We won. Not the best win though.

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Baseball' started by Mitch Matthews, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mitch Matthews

Mitch Matthews Jolly Good Fellow

Thoughts? Incredibly young team, didn't look as good as I expected, but who knows, maybe a great season lies ahead, as Paul Johnson would say, 6 out scored 5!

John and bat_082994 like this.
  2. bat_082994

bat_082994 Helluva Engineer

It was nice to see some of the freshmen contribute. They've got a bright future

Mitch Matthews likes this.
  3. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I'm looking forward to baseball on WREK again this year. Such a slow game that it is perfect as background when doing other things.

Plus BeesBall is our best major varsity sport over the last twenty years by far.

A win is a win. How was the weather? Made it up to 60+ in Virginia today.

4. Mitch Matthews

I wasn't there.... I have no idea how the weather was lol

5. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

Probably going to be a tough season...but glad to get the opening day win.

Mitch Matthews and bat_082994 like this.
  6. GTNavyNuke

bat_082994 likes this.
  7. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

I am very curious to see how this team does. I think we are transitioning to more pitching and less power, with the changes in college baseball the last few years that makes more sense to me then the former approach (which always got beaten in post-season by good pitching!).

Not sure we have enough pitching just yet, but we have some freshman pitchers who should be interesting to watch to see if they develop.

8. GTNavyNuke

I think Danny Hall trys to get the best pitchers and hitter/fielders every year. We agree that our pitching should be our strong suit this year, but we would probably be a ACC contender / top 20 with the last couple years hitting. {It is what it is.}

Here's this year's media guide that I'll read at some point during a game: {Thanks to beesball.com who has great tweets & links.} http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...3-14/misc_non_event/2014baseballguidefull.pdf

It will be fun to watch because we are usually relevant in baseball and only a couple of breaks away from good things -- like the 2012 ACC Championship!

9. Mitch Matthews

10. bat_082994

This is totally off topic, but are you same Mitch Matthews that got the trivia question right during the radio broadcast of the game this afternoon?

11. GTNavyNuke

You were right on about going to pitching in a way I didn't realize. We certainly have enough pitchers and it will be interesting to see how they develop.
    "There are 20 players on the 34-man roster listed as pitchers first. It’s five more than in 2013 and eight more than in 2012 and, coach Danny Hall said, “more pitchers than we’ve ever had.”

This is perhaps as notable a facet of the roster as there is. After the 2012 season, Hall let go of pitching coach Tom Kinkelaar – Hall’s college roommate – and replaced him with Jason Howell, part of a new direction and emphasis on pitching." http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/15/8-things-to-know-about-tech-baseball/

12. GTNavyNuke

BTW, yesterday's embarrassing loss to Radford was a total power failure with only 2 hits. Fortunately, baseball has a lot of games for redemption.

13. Mitch Matthews

That was me!

14. Mitch Matthews

A very unpredictable game

15. bat_082994

Congratulations! My guess on that was way off. I went way back and said Mark Texiera XD

16. Mitch Matthews

Haha I just read aj Murray's bio. My first guess was nomar

17. bat_082994

Ah that's not a bad guess

18. Mitch Matthews

If you were listening, did I get the trivia question today right? Just started listening

19. bat_082994

I didn't get the chance today to listen

20. Mitch Matthews

Haha I got it right again though lol