Week 4 Games of Interest

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, we just played 4 games in 19 days, capping it with Clemson on 5 days rest.

So this nugget from ESPN's Max Olson made me chuckle:
"Houston has a tricky start to its schedule with four games in 19 days. The No. 6 Coogs are taking care of business so far against Texas State, up 16-0 after one quarter, and must go right into UConn prep and practice on Sunday for a Thursday night game against the only team that beat UH in 2015. With that quick turnaround, tonight would be a good night for UH to build a big lead early and let the backups play most of the second half."

The prior two games were vs. Lamar and @Cincinnati.

For what it's worth, we just played 4 games in 19 days, capping it with Clemson on 5 days rest.

So this nugget from ESPN's Max Olson made me chuckle:
"Houston has a tricky start to its schedule with four games in 19 days. The No. 6 Coogs are taking care of business so far against Texas State, up 16-0 after one quarter, and must go right into UConn prep and practice on Sunday for a Thursday night game against the only team that beat UH in 2015. With that quick turnaround, tonight would be a good night for UH to build a big lead early and let the backups play most of the second half."

The prior two games were vs. Lamar and @Cincinnati.
Clemson was ranked number 5. No comparison to competition over those 19 days

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Crap. I think we needed pitt to win

We actually match up better against UNC than Pitt IMHO. I don't think UNC's D will be able to stop us and our DBs - as much as we ***** about them being soft - are light years better than what I saw from Pitt. Pitt is going to make it a LOS game

We actually match up better against UNC than Pitt IMHO. I don't think UNC's D will be able to stop us and our DBs - as much as we ***** about them being soft - are light years better than what I saw from Pitt. Pitt is going to make it a LOS game
We've just got to get our offense clicking again. Vandy was a good indicator of good things to come, but there's still no guarantee it will happen.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I feel the other way Pitt going to run I think we can stop them. unc is going to pass than pass and pass again if we don't get to the QB it could be a loong game for us.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
What a crazy ending to the LSWho/Awbarn game. LSWho scores with 0:00 on the clock. Replay overturned as in their opinion LSWhoo did not get the snap off before the clock expired. Now throw another curve into it. The play before LSWho was penalized for an illegal shift but the clock was NOT reset to the time remaining at the time of the snap so on the last play the clock showed 0:01. Question for those who know the rule book wouldn't the clock be set for the time showing prior to the play involving the illegal shift?

What a crazy ending to the LSWho/Awbarn game. LSWho scores with 0:00 on the clock. Replay overturned as in their opinion LSWhoo did not get the snap off before the clock expired. Now throw another curve into it. The play before LSWho was penalized for an illegal shift but the clock was NOT reset to the time remaining at the time of the snap so on the last play the clock showed 0:01. Question for those who know the rule book wouldn't the clock be set for the time showing prior to the play involving the illegal shift?
Is the clock reset for other penalties that nullify a play? I don't know

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC is currently 7-0 this weekend against OOC competition including 4-0 on the road. With L'ville handling its business so far it looks like it is going to go 8-0, 5-0 in true road games including 4 wins in games where they were underdogs - 3 of them 10+ underdogs.

That would be pretty remarkable. it would be interesting to see the last time a conference went 5-0 in true road games against OOC in one weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Perfect to see UGAg and ND lose to underdogs. How in the world Fluke could lose to Wake and NW and then beat ND. Any given day.

As for the end of the LSU game, yes I think the clock should have been reset if the play never happened due to an offensive penalty. But I don't think they can overturn it (again). To overturn, then LSU would have scored with time remaining on the clock so AUbie gets the ball again....... glad to see the SEC in a cluster f.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Found it

Rule 4-7

ARTICLE 1. ILLEGAL ACTS.

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of these acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)

(b) intentional grounding;

(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage;

(d) throwing a backward pass out of bounds;

(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a touchdown; or

(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.

Penalty: For Illegally Conserving Time: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team while time is in, officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff, in which case the game clock will start on the snap after the timeout. The defense always has the option to decline the 10- second runoff and have the yardage penalty enforced, but if the yardage penalty is declined, the 10-second runoff is also declined.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

What have you seen to make you think, at this point, our O is such a big threat?

WAIT - did Sewak get canned?

Found it

Rule 4-7

ARTICLE 1. ILLEGAL ACTS.

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of these acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)

(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a touchdown; or

Penalty: For Illegally Conserving Time: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team while time is in, officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff, in which case the game clock will start on the snap after the timeout. The defense always has the option to decline the 10- second runoff and have the yardage penalty enforced, but if the yardage penalty is declined, the 10-second runoff is also declined.
So you can't spike the ball within 1 minute of the end? I sure didn't know that

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Found it

Rule 4-7

ARTICLE 1. ILLEGAL ACTS.

Thanks for finding that. Is an illegal shift an act which "illegally conserves time"?

If so, then it would seem that LSU would get the 5 yard penalty (like they did for the foul) and 10 seconds would be run off the clock??? So there wouldn't be another play under that scenario either?