We need to jump ship

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind leaving the ACC, but it doesn't seem practical or even feasible any time in the near future.
I think the only practical way to leave the ACC is through implosion. The ACC is against expanding the playoff unless and until broader issues in college football are addressed. There was discussion that the SEC, after it digests Texas and Oklahoma, will pursue Clemson and maybe FSU .... which would pretty much lead to the the collapse of the ACC. After which, it's every school for itself to find a new home.

Until then, asking if Tech could join another conference is like asking how many angels dance on the head of a pin.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think the only practical way to leave the ACC is through implosion. The ACC is against expanding the playoff unless and until broader issues in college football are addressed. There was discussion that the SEC, after it digests Texas and Oklahoma, will pursue Clemson and maybe FSU .... which would pretty much lead to the the collapse of the ACC. After which, it's every school for itself to find a new home.

Until then, asking if Tech could join another conference is like asking how many angels dance on the head of a pin.
yeah i can see the implosion happening as i imagine oklahoma and texas splitting from the big 12 is gonna start some kind of crazy power vacuum in college football and push us closer to the inevitable super conference

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
we ought to have more appreciation for the conference we're in.
Why should we? Time and time again they have screwed us every chance they get. We are like the old toy that the ACC has just laying around. Sure, we were once liked and appreciated, but then the ACC got new toys and threw us away. When they start actively showing that they truly care and appreciate that Georgia Tech is in the ACC, then I'll start having more appreciation for the ACC.

Maryland got the picture pretty quickly and they jumped ship to greener and richer pastures. It might be time for us to do the same.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why should we? Time and time again they have screwed us every chance they get. We are like the old toy that the ACC has just laying around. Sure, we were once liked and appreciated, but then the ACC got new toys and threw us away. When they start actively showing that they truly care and appreciate that Georgia Tech is in the ACC, then I'll start having more appreciation for the ACC.

Maryland got the picture pretty quickly and they jumped ship to greener and richer pastures. It might be time for us to do the same.
I don't think we have much control of what conference we're in at present. May as well just focus on getting better and winning it.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
I think these are very valid points as to why Georgia Tech would be better off in the B1G. I'm not sure why there is so much flak against us moving to the B1G. It didn't make much sense to me as to why we didn't jump on the chance when we had it a few years ago. We all crap on the ACC and their favoritism of Tobacco Road, not to mention how they screwed us every year under CPJ with scheduling. It's obvious that the ACC cares only about a select few schools and they get the loudest voice in the room. It's also obvious that we don't have one of those loud voices. As far as rivalries, our only real historic "rival" in the ACC is Clempson. Yes, I know VPISU is considered a rivalry game, but that came about through them joining the conference. We would generate a few rivals based off joining the B1G and Purdue seems like the most obvious choice to replace VPISU as a "conference rival". It only seems right to shaft the ACC as they really don't care for us being a member.
Name a Power 5 conference that doesn't care about a select few schools and they get the loudest voice in the room. Only the Big 12 comes close to that, and that's just because their loudest voices are leaving. Clemson is a rival because they are two hours away. What possible angle could we ever have to be a rival with anyone in the B1G? Rivalries have nothing to do with academics. We join the B1G we are just like West Virginia in the Big 12. No one cares about WVU except their extensive rabid fanbase, who hate that they are in the B12. At least they have a rabid fanbase. You think you feel unappreciated now? Join a conference where the closest school is 8 hours away. Think there is apathy now? Fans who want to drive to football games and come back the same day can currently go to Clemson, Florida State, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, UNC and even Virginia Tech, in a stretch, if they wanted. All this is moot, it ain't ever going to happen, it just befuddles me that people think going to the B1G would have any positives other than money and bragging that we're with the big boys now, look at us. Talk to Maryland fans over the age of 40 and see how much they are happy with their move.

Lastly, to Northeast Stinger, "They are a strong sports conference where most of the athletes can even read." I realize this was probably a joke, but I worked in admissions in a B1G school for almost 10 years. Don't kid yourself. Big time athletics looks the other way at most every college, the B1G is not different, although thanks to Jim Delany, they want you to believe that they are.

slugboy

Staff member

• "There was discussion that the SEC, after it digests Texas and Oklahoma, will pursue Clemson and maybe FSU" : It's 2022 now. Texas and Oklahoma are supposed to be in the SEC in 2025. So Clemson and FSU might be moving as early as 2025, or as late as 2030, possibly somewhere in between, if the SEC is still interested in either school by that point. If they were to announce earlier, they'd have to figure out the Grant of Rights issue, possibly with the SEC fronting them money until the ACC implodes or they get to 2035. I don't think the SEC would front them the money, but unless the ACC implodes, that's the only way the money works for them.
    Another key point is "not us".
  • ".... which would pretty much lead to the the collapse of the ACC. After which, it's every school for itself to find a new home" : It took a while for the Big East to fall apart, and we got the AAC out of it. With a contract, I think remaining members would keep things going for a while--a few years at least. Financially, hopping to another conference where we would make more money and handle the GOR issue with the ACC isn't an option. We can't really move pre-implosion, and post-implosion it's too late. Implosion is just one option; a slow revenue erosion is another.
  • "Until then, asking if Tech could join another conference is like asking how many angels dance on the head of a pin" : Also, the fact that people think that we'll be trading up when we're at the bottom of the conference financially is optimistic.

