We need to jump ship

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When we tried to go back in the late 70s and early 80s, Alabama sponsored us because of Bear Bryant's friendship for Dodd. According to Dodd's autobiography and a book I read on Bear Bryant, the Bear managed to get most of the SEC to back Tech but UGA and Auburn said no and that was that.
uga and the Mississippi schools blocked us. MSU and Ole Miss both had grudges because Dodd wouldn't play them.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
SEC and Big 10 isn't really the end game. You really think the big schools are going to continue letting Vandy, Kentucky, Illinois, Purdue, etc. take an even share of football revenue when they don't really make an effort to compete? No. It will get contracted further. The best hope is there will be a division right below that, with its own championship, that we can compete in. We aren't going to be included in whatever elite super semi pro conference ends up getting created.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
SEC and Big 10 isn't really the end game. You really think the big schools are going to continue letting Vandy, Kentucky, Illinois, Purdue, etc. take an even share of football revenue when they don't really make an effort to compete? No. It will get contracted further. The best hope is there will be a division right below that, with its own championship, that we can compete in. We aren't going to be included in whatever elite super semi pro conference ends up getting created.
For a while yes, The Alabama's and Ohio States of the world, know they need a couple of Vandy's and Purdue's in their league. It helps them stay on top.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Likely true as ncaa has been weak and late during its tenure.

Simple scholarship reductions for playoff teams would have helped.
ALA AND OHIOSTATE VOTE NO AND The Resf vote yes.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I missed it . Could you consider the SEC ??
We used to be there.
South carolina, uga, UF Tenn, Auburn Ala, would fill BDS.

Maybe uga would help us?
How much has being in the sec helped the bottom half of the conference ? Even with the payouts they still don't win the conference. Maybe it helps fund the non-revenue sports at these schools, but if being in the best neighborhood hasn't helped them win, why will it help us ? I know, we can fill HBDS with LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tex A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and uga, while getting the Wreck dismantled by their goons and the scoreboard reading "slaughter". We either get Cabrera fully on board or invest large sums in the lottery whenever it reaches 500 mil. or play RICE, Northwestern, Tulane, Stanford, Duke, etc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Right now the college football model is pushing more money into the programs at fewer schools when the push should be away from that. At some point this will spoil the sport for fans. If there are actually only 6-8 teams who are playing for the championship why shouldn't they be a in a conference of their own?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now the college football model is pushing more money into the programs at fewer schools when the push should be away from that. At some point this will spoil the sport for fans. If there are actually only 6-8 teams who are playing for the championship why shouldn't they be a in a conference of their own?
It’s already spoiled it for me. I wish I could say it will be 6-8 teams next year- I think it’s more like 2 or 3. In fact I’m pretty confident Alabama will win it all with what they have coming back.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Likely true as ncaa has been weak and late during its tenure.

Simple scholarship reductions for playoff teams would have helped.
ALA AND OHIOSTATE VOTE NO AND The Resf vote yes.

NIL will make scholarship money insignificant to the top schools. Instead of donating to the school and hoping the money goes towards scholarships, money can be targeted to specific players to pay for school and written off as a business expense. The problem for the players is going to be if they get hurt, away goes the money. The second issue is minor sports will have access to less money because the $$ will not be going into the general scholarship fund but aggregated in the major revenue generating sports. Title 9 is going to be challenging.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT should throw our name into the transfer portal as an entire school. Of course we may have to drop down a level or two before anyone would accept us. But maybe the SWAC, OVC or the Patriot league would want a presence in the ATL market for recruiting porpoises.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
GT should throw our name into the transfer portal as an entire school. Of course we may have to drop down a level or two before anyone would accept us. But maybe the SWAC, OVC or the Patriot league would want a presence in the ATL market for recruiting porpoises.
Brilliant!! Portal seems to trump everything these days so it surely trumps grant of rights obligations... maybe there’s even a little NIL money in there for us!
I nominate 4shotB for AD

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We need to embrace our identity and bring back what was working for us. It leveled the playing field. Go all in on a good DC and find a CGC to not coach, but coordinate recruiting. That's how we can compete and on a budget.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Brilliant!! Portal seems to trump everything these days so it surely trumps grant of rights obligations... maybe there’s even a little NIL money in there for us!
I nominate 4shotB for AD

One on hand, I knew too much about this fanbase to want the job. On the other, I will not dismiss it summarily without hearing details about base pay, benefits, bonuses, etc. I have a pretty damn sweet gig here at the Swarm but am willing to at least listen to other offers.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We jumped ship one time, how did that work out for us, was everyone happy we did? Not much we can do till 2036 which at that time I'll be 84 and I don't know it would matter to me if I remember who I am by then. Every team has ups and downs some more downs and just like teams every conference has ups and downs, I would not worry about it just enjoy football till TV kills it which it will.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We jumped ship one time, how did that work out for us, was everyone happy we did? Not much we can do till 2036 which at that time I'll be 84 and I don't know it would matter to me if I remember who I am by then. Every team has ups and downs some more downs and just like teams every conference has ups and downs, I would not worry about it just enjoy football till TV kills it which it will.
Right now, we don't have much to offer even if we did want to jump ship. We have to get ourselves better, get butts back in the seats, and get more TV viewers/sidewalk fans.
We're in too weak a position at present to even think about changing conferences.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How much has being in the sec helped the bottom half of the conference ? Even with the payouts they still don't win the conference.
If you ask Vanderbilt, the admin will tell you that they don't give a rat's behind to win a football championship ... or any other for that matter. They are an elite academic institution and that comes first. Athletics are complementary to that mission.

Having said that, the SEC payouts are enormous and it does allow them to compete in golf, baseball and other non-revenue sports. I think we are a lot closer to the Vandy model than most would care to admit. The Hill is not going to significantly change how it does business to win a football game.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If you ask Vanderbilt, the admin will tell you that they don't give a rat's behind to win a football championship ... or any other for that matter. They are an elite academic institution and that comes first. Athletics are complementary to that mission.

Having said that, the SEC payouts are enormous and it does allow them to compete in golf, baseball and other non-revenue sports. I think we are a lot closer to the Vandy model than most would care to admit. The Hill is not going to significantly change how it does business to win a football game.
Now ask the other 5 or 6 teams other than Vandy. You are right about the non-revenue sports as I indicated in my post.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Vandy used to be really good in basketball as well. Competed with Rupp when UK dominated the SEC. They have had two reasonably successful football coaches since the 60's. Steve Sloan and Franklin. Sloan was using Peabody which was owned by VU for shall we say marginal students. He started having success and the SEC shut that off. He came to Duke from there. He was a heck of a golfer too. Franklin must be one heck of a recruiter
and coach to have been even marginally successful at Vandy.
I am from Nashville. The only people interested in their football team are local alums. Sidewalks in Nashville are Vol fans.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The Mississippi schools never forgot Dodd’s refusal to do away games in their state, so my guess is they would also blackball us.
That was not particularly addressed in either of the books I read but the impression I got was that the Bear had persuaded (in his own kind and gentle way) everyone but UGA and Auburn. If that is true, (no way of knowing now 50 years later) he must have done a hell of a sales job on the two Mississippi schools both of whom despised Dodd and Tech.