Week over week improvement

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the transition from coaching staffs, what does everyone want to see as far as improvement from the team? It’s a process and I’m taking each game with a grain of salt.

Offense:
-Better snaps from center
-More efficient offense (able to drive down the field)
-QB to step forward(I feel like if one starts to struggle against FCS competition they may get moved to BTL)

Defense:
-No mental mistakes and playing their assignment
-Prevent the big plays

Not too much for the defense to gain from the game but just want no injuries and the big plays to be prevented.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll go by position
QB - Would like to see over next few weeks a primary 2 settled on to run the offense and one being primary and one being used as hybrid/wildcat so looks to be Graham/LJ and Oliver and would like to see a QB handle several back to back possessions and build some constiency moving the ball even if ever drive doesn't end up in points would be nice to see 5-6 drives that show getting the ball up field and no 3 and outs.
RB - We all should be happy with Mason he seems to be a great all-around Tailback, but would be nice to see Griffin, D.Smith, and Howard Jr. get some more experience and see what they have
TE - Just good blocking and maybe some short yardage usage where they hold onto the ball.
OL - A little bit of luck on health and god better snapping it's bad enough at times they are just flat out beat due to lack of skill but if your making the QB play scoop or reach across their body to collect the hike it's really hard then to make a read on zone or scan field.
WRs: I would love to see Amerson get more opportunities at quick slants or shallow crosses to see if can get him open space to run and Carter to be incorporate more into the on curls etc seems to receive the ball well at least but that's required of blocking from oline and QBs who stay in pocket a little more

DL - Continue to be aggressive and work this is not the most talented group of guys but they seem to be in great condition and really worked and got after it against South Florida. If they can maintain that intensity and still be disciplined in the calls they can be serviceable and that is saying alot considering the depth and talent level.
LB - Quez/Knight/Thomas look to be playmakers and love how they used them on occasions as sorta a LEO D-End on certain pass rushes it was nice to see 225-235 LBs convert to speed rushers adding a wrinkle to help out our overall pass rush...Curry just steady he's a guy that should never be asked to cover any RBs or WRs in pass coverage but he's disciplined in playing his run responsibilities.
CB/S - What can you say but these guys look legitimately like a top 5 unit in the ACC and some good predige in the group plus obvious strengths of the coaching staff in handling DBs several guys have seemingly reach a new level - Swilling, Oliver, Carpenter, and J.Thomas all played well against south Florida and the group as a whole did cause Clemson some headaches.
K - Well* pun intend they need more opportunities to kick FG plain and simple so we need the offense to be a little better in putting them in that position. I'm not sure the whole ATL argument but Wells should be prime kicker and perhaps coach was just thinking that FG was only in Kings range really though shouldn't have been tried... I don't expect this offense to put up a ton of TDs every game but even being able to get our FG opportunities we should be looking for them to make 2-3 FGs a game for us

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
2 qbs is a good number to run with. I love TO but he’s not a passing threat. I’d like to see him line up in the back field or in the slot. Give him a short yard/goal line package.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see a lot of improvement in the swinging gate play. A whole series of just swinging gate formation would be good to see if we're going to make that our base set in our new innovative pro-style offense going forward. :D

In seriousness, just downfield passing. More strikes down field. Whether it's a wheel route to Howard out of the backfield, or a shot down the seam to a TE, or hitting a streaking A. Brown on a go route I want to see at least one of these. Preferably all 3 and more.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
O
!/2 dozen + options QB to Tobias or RB per game
heavy weight short yardage and red zone pkg (2 or 3 TE types)
Tobias in the game somewhere as much as possible
On third down when passing do not throw short of the sticks for a first down
When chased out of the pocket do not run backwards and make the loss bigger

ST
Put a blocker in front of the punt receiver so he can catch the ball with more confidence and have a better chance of beating the first gunner. In fact I prefer two punt receivers as more punts will be caught and one receiver can block for the other

D
First rusher to the QB: break down and get him, not try to kill him (which leads to miss tackles and big penalties)
Off to a great start. Keep it up.

Deleted member 2897

My driveby comment of the day - we had less offensive yards at home against USF than we did on the road at a night game at Clemson.

In fairness, we've had a few key OL go down, but we've got to find a better rhythm than we had last week.

Jmonty71

Banned
Given the transition from coaching staffs, what does everyone want to see as far as improvement from the team? It’s a process and I’m taking each game with a grain of salt.

Offense:
-Better snaps from center
-More efficient offense (able to drive down the field)
-QB to step forward(I feel like if one starts to struggle against FCS competition they may get moved to BTL)

Defense:
-No mental mistakes and playing their assignment
-Prevent the big plays

Not too much for the defense to gain from the game but just want no injuries and the big plays to be prevented.
I would like to see an overall improvement in the offense. Each week, we should be blocking better. Each week, the QBs should read coverage better. Each week, we should do better.

As for the D? I would like to see the mental mistakes go down. Most of our issues come from not being in the right place and not doing the small things. Not setting the edges, not blitzing right or messing up coverage on the backside. I want to see less and less of that.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched Maryland vs Syracuse and one thing really stuck out to me. Maryland has a new HC & OC but that offense looks like a well oiled machine. Now I realize that transition is not the same but you tell me Coach can’t put an offense together to max JG’s skills. Does the team have that many holes?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I watched Maryland vs Syracuse and one thing really stuck out to me. Maryland has a new HC & OC but that offense looks like a well oiled machine. Now I realize that transition is not the same but you tell me Coach can’t put an offense together to max JG’s skills. Does the team have that many holes?
Our OL has many holes. It all starts up front. Also, not sure CDP is all that great. Guess we'll see if we can improve over the season.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Choose a QB- Like many, I think it is time to narrow down to 1 QB with a flex on another. We need to develop leadership in the huddle and that is hard when it switches every few downs.
Better clock management- Really a coach/QB issue, we need to get up on the ball and go. It felt like we worked the clock way too early in the game almost like our best offense was winding the clock down...not a confidence builder. I hope we go more uptempo at some point.
Better QB/receiving- I felt there were several routes that didn't make sense and a number of opportunities to scan the field for the better receiver, it didn't happen. On one play, the tight end dove out of bounds when the pass was in bounds, really?
Continual improvement on the defense- Been playing well, this should be a game where we can really get some experience and confidence for our young defense. Half of this is confidence, the goal line stand/turnover was a builder, this week can be too.
Less Punting- We have that down pat, just hope we use less of it.....
Less passing out by fans- This will require less heat, which will require global cooling, which will require everyone to cut down coal fire plants in Asia, stop cows from farting...oh the rabbit hole we can create, bring back the global cooling of the 1970s.

NorthGeorgiaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If you're into podcasts and the Banner Society, Steven Godfrey has a new PAPN where him and Richard Johnson talk briefly about this. Specifically how hard it is as a fan to see this improvement when you might not see W's. Check it out.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
My issues.

I’m not seeing these specialized plays per qb.
a. Screens
b. Quick slants
c. The RPO’s

Where is the creativity?
You have dynamic qb’s be creative with the O. Idk I just don’t see the creativity.