. Our transfer linemen didn't even start on the teams they came from. I don't have an answer for this problem. We can't afford another injury.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offensive Line:
Years of recruiting a different style lineman has taken its toll this year. Our transfer linemen didn't even start on the teams they came from. I don't have an answer for this problem. We can't afford another injury.

Agree. We can't afford the injuries we have had. No O scheme works without a good O line.

From years of being under center, we don't have centers who can consistently snap. That's a problem since every play has a snap from center.

Time is the answer to this problem. Unfortunatley, this is going to take 2-3 years to fully fix IMHO.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Based on our coverage history I am worried about any returner. As a rule of mine I would never kickoff to the other team's best returner. We have a choice who returns and they do not. Take advantage.
Good point. I’m starting with a clean slate for special teams this year and hoping it improves along with the defense. We were shaky at Clemson.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
My driveby comment of the day - we had less offensive yards at home against USF than we did on the road at a night game at Clemson.

In fairness, we've had a few key OL go down, but we've got to find a better rhythm than we had last week.

SFL had something to go on in preparation, Clemson had no idea what the hell we were going to do.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. We can't afford the injuries we have had. No O scheme works without a good O line.

From years of being under center, we don't have centers who can consistently snap. That's a problem since every play has a snap from center.

Time is the answer to this problem. Unfortunatley, this is going to take 2-3 years to fully fix IMHO.

My drive by comment on this one:

Not so sure about this. Not that I ever played center, but I did take snaps under center and that can be difficult. Any deviation in movement by either the center or QB can screw it up.

I would think it easier to snap to the quarterback in the shotgun.

Any centers out there can tell me I am wrong.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
My drive by comment on this one:

Not so sure about this. Not that I ever played center, but I did take snaps under center and that can be difficult. Any deviation in movement by either the center or QB can screw it up.

I would think it easier to snap to the quarterback in the shotgun.

Any centers out there can tell me I am wrong.

Its different. What i've noticed from our centers is that they are not keeping their *** straight its causing the ball to drift.

High snaps are often caused by *** being to high, low by squatting to much into it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its different. What i've noticed from our centers is that they are not keeping their *** straight its causing the ball to drift.

High snaps are often caused by *** being to high, low by squatting to much into it.
What if you have a big belly?
I would have to jack my xxx straight up and lower my head just to snap it at his knees. .
Seriosly, snapping looks very difficult.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not sure who makes the protection calls on the line, but I’m used to the center doing that. We do rotate a bit, but we had a backup in for three quarters last week. I don’t know how much that affected the blocking and play calling. Week to week, I think we’ll get better at avoiding big negative plays because of that, but I think it will be gradual.

I’d expect to see Graham getting more natural with the checks and calls faster than TO gets better with his reads and throwing.

We can get a little better this season. I expect to get a lot better in the offseason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolHandluq

Georgia Tech Fan
There is evidence of improvement as we are on the verge of breaking out of the "bottom 25"
Last weeks game was titled "Bottom 25 Game of the Century of the Week"
GT fell up from 9th worst to 22
USF fell up from 2nd worst to 3rd
Bottom 25 college football rankings: Tennessee, Miami, Arkansas make their 2019 debut
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...nnessee-miami-arkansas-make-their-2019-debut/

This is the dumbest list ever, first its not original and a bad copy of Espn bottom 10. Second Espn list at least makes sense with the one spot reserved for a big boy school who deserves some crap for the week but the rest of the teams on espn's list are awful.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My issues.

I’m not seeing these specialized plays per qb.
a. Screens
b. Quick slants
c. The RPO’s

Where is the creativity?
You have dynamic qb’s be creative with the O. Idk I just don’t see the creativity.
Hard to be creative with the OL issues we are having.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Hard to be creative with the OL issues we are having.

We should be running an air raid concept with this line for our passing game or true run and shoot (3 step fire off slide protection with backside fill to double blindside DE) Its actually in the playbook and honestly isn't that far off of the passing game under johnson (especially under JT) It helps the line out as they only have to obstruct for a shorter time and if its not there QB just takes off for 5-50 yds depending on lane security.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Two easy solutions.
1. Practice snapping the damn ball. (Preferred)
2. Out the QB under center. (First sign of the coming apocalypse and certain gtswarm meltdown.

Don’t we have an Oline coach capable of teaching a center to snap the ball? Every other team in America seems to have one.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Two easy solutions.
1. Practice snapping the damn ball. (Preferred)
2. Out the QB under center. (First sign of the coming apocalypse and certain gtswarm meltdown.

Don’t we have an Oline coach capable of teaching a center to snap the ball? Every other team in America seems to have one.

Bad snaps are sometimes an indicator the center is getting beat, or concerned about getting beat, by his man and he is trying to get into blocking position too quickly. Our center probably just needs more snaps to gain confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk