We got an "F"?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When you go 11-3 one season and then 3-9 the next, it pretty much has to be an "F". I could go F+ with the FSU game mixed in. If you went 1-10 for 5 straight seasons, then maybe 3-9 would rate a C- for improvement or something.

Trying hard matters, but it is still an F. Heck, I thought I studied real hard several times only to have my brain explode on some tests at TECH. They were still F's too.

It is all about the recovery now. Crap happens. Gotta move on and fix it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well, @JacketFromUGA explained it well. We got an F but it wasn't like a 20. More like a 68 (69 was F back in my day). The team that got the 20 flat out didn't try. We tried but stuff (injuries, etc.) got in the way, thus we failed with honor?

No, we got an F and it was more like a 50. A 5-7 year would have been what you were talking about. Sorry but if you think giving an F to a team who went 3-9 when expectations were as high as they were needs explicit justification then I don't know what to tell you. This wasn't close to an acceptable season. I really don't see how anything other than an F could be justified to be honest.

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with the record being an F but as far as watching I still enjoyed watching the younger guys get their chances to play. Would have preferred like everyone else to have not had the injurys, but I really enjoyed watching the younger guys compete and thought they did themselves well. And with all the injurys we where only really out of just a few games. So I'm looking forward to next year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
complete fail for me too. How anyone can debate this....is...nevermind.

This wasn't a 68 or 69 either, if a 70 is a C.
This was a 45-50. You tried, but just suck.

booga

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah it was an F season basically, but I think the OP is probably more indignant at the lack of any real analysis. Writer basically checked preseason ranking, checked season record and awarded an F.

I was kinda like that in school. I didn't like when teachers just rubber-stamped my grade. I wanted them to do some work too.

The work required to justify an F is the same as showing that 1+1=2. Some things are just too simple.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can't do analysis of the GT football season without getting pissed off. So I haven't done any. We "should" have been so much better. So our season rates an F- for me.

I don't care about blame or fault at this point, just need some catharsis. I hope Beesball starting in 37 days gives that relief.
T minus 37 and counting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Numbers still count.

We slaughtered 2 very mediocre teams and then we only won one acc game by the most miraculous play of the year to get to 3 wins.

In the dinosaur age of 1965 when shortly beforehand gt was good, that would be 1-9 ish.
If not there, its in the area of being embarrassing.

In that era the grade cut off out of 100 was something like A=95,B=88,C=80?. Thought F was about 65?
We are definitely F.

I can imagine the required meeting with dean of students ( dean dull at the time) , would go something like= "Son u did great in fall (14) quarter, but u set a record for low grades in the winter (15) quarter. In the last quarter u attended all classes and labs, but couldn't seem to get it together on the tests. Yes, u were close on all your tests. But if u can't bring tests back up in the spring (16), perhaps u should think about another degree or school. "

The coaches get it.
The players get it.
2015 is past.

Now we should give 100 percent support the coaches and players all the way to end of 16 when final grade is posted.

Of course blabbing about better plays, blocking, tackling, etc is fine, but save the judgements till next dec1.

As Jerry says
GO JACKETS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You mean shut down the board?

No! You are kidding!!
Just leave of the ideas for the oh my!! final solutions till after Uga.

Early on both offense and defense need to find their legs - whoses making most progress. Actual blitz count per quarter and by game score,
Depending on record and individual performance, do we play more reserves. Who is best back up qb. How are the defenses playing us on 3& long. Cant wait for nsd, spring training, fl camp, toe meets leather.

There will be plenty to talk about without the coaches/ players are totally bad/good blanket statements.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with the record being an F but as far as watching I still enjoyed watching the younger guys get their chances to play. Would have preferred like everyone else to have not had the injurys, but I really enjoyed watching the younger guys compete and thought they did themselves well. And with all the injurys we where only really out of just a few games. So I'm looking forward to next year.
Great point. Besides acknowledging the season was an F, I would also like to state that I still enjoyed the heck out of going to the games. We were a competitive team that played a lot of exciting games. Coming up short so many times was disheartening, but it never affected the NEXT game for me. The only boring games I watched were the first two whitewash wins. The rest were all pretty intense. The FSU game was one of the most satisfying fan experiences of my life. Disappointing? Heck yes, but far from boring.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Good one about calculations - that's pretty funny. I just found it interesting that other teams (i.e. South Carolina, Maryland, Tulane who were also 3-9) got a better grade than us, especially considering our almost wins and our schedule.

Final rankings show us at 88! So are teams 89-125 F minus?
I think they have us at an F based on how well we did in 2014 then we just dropped off. Those other teams werent picked to do great things last year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think they have us at an F based on how well we did in 2014 then we just dropped off. Those other teams werent picked to do great things last year.

It probably would have been an F even if we didn't have a great 2014. I mean we were the worst team in the Coastal, that has to be an F regardless of the previous year.

I guess to your point Wake and BC finished with the same record as us and got Ds. But that's expected of them based on the state of their programs (although I did see Wake got a beautiful new indoor practice facility). But a program like Tech should never finish 3-9, and I don't expect us to at least for a while.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It probably would have been an F even if we didn't have a great 2014. I mean we were the worst team in the Coastal, that has to be an F regardless of the previous year.

I guess to your point Wake and BC finished with the same record as us and got Ds. But that's expected of them based on the state of their programs (although I did see Wake got a beautiful new indoor practice facility). But a program like Tech should never finish 3-9, and I don't expect us to at least for a while.
It used to be called grading on the curve. Never understood that, either.