Week 10 #GTvsVT Media

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Holding a redshirt for any reason is a waste. If he is good, he will most likely be gone for that fifth year and if he is just OK, then who cares.
I kinda' believe that we should play him in all of the remaining games and get the most out of him. To think we can't get another QB ready to play in three years is silly.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
If Sims is hurt, I'd be good with it too. You should still be trying to win the game against UGA, starting Gibson is admitting you don't have a chance before the game even starts and saying gimme the L.
Maybe ICBK should take a page out of William Alexander's book and "rest" Sims until the ugag game? Heck, at this point, I'd do that with the defense since they will most likely play the majority of that game anyway.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Maybe but maybe not - the experience would be invaluable for next year's spring practice and 2023 season. He would no longer be a rookie.

To worry about his redshirt is to worry about the 2026 season. I can't even begin to think about 2026.

We aren't beating UGA with whoever we play at QB, so it'd be kinda silly to lose an entire year to play him in that 5th game even if it is tied to 2026.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
We aren't beating UGA with whoever we play at QB, so it'd be kinda silly to lose an entire year to play him in that 5th game even if it is tied to 2026.
I actually wouldn't play Pyron against the dwags - either Sims or Gibson. Let Pyron hold the clipboard for that one.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I actually wouldn't play Pyron against the dwags - either Sims or Gibson. Let Pyron hold the clipboard for that one.
i can understand that thinking, but if he is as good as we think the way college football is today, he wouldn't be here all 5 years. Now a days play each game and each year to win players come and go more than the coaches.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Should we just call up UGA and just forfeit then? Why risk injury to any of our players is we aren't going to try and win?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Should we just call up UGA and just forfeit then? Why risk injury to any of our players is we aren't going to try and win?

That’s fair, I’m just trying to look at that game with a realism view. I guess if Sims isn’t a go then you should play Pyron for best shot to win.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think there is any doubt that if Sims is healthy he is still the starting QB. It is just a matter of when he is healthy. His feet give you a dimension that Pyron doesn't provide right now.

As to this game, unless we have a bad TO game I feel like this is one we should pull out (close game, but i'm looking for a win).

TO Margin has been the one thing that has actually kept this program from looking awful this season.
That is the one area where Sims has been much better this year. Right now GT is tied for 7th in Turnovers Gained (18) and tied for 6th in Turnovers lost (6). That puts GT 3rd nationally in TO margin +12 - behind only USC (17 gained, 1 lost, +16) and Duke (20 gained, 6 lost, +14).

Last season GT was 81st in TO Margin (13 gained, 15 lost, -2).

GT and VT's OFEI and DFEI numbers are not very different. Their special teams have not been special either. Whoever plays the cleaner game likely wins.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is any doubt that if Sims is healthy he is still the starting QB. It is just a matter of when he is healthy. His feet give you a dimension that Pyron doesn't provide right now.

As to this game, unless we have a bad TO game I feel like this is one we should pull out (close game, but i'm looking for a win).

TO Margin has been the one thing that has actually kept this program from looking awful this season.
That is the one area where Sims has been much better this year. Right now GT is tied for 7th in Turnovers Gained (18) and tied for 6th in Turnovers lost (6). That puts GT 3rd nationally in TO margin +12 - behind only USC (17 gained, 1 lost, +16) and Duke (20 gained, 6 lost, +14).

Last season GT was 81st in TO Margin (13 gained, 15 lost, -2).

GT and VT's OFEI and DFEI numbers are not very different. Their special teams have not been special either. Whoever plays the cleaner game likely wins.
If Miami gifts us 8 (Eight) turnovers like they did Duke, then we will move to #1 Nationally.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
i can understand that thinking, but if he is as good as we think the way college football is today, he wouldn't be here all 5 years. Now a days play each game and each year to win players come and go more than the coaches.
I don’t understand this thinking. The vast majority of college football players don’t get drafted or drop out of school. The vast majority play all their years of eligibility at the school they initially signed with. Players do not come and go more than coaches. That is just a false statement based on a very few players who decide to transfer. Some of you watch ESPN and must believe every good QB gets drafted or something. That is not the case at all. There is no way Pyron burns his redshirt this year. None. He will be eligible to play in college football for 2023, 2024, 2025, and 2026. It will be up to our next coach to decide if he plays those years at GT or elsewhere.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand this thinking. The vast majority of college football players don’t get drafted or drop out of school. The vast majority play all their years of eligibility at the school they initially signed with. Players do not come and go more than coaches. That is just a false statement based on a very few players who decide to transfer. Some of you watch ESPN and must believe every good QB gets drafted or something. That is not the case at all. There is no way Pyron burns his redshirt this year. None. He will be eligible to play in college football for 2023, 2024, 2025, and 2026. It will be up to our next coach to decide if he plays those years at GT or elsewhere.
It's ok most don't understand your thinking. Look at any class (lets pick the 2018 class ) and tell me how many are still here

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It's ok most don't understand your thinking. Look at any class (lets pick the 2018 class ) and tell me how many are still here
There are clear examples on that list of people who are valuable as fifth year seniors who weren’t draft picks after four years. Thomas, Carter, Smith are the three that jump out immediately.

Not everyone is still here, but I think the marginal value of one more game of a Pyron type this year is lower than the potential value of a fifth year even discounting that value for likelihood of draft or transfer. Maybe in underrating likelihood of leaving for NFL early because of GTs past two decades of QB development woes, though. (Transferring out risk is something I hope a new staff can fix for the future)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are clear examples on that list of people who are valuable as fifth year seniors who weren’t draft picks after four years. Thomas, Carter, Smith are the three that jump out immediately.

Not everyone is still here, but I think the marginal value of one more game of a Pyron type this year is lower than the potential value of a fifth year even discounting that value for likelihood of draft or transfer. Maybe in underrating likelihood of leaving for NFL early because of GTs past two decades of QB development woes,
burning his red shirt for a lost season would be kind of a waste for us
Sewak burned Will Bryan s redshirt.
We were sluggish.
Happens if needed.

Imo, Sims will thrive w the competition.