Week 7 ACC and games of note

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we win out, we win the Coastal. If we’re all tied and GT is undefeated in the Coastal, we win.

But, that means winning 4 more games in the Coastal and beating FSU. That would give us 8 wins on the season.

Better to have Duke beat UNC to give us a more reasonable chance.

BTW, Duke got jobbed by the officials at the end of that game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why so much hate with UNC. I got coworkers from UNC, really nice people. But the few coworkers/people I met from Duke, they believe the world spins around them...
Because UNC is the primary threat and roadblock facing us in case we go on an improbable run for the Coastal title. We have already beaten Duke, so we own the edge over them in case of a tie.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You forgot about Duke/Carolina. A Carolina loss gives us breathing room to lose @Noles and still punch our ticket for a 60 minute shot at the championship with wins against UVA, VT, Miami, and UNC.
I was at that game. Refs really helped UNC. Another bizarre roughing call on the QB that led to a UNC touchdown. There was an attempt by the same ref on a later series that sure appeared to be a makeup call but Duke stalled on that drive. Duke got hardly any pressure on Maye and only rushed 3 most of the night. He burned them with runs and hit some big passes.
We should have some size matchups with Jenkins and Blackburn on their corners who aren't that tall. The UNC defense is not that great but Maye is very good to only be a freshman. We will need to slow him and get pressure. They ran a lot of medium to long pass plays with so much time to throw.
Dukes QB is a darn good athlete. He broke a long run for a TD and outran their CB's.
That was the largest crowd I have ever seen at a Duke game. A lot of UNC fans. I was pulling for Duke last night.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at that game. Refs really helped UNC. Another bizarre roughing call on the QB that led to a UNC touchdown. There was an attempt by the same ref on a later series that sure appeared to be a makeup call but Duke stalled on that drive. Duke got hardly any pressure on Maye and only rushed 3 most of the night. He burned them with runs and hit some big passes.
We should have some size matchups with Jenkins and Blackburn on their corners who aren't that tall. The UNC defense is not that great but Maye is very good to only be a freshman. We will need to slow him and get pressure. They ran a lot of medium to long pass plays with so much time to throw.
Dukes QB is a darn good athlete. He broke a long run for a TD and outran their CB's.
That was the largest crowd I have ever seen at a Duke game. A lot of UNC fans. I was pulling for Duke last night.
That roughing the passer call was ridiculous. I really think that if the officials are motivated by the QB's safety, then they should blow the whistle as soon as the QB is wrapped up, and not once they are brought to the ground, otherwise the rules aren't consistent. The opportunity cost is that QBs can't extend the play or escape from a sack. How many throws have been made against us while the QB is in the process of being tackled?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why so much hate with UNC. I got coworkers from UNC, really nice people. But the few coworkers/people I met from Duke, they believe the world spins around them...
I've met 2 dook fans my entire life that were tolerable, most of them are insipid wannabe academic elites. They're just like the assbags up the road except they grew up in gated HOA communities, never touched as much as a screwdriver their entire life because mommy & daddy paid for hired help so they didn't have to get their precious hands dirty. Rich, spolied punks for the most part. dook expolits and leverages that niche extremely well, gotta give them credit there.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee runs a “veer and shoot” mashup of run and shoot and veer offenses (out of the Art Briles tree).

(queue up the "scheme offenses" arguments).
1665933624594.gif

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any kind of explanation for the illegal shift call that stopped Duke from securing the win? I’m at a complete loss and even more confused why no refs objected and had it waived…

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there any kind of explanation for the illegal shift call that stopped Duke from securing the win? I’m at a complete loss and even more confused why no refs objected and had it waived…
Duke had two players in motion at the same time. One of them reset but the other did not by the time the ball was snapped. When two guys go in motion both have to reset prior to the snap. It was the right call.

The chop block was not a good call. The RB blocked the defender at the waist, and as the defender was falling into him, the RT touched him on his shoulder. At no point was he engaged both high and low.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee runs a “veer and shoot” mashup of run and shoot and veer offenses (out of the Art Briles tree).

(queue up the "scheme offenses" arguments).

I mean veer and shoot is what you could have called CPJ's offense at Hawaii too when he was throwing it all over the place. Tenessee's is a bit more updated though. We also implemented the mesh route concept from the pistol in 2011 washington hit hill for a TD agaisnt VT one year off that concept and vad his waller on the vertical.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I can’t blame the young man for leaving us to get a chance to start on the #1 team in the country, but I wish we still had Jamyr. He has 100 yard early in the 3rd qtr against Tennessee.
btw--Wesley Walker is starting at DB for UT. He was the best tackler in our secondary just like Charlie Thomas was/is best tackler at lb..

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We still have an ACC non-Coastal game against F$U in a couple weeks. I actually think this game is our most likely remaining loss aside from UGA.

We would have any tiebreakers around head-to-head record in a 6-2 situation like that though. UNC actually has a tough cross division slate this year (WF and NCST but w/o Leary) so if they go 7-1 with their sole loss being us, they’ve probably still earned the division title.
Media darling FSU needs a come up n. They are good but over rated by media.

If Sims beats them at their place , .... ??

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
btw--Wesley Walker is starting at DB for UT. He was the best tackler in our secondary just like Charlie Thomas was/is best tackler at lb..
TFG played 1,2,3 no matter what.

And then he was gone.

PS Dingle is FB at Kentucky.
We coild use him on punter protection.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Bama - UT game and was reminded of the UT teams in the late 60's. Those outfits were the fastest group of people I ever saw and this crowd is just as quick. The Dwags are in a heap of trouble; I doubt they can beat UT. This may be their year.

And which teams came in second, you ask? It's a tie. This Illinois (I just learned that other Big 10 fans call them Ill-Annoy) team is for real. DeVito is a great QB and they will give OSU and UM a fight for the title. The other is TCU. They may be the only team in the country who could keep up with UT for speed. I don't know how they do it, frankly; every year their skill people on both sides of the ball are just lightening fast. And Duggins is a great QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play for the NC.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Update: I also watched da U and VT. If we continue to improve - we'll see come Thursday - we can beat VT; a Duke- type effort would do the job, I think. And we could beat da U. As usual, they have great athletes, but they are woking out kinks and it is beginning to look like the kinks may be permanent. If so and Tech continues to improve, there's a chance that we will be playing Miami to become bowl-eligible. That would be great and it is within our capabilities. Let's start by beating UVA Thursday and then aim to win on the road!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see an Ol Miss/Tennessee/TCU/ Illinois/Clemson top five going into Championship week.
completely possible, I think. Illinois is a classic Big 10 team: good QB, great RB, good lines on both sides, simple "Me Stronger!" football. We'll see if that works against UM. Also, UT only has one serious road block to the final 5: Ugag. I think they will win that, but you never know.