Week 5 PFF Grades

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t have the energy to post these after UCF and Ole Miss, and have been slammed with work the past few days. But some of yall have asked about the PFF grades this week. Here you go:

Top 5 and bottom 5 graded players on offense (number of snaps):

1.) Hassan Hall (61)
2.) EJ Jenkins (70)
3.) William Lay III (8)
4.) James BlackStrain (5)
5.) Jakiah Leftwich (6)

16.) Weston Franklin (67)
17.) Jordan Williams (75)
18.) Luke Benson (13)
19.) Paula Vaipulu (49)
20.) Jeff Sims (75)

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
With Blackburn and Moore sidelined, we really could use Blackstrain stepping up. Jenkins and Carter scream possession receiver to me, would love to get an outside threat.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 and bottom 5 graded players on defense (number of snaps):

1.) Charlie Thomas (43)
2.) Derrik Allen (25)
3.) Jason Moore (25)
4.) Zeek Biggers (15)
5.) LaMiles Brooks (52)

20.) Josh Robinson (2)
21.) Sylvain Yondjouen (35)
22.) Kenny Bennett (5)
23.) Makius Scott (44)
24.) Noah Collins (19)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Donate Smith played three snaps all game. This was fewer than anyone on Tech’s offense or defense, except Josh Robinson who played two snaps.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
H Hall was averaging 7+ypc you don’t sub that guy, you ride him to a win.

Also CBK said they liked what Hall brings in game prep that week. May likely see a different distribution against Duke’s front 7

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Through 5 games, Jordan Williams has the lowest overall grade of any Tech OL (other than Paul Tchio, who’s only played 41 snaps). Jordan Williams has played more offensive snaps than anyone other than Jeff Sims.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Also CBK said they liked what Hall brings in game prep that week. May likely see a different distribution against Duke’s front 7
Dylan McDuffie ran six routes out of the backfield against Pitt. Dontae was run blocking in two of his three snaps, and never ran a route vs. Pitt.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Through five games, LaMiles Brooks is the #1 graded player on defense with an 81.4 grade. It’s not even close, as D’Quan Douse is #2 with a 73.7 overall grade.

For those curious, Charlie Thomas is 5th at 72.5 (he had pretty below average grades against WCU, Ole Miss, and UCF).

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims was the highest graded player on offense in Week 4, and the lowest graded player on offense in Week 5.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Through 5 games, Jordan Williams has the lowest overall grade of any Tech OL (other than Paul Tchio, who’s only played 41 snaps). Jordan Williams has played more offensive snaps than anyone other than Jeff Sims.
So far this season, Jeff Sims’ overall passing grade is 94th out of 95 FBS QBs who qualified for the minimum number of dropbacks.
Wow. I know the competition has probably been one of the tougher draws in the country through 5 but this cannot happen if we want to go to a bowl. Luckily his legs have come through at times, but it doesn’t surprise me that his most experienced blocker is one of the lower rated players. Sure would have been nice to get Gibson some snaps against Ole Miss

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I said it earlier this season, Williams needs to move to the inside. His lateral quickness and agility for a tackle is below average. He gets beaten off the first step a LOT. Move him to the inside where a defender has less open space to move. He's got a lot of initial contact power, but if you're not quick enough to get your hands on a DL as an OT, you're f'd. Unfortunately, moving him isn't happening until the offseason because our OT options are very limited.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow

Well, Hall had an incredible end of the 4th quarter, rushing for 112 (with 25, 17, and 63 yard runs) in the last 9 minutes. Up until then he was mostly getting tackled around the line of scrimmage and averaging about 3 ypc.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Blackstrain must have been blocking like a madman. He didn't touch the ball.

The OL numbers are pretty much what you'd think watching their play, but interesting that Lay & Leftwich and others are riding the pine so much given some of the challenges there.

Not surprised by Sims. I hope the handwriting is not on the wall there as we seem to be reticent about yanking him. It's either the back ups are way weak, much weaker than any of us are guessing OR we think that Sims is mentally incapable of being pulled so if we go to a back up he's basically done period and that's too risky.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it earlier this season, Williams needs to move to the inside. His lateral quickness and agility for a tackle is below average. He gets beaten off the first step a LOT. Move him to the inside where a defender has less open space to move. He's got a lot of initial contact power, but if you're not quick enough to get your hands on a DL as an OT, you're f'd. Unfortunately, moving him isn't happening until the offseason because our OT options are very limited.
I made a similar comment in the post game thread. Particularly seeing Leftwich get live reps (albeit limited). Idk we haven’t tried moving Jordan inside and starting jakiah at tackle. Other than what is seen in practice or a lack thereof practice.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I want to add some more context to how well LaMiles Brooks is playing right now. He’s currently grading out as the #1 Safety in all of Power 5, out of 104 Safeties who qualify. He’s the 16th overall graded defender in Power 5 out of 356 defenders who qualify. He’s #2 overall in Safety coverage grade and graded out significantly higher than the #1 Safety in coverage grade in both run defense and tackling.

Brooks has given up 3 catches for 20 yards this season. Opposing QB’s passer rating (NFL score where 158.3 is perfect) is 45.8. He also hasn’t committed a penalty in two years (one on special teams as a freshman).

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
For the season, D’Quon Douse is our #2 overall graded defender and has played 183 snaps in five games. Makius Scott is our second-lowest graded defender and has played 193 snaps in five games (most of any GT interior DL).