We just...

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Beat VT, Miami, Clemson, UGA, and Miss. State (who was ranked #1 for most of the year) all in the same season......and we have a QB coming back that's the best thing since Joe Hamilton. This Tech fan (who started going to games in the early 80's and remembers the lean years) is pinching himself!!!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Beat VT, Miami, Clemson, UGA, and Miss. State (who was ranked #1 for most of the year) all in the same season......and we have a QB coming back that's the best thing since Joe Hamilton. This Tech fan (who started going to games in the early 80's and remembers the lean years) is pinching himself!!!!
Not only that, but so many of us (not me) were calling this team a "dumpster fire" after the offseason personnel losses. Amazing!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is always interesting to see the difference perspective makes. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the way CPJ takes everything to even keel. Things are never as good or bad as they seem, we just tend - as do all people - to emphasize elements of the situation. It is good to keep things in perspective and just focus on executing the game plan.

Animal02

Banned

AND....players are graduating, advancing toward their degrees at a higher rate, and their grades are up. It has been an incredible season despite the naysayers.
Looking forward to the 2015 season already!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It is always interesting to see the difference perspective makes. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the way CPJ takes everything to even keel. Things are never as good or bad as they seem, we just tend - as do all people - to emphasize elements of the situation. It is good to keep things in perspective and just focus on executing the game plan.

x 1000. All of the success this year doesn't guarantee a single win next year. There are too many variables every season which is why I tend to discount those who predict with virtual certainty a year of "doom and gloom" or national championship. What we have is a realistic hope because there are more "knowns" going forward. Among those are that our current offense scheme can be virtually unstoppable when run properly and most of them will be back with more experience. We also know that our defense can good enough and also should have improved personnel. It is a time to be excited about the future but even if bad calls, injuries, mistakes etc cause 2015 to be less than 2014, I will still be a TECH fan.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
x 1000. All of the success this year doesn't guarantee a single win next year. There are too many variables every season which is why I tend to discount those who predict with virtual certainty a year of "doom and gloom" or national championship. What we have is a realistic hope because there are more "knowns" going forward. Among those are that our current offense scheme can be virtually unstoppable when run properly and most of them will be back with more experience. We also know that our defense can good enough and also should have improved personnel. It is a time to be excited about the future but even if bad calls, injuries, mistakes etc cause 2015 to be less than 2014, I will still be a TECH fan.
This is the most excited I've been in the off season in a long time. Even after the '09 season we new we were losing the heart of the team.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Was a special team and special year. We seemed to improve as the season went on. Nobody, including Oregon, was better than us on O. That said, there were about 4 games this year we could have lost. Same will likely be true even if we improve as a team. I ain't skeered of nobody next year though.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Listened to PJ's pregame interview before the Georgia game about a week or two ago. He said the offseason personnel losses got rid of some of the "complainers." I was wondering if anyone else heard that too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Was a special team and special year. We seemed to improve as the season went on. Nobody, including Oregon, was better than us on O. That said, there were about 4 games this year we could have lost. Same will likely be true even if we improve as a team. I ain't skeered of nobody next year though.
Oregon shredded the FSU defense worse than we did.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oregon has a top tier D IMO. Would be tough for us to beat em and overall I think they are the best team in the land this year. I'll put this team against anyone though.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Oregon shredded the FSU defense worse than we did.

FSU had to play a perfectly executed offensive game to beat us, which is exactly what they did, and then it was only by 2 points, and we scored 35 points against the Seminoles in spite of playing without our top WR and TWO of our top A-Backs. While I'm at it, our defense held FSU to ZERO TD's the 2nd Half (only 3 FG's) while we scored 2 TD's and actually missed another wide open TD pass. Finally, We dropped an INT in our endzone, which led to FSU's final FG (which was the difference in the game as it turned out to be the winning FG).

Against Oregon, FSU had FIVE turnovers and Oregon played at full strength and scored 59 points (including defensive TD).

Duke beat us because Justin was injured when their defenders intentionally commited personal fouls that weren't called (grabbing his ankles and doing alligator death rolls after the whistle several times). This caused him to to not be able to set up properly on passes and get intercepted as well as not rush effectively so he left the game early. Byerly came in and we still were an onside kick away from winning the game. North Carolina our defense let us down, not our offense. THAT was the turning point of our season in that we became more aggressive and less playing between the 20's, while also trying to get turnovers.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I can't thank the team and staff enough for the greatness that I myself have enjoyed about this season.
With the losses of players before the season it seemed we couldnt find away to stop the bleeding.
Now looking back, I cant name many of the players lost in whatever manner without looking it up. I think someone called it "winning by losing"?
Soooo when is spring practice starting?
I'm looking forward to baseball starting because I know football will soon follow!
What's the good word???

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't thank the team and staff enough for the greatness that I myself have enjoyed about this season.
With the losses of players before the season it seemed we couldnt find away to stop the bleeding.
Now looking back, I cant name many of the players lost in whatever manner without looking it up. I think someone called it "winning by losing"?
Soooo when is spring practice starting?
I'm looking forward to baseball starting because I know football will soon follow!
What's the good word???
THWG!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Oregon has a top tier D IMO. Would be tough for us to beat em and overall I think they are the best team in the land this year. I'll put this team against anyone though.
Ducks were best tackling swarming team I recall seeing this year. We were doing the same against MSU. We have come a long way from our fundamentals of tackling and blocking from where we have been in past years and start of season. Almost seems there has been a change in coaching methods and techniques.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
It's really amazing to contrast my feelings now versus my feelings in the 2nd half of the Ga. Southern game. From one of my lowest points as a GT fan to one of my highest.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ducks were best tackling swarming team I recall seeing this year. We were doing the same against MSU. We have come a long way from our fundamentals of tackling and blocking from where we have been in past years and start of season. Almost seems there has been a change in coaching methods and techniques.
Don't you remember 33jacket fixing our defense a few games ago? ;)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It's really amazing to contrast my feelings now versus my feelings in the 2nd half of the Ga. Southern game. From one of my lowest points as a GT fan to one of my highest.

So true. All I could think of is "if we lose to Southern, CPJ will get fired by year's end and we will have to suffer through horrible "rebuilding" years". After VT I thought "maybe we could get 9 wins... that would be great" and after the Orange Bowl it was "Ugag, FSu and ND coaches are already worrying how they can possibly stop us next year." In other words...a great season!