Week 5 PFF Grades

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Our Week 5 team pass blocking grade (20.8) was the lowest since @ Duke in 2019 (13.7). The worst before that was against Pitt in 2017 (10.2).
This is why I am reluctant to be critical of Jeff. No quarterback can be effective without consistent blocking. Simms probably has his head on a swivel watching for the next headhunter let free by one of his linemen. The wonder is that he has not been critically injured...yet.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The good news is we really don't face another strong defense until the last game of the season.
If the offense is going to get going it should start this Saturday.
Here are the DFEI rankings for our opponents this season
Clemson #8
Ole Miss #24
UCF #27
Pitt #15
Duke #97
Virginia #77
FSU #53
VT #54
Miami #55
UNC #113
UGA #2

FWIW, GT's DFEI to this point is #86

For completeness here are the offensive FEI rankings to this point in the season, GT is #86 in this as well.
Clemson #23
Ole Miss #7
UCF #49
Pitt #67
Duke #51
UVA #88
FSU #30
VT #116
Miami #61
UNC #11
UGA #2

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well, Hall had an incredible end of the 4th quarter, rushing for 112 (with 25, 17, and 63 yard runs) in the last 9 minutes. Up until then he was mostly getting tackled around the line of scrimmage and averaging about 3 ypc.
... you are letting facts get in the way...

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
So far this season, Jeff Sims’ overall passing grade is 94th out of 95 FBS QBs who qualified for the minimum number of dropbacks.
I am tired of the "dual-threat" QBs that don't threaten enough with accurate passing. Sims can run well, but he's not a QB...at all. He's just a running back that likes to throw (not pass) the ball.

I hope the new coach goes hard after a REAL passing QB. If they can run some or alot, great, but it's a distant third priority, after passing and leadership.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am tired of the "dual-threat" QBs that don't threaten enough with accurate passing. Sims can run well, but he's not a QB...at all. He's just a running back that likes to throw (not pass) the ball.

I hope the new coach goes hard after a REAL passing QB. If they can run some or alot, great, but it's a distant third priority, after passing and leadership.

If you're going to complain about him not being a real QB then at least make a statement that makes some sense. Sims doesn't run like a running back. His build and running style would have him be a WR before he was ever thought about as a Rb.

But regardless if you knew what you were talking about you'd hope the new coach goes hard after a REAL pass blocking OL so whoever is our QB has time to actually go through progressions, read the defense and make an accurate throw.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If you're going to complain about him not being a real QB then at least make a statement that makes some sense. Sims doesn't run like a running back. His build and running style would have him be a WR before he was ever thought about as a Rb.

But regardless if you knew what you were talking about you'd hope the new coach goes hard after a REAL pass blocking OL so whoever is our QB has time to actually go through progressions, read the defense and make an accurate throw.
While I agree with the higher priority need is for an OL that can pass block. However, even when Sims has time, his eyes are always in the wrong place as he is going through his progressions, as he continuously makes poor reads. Even when he does happen to pick the right receiver, he makes extremely poor passes.