We would be a Top 25 team this year…

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Jahmyr Gibbs is arguably one of the best running backs in the country and a NFL player. Jordan Domineck is a starting SEC lineman and is a playmaker on the d-line. Based on what I’ve seen from the ACC these past few days, GT has a really good chance to compete this year, and if we had some absolute studs on our team (like JG and JD), then I feel like this could of been the turning of the corner this year. Possible 8+ bowl team. Wondering what you guys think?

Edit: If we won more games (even 5) I feel like they might’ve stayed but NIL talks.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It is early yet.
There will be some teams that look vulnerable now that improve every week and become very good by years end(ND last year).
There will be teams that look great now but on reassessment their competition was overrated(ucla last year).

I think losing guys like Domineck and Ivey are a bigger deal for the team’s success than Gibbs. Gibbs is a great RB but we aren’t very good or deep at DE and those guys were veteran players that could play a lot of snaps for us.

I will say that I like the offensive staff changes and the talent infusion at WR and TE, and the players we added at RB.
On defense, I think we have some holes and a lack of depth that may limit our effectiveness. But we shall see.

I’m glad we get to finally see the jackets play again. Hope springs eternal.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I weep over JG. If he had stayed, he would be remembered and lauded For being something special that tipped the scales.

with his move, he will be just another face in an endless procession of forgettable backs Where people can’t quite recall his name.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Jahmyr Gibbs is arguably one of the best running backs in the country and a NFL player. Jordan Domineck is a starting SEC lineman and is a playmaker on the d-line. Based on what I’ve seen from the ACC these past few days, GT has a really good chance to compete this year, and if we had some absolute studs on our team (like JG and JD), then I feel like this could of been the turning of the corner this year. Possible 8+ bowl team. Wondering what you guys think?

Edit: If we won more games (even 5) I feel like they might’ve stayed but NIL talks.
Wondering what we guys think? Well, I know writing "this could of been" is going to make your third grade english teacher cry.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sure he means how he’ll be remembered here at GT. I have zero fond memories of him because we won like twice with him. I don’t remember anything else
Using that logic then we'll have zero fond memories of ANY of our players since The Current Guy arrived after 2018. You're creating quite a void in our student-athletes' legacy here on the Flats.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Using that logic then we'll have zero fond memories of ANY of our players since The Current Guy arrived after 2018. You're creating quite a void in our student-athletes' legacy here on the Flats.

You really took that personally, huh? Great players are remembered for being a part of great moments. This is sports 101. It’s nothing personal. He’s a great player and will probably have a very good career at the next level. From a strictly GT fan perspective though, I can’t say he had any lasting impression. No one remembers an 80 yard touchdown in a game you lose by twenty points. It is what it is.

And to answer your question, I mean…yes and? I can’t recall an overly fond moment with this program since we beat UVA in 2018 to become bowl eligible. In ten years, I think it’s safe to say that I won’t remember anything aside from a general negative experience of losing all the time from the past few seasons even though I watched every game and was at Bobby Dodd for almost every home game. Quite frankly, the fact that there still seems to be quite a few fans with an “aw shucks” mindset after these last few years instead of a “this is miserable. What are we doing” mindset is probably all the proof you need that the boosters and fans left aren’t going to save this program without something drastic.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You guys must have been pathetic when yall were dating. When you break up, its over. Move on. Don't keep slow rolling by her house. If they aren't wearing the white and gold (and navy) I don't care about them. I dont have ill will towards them, I simply care about the guys who are here. The "what if" game is the dumbest game to play because there is no way of winning it.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Fact is on our offensive line not many of our guys have played AND they are young as unit. Jordan Williams is the only real proven starter returning. Gotta hope for emergence bigtime with young unproven OL...especially vs expected strength of schedule.

OL is main reason IMO we are picked to finish only above Duke in Coastal. Combined returning starts on OL is single best predictor of how a season will go.

Best hope is D is actually good, our strength of schedule turns out to be not as bad as expected, multiple OL emerge, Chip is a miracle worker, and we get unusual luck with turnovers, bounces, penalties, etc. Will get ugly if we are mistake prone.

2023 I see us running out a more veteran, older offensive line but under a new coach (if they dont all transfer which you have to figure many will with coaching change). Collins should have focused on D from the start. Do what you are known for. How long would CPJ have lasted focusing on defense?

Maybe if Long is the new coach and some staff stay we won't have a mass exodus.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he is already being mentioned in the favorites list for Heisman nationally., especially behind the bammer offensive line.
I asked this question in the Gibbs thread on the other board and will ask it again here in response to this post: did anyone see good run blocking from Bama’s line? I watched some early and flipped around a lot. I was watching specifically to see how Gibbs would do with their line. I didn’t see holes opening and in fact I saw a lot of contact in the backfield. Young piled up yards when they spread things out and maybe blocking got cleaned up later for backs, but I didn’t see their OL moving Utah St around like I thought they would (or should).

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're just looking at players, the same could've been said of last year. Outside of GA and ND, there wasn't a single game our players didn't have the ability to win- we were in spitting distance of Clemson on the road. But the coaching was terrible. Our team was consistently less than the sum of the parts. Has been every year of CGC's tenure. I haven't seen anything (yet) to think this year will be any different.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Well GT33, why does ESPN give us the 4th hardest SOS in the country then if our conference sucks so bad?

We have very tough OOC schedule (at #3 UGA, #21 Ole Miss, at UCF (not ranked but getting votes)). In conference we play three more ranked teams....#4 Clemson, division rivals #16 Miami (H) and @ #17 Pitt. We are on the road vs UNC and FSU who have recruited well and are seen in the 30-50 range/getting votes. VT I see as about equal to us and they are on the road.

At home we get UVA (a 30-50 type team with a very good QB), Duke, and WCU.

If we had anything resembling a proven offensive line I'd be a lot more optimistic. BTW ALL our opponents won their opening games except VT who was better statistically but beat themselves with 5 TOs. FSU plays LSU tonight for their game 2.

Last edited:

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
If anything, the games so far this year have shown just how sideways things can go in week 1. I am going to hold off on being tok optimistic until I see our results on the field. VT, NC State, and UNC all were expecting to win their games easily and those were teams with a more recent track record of success than ours

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Fact is on our offensive line not many of our guys have played AND they are young as unit. Jordan Williams is the only real proven starter returning. Gotta hope for emergence bigtime with young unproven OL...especially vs expected strength of schedule.

OL is main reason IMO we are picked to finish only above Duke in Coastal. Combined returning starts on OL is single best predictor of how a season will go.

Best hope is D is actually good, our strength of schedule turns out to be not as bad as expected, multiple OL emerge, Chip is a miracle worker, and we get unusual luck with turnovers, bounces, penalties, etc. Will get ugly if we are mistake prone.

2023 I see us running out a more veteran, older offensive line but under a new coach (if they dont all transfer which you have to figure many will with coaching change). Collins should have focused on D from the start. Do what you are known for. How long would CPJ have lasted focusing on defense?

Maybe if Long is the new coach and some staff stay we won't have a mass exodus.
Frankly not worried about a mass exodus.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Well, why does ESPN give us the 4th hardest SOS in the country then if our conferences sucks so bad?

Very tough OOC schedule (#3 UGA, Ole Miss, on road vs UCF). n conference we play #4 Clemson, and ranked division rivals Miami (H) and @Pitt. On the road vs UNC, VT. UVA, Duke and WCU at home