We would be a Top 25 team this year…

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Collins took over a program a small OL, no tight ends, WR who were coached to block and not run precise patterns, a defense that was 103rd in FBS in opponent yards per attempt, and lost 8 starters plus DL Adams. With a December signing date, he did not have a full recruiting year his first year, and the better players sign in December. So he was supposed to completely change the offense with players that weren't recruited for it, build a defense from players that the last staff could not build a decent defense from, and immediately turn things around? And then there is the budget for assistants the last three years......

Put the whining aside and tell us who could have done better with those constraints. And remember the coaching budget.

Most posters only know that Tech won 3 games last year, with no idea of the injuries that the team had at critical positions like QB and OL. People whine....with no facts to back it up, but have an opinion that "Collins is a bad coach." That "bad coach" has been nominated for the Broyles award 3 times, so he must know something. I don't know if he is the right head coach or not, but he deserves a chance to get players in here that are Jrs and Srs and fit his system, and he needs to be given a budget that pays the DC more than in the $400K range. One more thing most fans don't know: DC's typically make more than OC's.

2018 OL

LT 73 ZACH QUINNEY 6-6 276 r-Fr.

LG 75 PARKER BRAUN 6-3 280 Jr.

C 53 JAHAZIEL LEE 6-2 287 Jr.

RG 60 BRAD MORGAN 6-4 288 r-Jr.

RT 70 WILL BRYAN 6-4 285 Sr.

2018 Defensive front 7. Note the Srs. That's what Collins didn't inherit, and had to start over.

DE 99 DESMOND BRANCH 6-3 270 r-Sr.

NT 54 KYLE-CERGE HENDERSON 6-1 298 Sr.

DE 94 ANREE SAINT-AMOUR 6-3 245 Sr.

JACK 9 VICTOR ALEXANDER 5-10 237 Sr.

ILB 51 BRANT MITCHELL 6-2 233 Sr.

ILB 32 DAVID CURRY 6-2 217 r-Jr.

STGR 23 JALEN JOHNSON 6-3 215 r-Sr.

It's easy to understand why Johnson retired when he did. What I question about Collins is this: Why did he want this job?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Most posters only know that Tech won 3 games last year, with no idea of the injuries that the team had at critical positions like QB and OL. People whine....with no facts to back it up, but have an opinion that "Collins is a bad coach." That "bad coach" has been nominated for the Broyles award 3 times, so he must know something. I don't know if he is the right head coach or not, but he deserves a chance to get players in here that are Jrs and Srs and fit his system, and he needs to be given a budget that pays the DC more than in the $400K range. One more thing most fans don't know: DC's typically make more than OC's.

To be completely fair, I have been a solid CGC supporter on this site. While he was not the coach I wanted, he is our coach and I have been determined to give him a fair shot, which I have repeatedly said was at least 4 years to show significant progress.

That being said, I am completely with you on the Offensive rebuild and completely agree with the OL being the biggest part of that rebuild. What I and many other fair minded fans are thoroughly confused by and immensely disappointed in is the defensive regression from the CPJ era. I just can't see how a guy who has three Broyles awards nominations and made his name as a defensive coach has allowed GT to actually get worse on defense.

My hope is that his renewed focus on his area of strength this year is what allows us to surprise a few teams and win those extra few games we need to go bowling.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I apologize for my previous flippant response. Maybe my memory is incorrect but it seemed like we avoided the TO like the plague starting in 2019. I can’t remember the last time the QB took a snap under center. My problem with that is why don’t you run at least some of the offense those guys were recruited for until you get your own guys in place. I think I remember people cheering like we had just invented fire when the QB took the snap in the shotgun at the 2019 Spring game. FYI, I was a big fan of CPJ but I also knew/know why it was time for him and the TO to go so I was looking forward to the next chapter of Tech football. I sincerely hope CGC turns things around because I want to see our guys win.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Collins took over a program a small OL, no tight ends, WR who were coached to block and not run precise patterns, a defense that was 103rd in FBS in opponent yards per attempt, and lost 8 starters plus DL Adams. With a December signing date, he did not have a full recruiting year his first year, and the better players sign in December. So he was supposed to completely change the offense with players that weren't recruited for it, build a defense from players that the last staff could not build a decent defense from, and immediately turn things around? And then there is the budget for assistants the last three years......

Put the whining aside and tell us who could have done better with those constraints. And remember the coaching budget.

2018 OL

2018 Defensive front 7. Note the Srs. That's what Collins didn't inherit, and had to start over.

It's easy to understand why Johnson retired when he did. What I question about Collins is this: Why did he want this job?
That horse was beat to death about 3 lifetimes ago.

You're still wrong though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I apologize for my previous flippant response. Maybe my memory is incorrect but it seemed like we avoided the TO like the plague starting in 2019. I can’t remember the last time the QB took a snap under center. My problem with that is why don’t you run at least some of the offense those guys were recruited for until you get your own guys in place. I think I remember people cheering like we had just invented fire when the QB took the snap in the shotgun at the 2019 Spring game. FYI, I was a big fan of CPJ but I also knew/know why it was time for him and the TO to go so I was looking forward to the next chapter of Tech football. I sincerely hope CGC turns things around because I want to see our guys win.

This, IMO, is a fair response. There is some argument to be made from your standpoint. We could maybe have won 1-2 extra games per year over the last three years with that strategy..
With all the emphasis moving towards recruiting, I can understand why we went this route. In the end, hindsight is always 20/20 and we can play what ifs for eternity. Let's just hope CGC gets it turned around this year

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here's the accuracy of 2021 J Howell projections. How accurate this is (R2=.45) depends on your expectation.

I think it's as good as can be reasonably expected given the turnover of players and coaches and other external factors from one season to the next. Is it highly reliable? No.

View attachment 12956

Later I'll do the range of expectations from our 2022 pre-season rankings and the range last year in our cohort.
See, now that's what I like about this board. You don't see too many scattergrams with regression analysis on most football boards. It would be interesting to see where else, actually.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC gave up 85 points to 2 cupcakes, VT lost to ODU, we will see if FSU is legit tonight, Miami beat a cupcake. Our real SOS will be more evident in a couple weeks.
App State is actually a really good program. They finished 38th in FEI last season, going 10-4 (FWIW, FL was 36 and BYU 37) and was a 2-pt fav at home over UNC.
That doesn't change the fact that UNC's D is once again crap - but its offense is seriously good.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know I posted the 2019 NCSU game highlights here awhile ago. If Graham had remained healthy, I think we would have run an O more like what we had in the past. In that game Graham had 112 yards rushing on 14 carries and Mason 141 on 22. And we won against a favored team for the first time that year. I don't blame Collins (much) for not letting our guys be themselves when the QB who could do that was hurt and where the OL couldn't put the same 5 guys on the field from week to week. Still, we should have done more to try. I think our coaches were so eager to break the TO mold that they forgot that their main job was to win. And that meant putting the troops they had into schemes that had a chance of paying off. Instead we spent the whole season - and those that immediately followed - trying to put square pegs into round holes. By year 3 that shouldn't have been a problem. The losing record that year leads me to believe that the reason why it wasn't done sooner because the staff didn't know how to do it.

Let's hope that doesn't show up tomorrow.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

2018 OL

CGC and staff have had a significantly larger salary budget to work with than CPJ ever got. Perhaps he should take a pay cut to hire some better assistants, seeing as he isn't contributing anything of value himself anyway.

You say "turn things around", but he hasn't turned anything around in 3 years. He took a 7 win team and lowered it to a consistently 3 win team. We have been worse in nearly ever facet of the game.

As far as not being able to build a defense from the last staff's players, he hasn't even matched what the last staff did. Geoff is a self-appointed defensive guru, which as far as I know was not a moniker ever applied to anyone associated with the previous coaching staff, and there was no "monumental transition" required on that side of the ball, of course we would expect him to be able to improve the defense.

