Wear WHITE.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
You can get a white Hanes t-shirt at Wal-Mart for less than $3. That's better than wearing a GT branded yellow shirt. Make us pop on screen and to the players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Only got a yellow shirt with white letters.. spent over half my pay check on taking my little bro to the game. Don't get on me to hard

There will probably be free white shakers at the gates...those will do :)

You have the best name / handle on the board!!
Welcome aboard with a great early post. Please keep sharing tour sense of humor.

Where is good old "get naked" tho? Need to hear from him/her too

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
While I appreciate the efforts of @Blumpkin Souffle and @Yomanser to raise the grammatical awareness of GTSwarm, I'm sure that there are many in this forum who believe that they are treading on my turf as the one who always know best about all things (isn't that right @forensicbuzz).

Well, I think the op's grammar is fine. The protasis--If I see anyone not in white tonight--evokes conceptualization of an implicit "I-thou" relationship in which the "I" sees the "anyone." Consequently, the apodosis can legitimately refer to that "anyone" by using the generic "you." From the perspective of the speaker, the act of seeing the "anyone" (in protasis) turns that "anyone" into a "you" (in apodosis). Grammar isn't math and cannot be abstracted fully from its conceptual context. We see this in the need for "they" to refer to a singular indefinite when English speakers no longer hear "he" in this way.

In other words, yall can't abstract the grammar question from the concrete situation of the pitiable fool who shows up at BDS not in white.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
While I appreciate the efforts of @Blumpkin Souffle and @Yomanser to raise the grammatical awareness of GTSwarm, I'm sure that there are many in this forum who believe that they are treading on my turf as the one who always know best about all things (isn't that right @forensicbuzz).

Well, I think the op's grammar is fine. The protasis--If I see anyone not in white tonight--evokes conceptualization of an implicit "I-thou" relationship in which the "I" sees the "anyone." Consequently, the apodosis can legitimately refer to that "anyone" by using the generic "you." From the perspective of the speaker, the act of seeing the "anyone" (in protasis) turns that "anyone" into a "you" (in apodosis). Grammar isn't math and cannot be abstracted fully from its conceptual context. We see this in the need for "they" to refer to a singular indefinite when English speakers no longer hear "he" in this way.

In other words, yall can't abstract the grammar question from the concrete situation of the pitiable fool who shows up at BDS not in white.

Your post reminds me of my Shakespeare readings in school. I understood (most of) the individual words, but I haven't the foggiest clue what you just said.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I couldn't find any of my white shirts at home, so I had to the favorite team t and trek across campus to the book store. I was reminded multiple times it was a whiteout.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
3. (used with a singular indefinite pronoun or singular noun antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she):
Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote. A person may apply only if they are over 21. They have been an actor since childhood.​
We must fight this nonsense.​

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your post reminds me of my Shakespeare readings in school. I understood (most of) the individual words, but I haven't the foggiest clue what you just said.

I said the grammar in the first post was fine because of cognitive linguistics.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone is a singular pronoun. While it is indefinite, it is a singular indefinite pronoun, and "they" contradicts subject agreement. It would be like saying "One of the girls gave up their seat", which is grammatically incorrect, as it should be "One of the girls gave up her seat." "You" is also indefinite, but it could refer to a singular person or a plural group of people; in this case, it is being used as a singular pronoun. Therefore, "you" is correct, as is "he" and "she" if you is replaced with either of those, but "they" is incorrect. Next time you try to correct someone's grammar, make sure you actually know what you're talking about
200w.gif