Week 0 Line

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen a couple of games that are very intriguing to me and would love to gain the collective thoughts of others:

GT getting 13.5 from FSU. They are rebuilding, it will be the first game together for most of their starters. Understanding they will be more athletic than us is it only me that think that not only should we cover but that we have more than a puncher's chance to win outright? The money line will probably be close to +475. Love your thoughts.

PS Also love that DJU will be their starting QB

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have seen a couple of games that are very intriguing to me and would love to gain the collective thoughts of others:

GT getting 13.5 from FSU. They are rebuilding, it will be the first game together for most of their starters. Understanding they will be more athletic than us is it only me that think that not only should we cover but that we have more than a puncher's chance to win outright? The money line will probably be close to +475. Love your thoughts.

Take the points. Jump on it now, before the line goes down. Go big.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not too familiar with on line gambling , but I would take Tech straight up (the money line?) I have been consumed during the last two months with listening in on all of the FSU and Miami media podcasts. The FSU media has flat said that this year's team is not as good. Bud Elliott of Cover Three and the Noles Cast called this year a combo rebuilding and retooling? DJ can throw deep, but in their words - FSU will have a lot of three and outs. Their WR and TE rooms are below average, and I mean for the league. Question marks also on the OL. The Defensive Line and DBs are legit- LBs are average. If you watch their Spring game , the OL cannot give DJ any kind of pocket - the whole thing breaks down and DJ has to throw it awkwardly. He is also not exactly a great scrambler. FSU will try to run it- we just need to put them in third and five situations and we should be in business.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am not too familiar with on line gambling , but I would take Tech straight up (the money line?) I have been consumed during the last two months with listening in on all of the FSU and Miami media podcasts. The FSU media has flat said that this year's team is not as good. Bud Elliott of Cover Three and the Noles Cast called this year a combo rebuilding and retooling? DJ can throw deep, but in their words - FSU will have a lot of three and outs. Their WR and TE rooms are below average, and I mean for the league. Question marks also on the OL. The Defensive Line and DBs are legit- LBs are average. If you watch their Spring game , the OL cannot give DJ any kind of pocket - the whole thing breaks down and DJ has to throw it awkwardly. He is also not exactly a great scrambler. FSU will try to run it- we just need to put them in third and five situations and we should be in business.
The money line will be very lucrative. Tech has a good shot at winning this game straight up, IMO.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

My advice? post your question somewhere else besides a GT (or FSU) board. For obvious reasons. I find that we have several knowledgeable posters abour our team but little to none that really have a feel about other teams. I imagine it's the same on most other message boards, With that said, take GT straight up. Book it! ;)

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
My advice? post your question somewhere else besides a GT (or FSU) board. For obvious reasons. I find that we have several knowledgeable posters abour our team but little to none that really have a feel about other teams. I imagine it's the same on most other message boards, With that said, take GT straight up. Book it! ;)
Coach Norvell gives their media nearly complete access to their spring practices. Listening to their media covering every practice in detail provides about as much intel as an opposing fan base will ever get. While of course the FSU analysts are keeping what I would call a cautiously optimistic outlook, you can also pick up their concerns which are numerous. Their hope is that Coach Norvell can work his magic with their portal transfers and DJ will hit some long pass plays. They will count heavily on their run game, stout DL , excellent edge rushers and a couple of lock down corners. They have a transfer nickel back from Alabama that they are high on , but their starter from last year transferred out. The guy that left (Greedy Vance) had high quality ratings from Pro Football Focus and some analysts see this as a big loss. I think Buster can figure out how to get us 27-30 points. That should be enough given all the questions they have on offense. Plus, there maybe some surprises that Coach Santucci will throw at them that they are not anticipating. Their OC is suspended from coaching this game due to recruiting violations involving a potential Dawg transfer last year. There are no guarantees , but I believe this game is a dream scenario for Tech on a high profile stage playing a team that comes in with a lot of hype.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
How will they be more athletic?

I agree that several GT teams in the past weren't the most athletic, but this angle is WAY overplayed with teams like FSU and UGA. What can be said is they have athletic guys who are bigger than our athletic guys, but I have a hard time believing they are “more” athletic than Jamaal Haynes, or Singleton, or King, or any of our guys. We are a very athletic team on both sides. TE is definitely a position of weakness for us but luckily Faulkner doesn’t try to force them. If we ever get a real athletic TE, with hands, then Faulkner will use him often.

My belief is Faulkner, towards the end of last season and bowl game, realized we have a true star with Jamaal and we will be a run first team and then it’s up to King to make them pay for cheating up. I like where we are.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Except…there’s our defense. Last year we simply couldn’t stop other teams when it mattered.

We all HOPE our defense is better, but our additions on that side really have only offset some really good athletes who chose to leave. New coaches will HOPEFULLY help, but…you really need the Jimmies and Joes more on D than on O where schemes can leverage your strengths.