Who else could have done better the last three years with those constraints? You serious bub? CGC has taken GT to numerous historic lows, he's been rated as basically the worst returning P5 HC in the country and is arguably worse than Bill Lewis on the list of Tech HCs. He was not P5 material.

Do you really think most posters on this board are only aware of us having 3 wins last year and not aware that Sims was injured? You honestly believe that?

No facts to back up why people think CGC is a bad coach? Have YOU been watching us play for the past 3 years? Perhaps not, which would explain why you think no one else was watching either.

Why did he want this job? Because it was a big step up in pay and his agent negotiated him a great deal. He was set for life regardless of whether he won a single game or not.

JacketFan137

Banned
App State is actually a really good program. They finished 38th in FEI last season, going 10-4 (FWIW, FL was 36 and BYU 37) and was a 2-pt fav at home over UNC.
That doesn't change the fact that UNC's D is once again crap - but its offense is seriously good.
northern illinois won their conference and won 9 games last year and people talk about that loss like we lost to the school for the blind. obviously we should have won that game but don’t expect anyone to give anybody credit for beating a non p5 school here. i think that’s outside of the scope for most users on here

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC and staff have had a significantly larger salary budget to work with than CPJ ever got. Perhaps he should take a pay cut to hire some better assistants, seeing as he isn't contributing anything of value himself anyway.

You say "turn things around", but he hasn't turned anything around in 3 years. He took a 7 win team and lowered it to a consistently 3 win team. We have been worse in nearly ever facet of the game.

As far as not being able to build a defense from the last staff's players, he hasn't even matched what the last staff did. Geoff is a self-appointed defensive guru, which as far as I know was not a moniker ever applied to anyone associated with the previous coaching staff, and there was no "monumental transition" required on that side of the ball, of course we would expect him to be able to improve the defense.

Who else could have done better the last three years with those constraints? You serious bub? CGC has taken GT to numerous historic lows, he's been rated as basically the worst returning P5 HC in the country and is arguably worse than Bill Lewis on the list of Tech HCs. He was not P5 material.

Do you really think most posters on this board are only aware of us having 3 wins last year and not aware that Sims was injured? You honestly believe that?

No facts to back up why people think CGC is a bad coach? Have YOU been watching us play for the past 3 years? Perhaps not, which would explain why you think no one else was watching either.

Why did he want this job? Because it was a big step up in pay and his agent negotiated him a great deal. He was set for life regardless of whether he won a single game or not.

it's almost like you didn't even read the post that you responded to

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
See, now that's what I like about this board. You don't see too many scattergrams with regression analysis on most football boards. It would be interesting to see where else, actually.

Anyway, rainy day here in Canada, looking forward to driving home tomorrow after a late night. Here is another look of last year's data of pre-season J Howell rankings and post season numerical ranking.

Bottom line, starting at a Pre-Season Power Ranking of .408, the regression average is about 80th and teams near that ranged from20th to 120th last year. Not really reliable but that's why we play the games. Looking at the teams which finished in the top 20, the minimum pre-season Power Ranking was about .46. So anything can happen.

BTW, I went back to 2019 to see if there was better correlation since 2020 COVID messed stuff up more than usual. As expected, 2019 was a bit better (R2) but not that much different.

1662403201245.png

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Here's the accuracy of 2021 J Howell projections. How accurate this is (R2=.45) depends on your expectation.

I think it's as good as can be reasonably expected given the turnover of players and coaches and other external factors from one season to the next. Is it highly reliable? No.

View attachment 12956

Later I'll do the range of expectations from our 2022 pre-season rankings and the range last year in our
Good stuff Nuke.

FSU could be pretty good this year. They can get after the opponent's QB and their QB is good at extending plays and making good things happen.

But who knows as of yet how consistent the Noles can be.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan

2018 OL

I'm not sure how big a deal being "nominated for the Broyles' Award is given they have 15 simifinalist. If he were a finalist or semifinalist that would be noteworthy.