JacketFan137

Banned
Name a Power 5 conference that doesn't care about a select few schools and they get the loudest voice in the room. Only the Big 12 comes close to that, and that's just because their loudest voices are leaving. Clemson is a rival because they are two hours away. What possible angle could we ever have to be a rival with anyone in the B1G? Rivalries have nothing to do with academics. We join the B1G we are just like West Virginia in the Big 12. No one cares about WVU except their extensive rabid fanbase, who hate that they are in the B12. At least they have a rabid fanbase. You think you feel unappreciated now? Join a conference where the closest school is 8 hours away. Think there is apathy now? Fans who want to drive to football games and come back the same day can currently go to Clemson, Florida State, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, UNC and even Virginia Tech, in a stretch, if they wanted. All this is moot, it ain't ever going to happen, it just befuddles me that people think going to the B1G would have any positives other than money and bragging that we're with the big boys now, look at us. Talk to Maryland fans over the age of 40 and see how much they are happy with their move.

Lastly, to Northeast Stinger, "They are a strong sports conference where most of the athletes can even read." I realize this was probably a joke, but I worked in admissions in a B1G school for almost 10 years. Don't kid yourself. Big time athletics looks the other way at most every college, the B1G is not different, although thanks to Jim Delany, they want you to believe that they are.
when we left the SEC i’m sure there was people that said the same things. rivals can come and go. there was a time when bama and auburn were heated rivals and now no fans under the age of 50 really have strong feelings.

we shouldn’t be making moves financially just to satisfy the feelings of old fans when they aren’t gonna be here forever.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Nearest school would be Indiana, three states away:

1645116133425.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind leaving the ACC, but it doesn't seem practical or even feasible any time in the near future. And sometimes it seems like we're pining about what we had or what we coulda, shoulda done (and I do that, too), without appreciating what we have. When I look at our attendance, fan base, and position (surrounded by major powers) I think we should thank our lucky stars we're P-5 at all. Yeah, maybe we shoulda jumped to the Big Thingy but it's water over the dam and we ought to have more appreciation for the conference we're in.

Whatever we aspire to can only be achieved if we get ourselves better and build our fan base. That mean just figuring out a way to win in the conference we're in now.
I hate it when people are practical, realistic and down to earth.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind leaving the ACC, but it doesn't seem practical or even feasible any time in the near future. And sometimes it seems like we're pining about what we had or what we coulda, shoulda done (and I do that, too), without appreciating what we have. When I look at our attendance, fan base, and position (surrounded by major powers) I think we should thank our lucky stars we're P-5 at all. Yeah, maybe we shoulda jumped to the Big Thingy but it's water over the dam and we ought to have more appreciation for the conference we're in.

Whatever we aspire to can only be achieved if we get ourselves better and build our fan base. That mean just figuring out a way to win in the conference we're in now.
We will have no good options until we have teams that win. Period.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we have much control of what conference we're in at present. May as well just focus on getting better and winning it.
That really should be our main focus. Even if we could bolt to the Big 10 right now with no buyout, no grant of rights issues, and no reduced payout, we would still be in the position of being one of, if not the lowest revenue generating team in the Big 10. We will still be behind our competition, sometimes significantly behind. The situation revenue wise would probably be worse than we have now relative to our competition, we would just have more money in general. We need to work on the revenue outside of the TV contract if we want to be truly competitive.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

• "Clemson is a rival because they are two hours away. What possible angel could we ever have to be a rival with anyone in the B1G?": I don't know, but like I said earlier, VPISU is considered a rival and the only reason that came about was because of them joining the ACC. We left many traditional rivals behind when we left the SEC, just like we would leave some if we leave the ACC. Over time, there would be things that happened on or off the field that would sprout a rivalry.
  • "You think you feel unappreciated now? Join a conference where the closest school is 8 hours away. Think there is apathy now? Fans who want to drive to football games and come back the same day can currently go to Clemson, Florida State, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, UNC and even Virginia Tech, in a stretch, if they wanted.": UCF says hello. They are currently doing the same thing some of us want GT to do in joining a conference where the closest school is multiple states away. In fact, the closest drive for UCF is going to be West Virginia which is just under 13 hours away according to Google Maps. For us Indiana would be the closest at just over 9 hours. Not to mention we used to make the Maryland trip as they used to be part of the ACC. Sure, it would be more of a headache for those wanting to go to away games, but I also imagine we would see more revenue generated by B1G fans who have never been to our stadium, plus our fans getting energized seeing schools play us that they have never watched in person. Not to mention the added revenue sharing we would have from a larger payout.
Lastly, I don't think we would be a cellar dweller in the B1G as some might think. Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska have all been on the same type of level we have been on for the past few years. To some degree, Purdue is not even that far off from us in terms of competitiveness. Minnesota is in that next kind of tier also. Yes, some of these programs have had a great year or two here or there, but overall we are on par with them. Not to mention how the education aspect plays into this decision. We are comparable with some of the B1G universities with our education standards.

All in all, there was a reason our name was floated around as being offered by the B1G back in 2012. They see us as valuable and a fit in their conference where the ACC could care less about us. More money= quicker way to get the AA out of debt.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Yep, the most OBVIOUS example is how all these teams get BYES before playing us when PJ was here.