I love that we are full of hope. I love that we are optimistic. I will just note that major services like ESPN don’t share those hopes. The folks in Vegas are pretty good at setting lines. They do that for a living. They think we’ll lose too.

It is what it is.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Except…there’s our defense. Last year we simply couldn’t stop other teams when it mattered.

We all HOPE our defense is better, but our additions on that side really have only offset some really good athletes who chose to leave. New coaches will HOPEFULLY help, but…you really need the Jimmies and Joes more on D than on O where schemes can leverage your strengths.

I love that we are full of hope. I love that we are optimistic. I will just note that major services like ESPN don’t share those hopes. The folks in Vegas are pretty good at setting lines. They do that for a living. They think we’ll lose too.

It is what it is.
You’re not entirely wrong.

But, and I’m no expert on betting, won’t the Vegas odds change depending on how the betting goes. My understanding is that the point of Vegas odds is to make money not predict results of a game with exact precision.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You’re not entirely wrong.

But, and I’m no expert on betting, won’t the Vegas odds change depending on how the betting goes. My understanding is that the point of Vegas odds is to make money not predict results of a game with exact precision.
Yes, you are correct. That is how the Vegas odds work. ESPN however does straight predictions, and they match the Vegas odds. It might just be the left-over from last season (after all, none of us know how good any team will be at this stage), or it may be that they are of the opinion our D isn't that much better. We'll all see in late August. Heck, ESPN says you should bet BIG on Georgia State getting the points the following week in our home opener against us. They give Georgia State a better chance of beating us than they give us of beating FSU.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At end of last year we used BRIX field goals and run game . That made uga appear close while they ran 10 yard up the middle play at will = no need to pass.

Hope we play to win and not beat the line.
In 4th quarter of game 1 against good fsu team , we can't count on defense to win game. I would rather go down w agressive ( 2nd Quarter Louisville) type play calling FOR the whole game.

THE QUESTION "CAN BUSTER PROGRESS THE OFFENSE" STARTS GETTING ANSWERED IN IRELAND. Expecting the defense to hold fsu in 4th quarter will tell us the answer is "Buster's offense not ready for good defenses as they seem to have adjusted" i think we will be up 7 at start 4th, they score 14 and we score 10, with Brix hitting a long fg. (No , i never bet)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Weak O-line? I personally think ours is pretty strong.
I see it in between. Still a WIP. CBF will have to call a game that maximizes their strengths. F$U will bring a stout rushing D. I think we have the diversity of weapons to move the ball but can we put it in the EZ? That’s the question to me. We will give up points on D.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The thing about defense is this - outside of the elite handful of teams like UGA, Bama, Mich, and a few others, EVERYONE struggles on defense. Yes, ours has been weak and has difficulty stopping anyone. But, 90% of teams are in the exact same position. The rules of the game combined with the offensive minds of this era have made defenses have a tough life. This isn’t a GT issue it’s an overall sport issue because they tweak rules to promote scoring. You simply can’t compare our defensive performance of today to years of the past. Remember that famous GT play where Marco crushed Shawn Moore and refused to grab his hand? That would be a 15 yard penalty today. Ken Swilling’s spearing of anyone over the middle would get him kicked out of a lot of games today.

GT is set pretty well compared to many of our competitors this season because the name of the game is offense. They won’t stop us and we won’t stop them. So, which QB, OLine, RB, and kicker do you trust more? Ours or theirs? I’d like to think every rep last year was just practice for this season. We have a lot of starters back and then add a few weapons like Blackburn and hopefully a worthwhile TE and we will be hard to stop. The question is, will FSU have a cohesive offensive unit who can out score a team returning everyone? We’ll see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The thing about defense is this - outside of the elite handful of teams like UGA, Bama, Mich, and a few others, EVERYONE struggles on defense. Yes, ours has been weak and has difficulty stopping anyone. But, 90% of teams are in the exact same position. The rules of the game combined with the offensive minds of this era have made defenses have a tough life. This isn’t a GT issue it’s an overall sport issue because they tweak rules to promote scoring. You simply can’t compare our defensive performance of today to years of the past. Remember that famous GT play where Marco crushed Shawn Moore and refused to grab his hand? That would be a 15 yard penalty today. Ken Swilling’s spearing of anyone over the middle would get him kicked out of a lot of games today.

GT is set pretty well compared to many of our competitors this season because the name of the game is offense. They won’t stop us and we won’t stop them. So, which QB, OLine, RB, and kicker do you trust more? Ours or theirs? I’d like to think every rep last year was just practice for this season. We have a lot of starters back and then add a few weapons like Blackburn and hopefully a worthwhile TE and we will be hard to stop. The question is, will FSU have a cohesive offensive unit who can out score a team returning everyone? We’ll see.
Some of the greatest games in college football history were defensive struggles. As much as I love offensive explosions I miss the occasional defensive masterpieces.

Oh well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Who would know more about our respective teams than FSU and GT fans and insiders?