We *FELL* one spot in ESPN power rankings...

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It's because Ivan Maisel doesn't have us in his top 25. Apparently Auburn's gutsy win inspired enough confidence to keep them in but not us. I believe everyone else had us at 14 or higher

edit: actually were were as low as 18 on one of the polls but everyone else beside Maisel at least had us ranked.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not in the playoff era. We need to win the beauty pageant especially after an undefeated FSU was almost left out last year.
I get that, but being under the radar helps our team focus and be determined and motivated... things that help us win games, which is the ultimate measuring stick.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
If Maisel really doesn't have us ranked to be a troll job baiting some crazy letters from fans. There is really no other plausible explanation, besides pure insanity.

Some media are just emotionally affected by the old-school tactics of a running team. They're morally outraged by it, like Pete Prisco saying every year that the Seahawks/Panthers etc will suck and their QBs will get concussions.

I think it has something to do with imagining your favorite sport as modern and being in some brand new era, combined with the ignorant assumption that coaches like CPJ teach a brutal, unsophisticated style.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Some media are just emotionally affected by the old-school tactics of a running team. They're morally outraged by it, like Pete Prisco saying every year that the Seahawks/Panthers etc will suck and their QBs will get concussions.

I think it has something to do with imagining your favorite sport as modern and being in some brand new era, combined with the ignorant assumption that coaches like CPJ teach a brutal, unsophisticated style.

In fact, we run a throwback offense from a more civilized age. It's way more elegant than the clumsy, random 50% completion pro style offenses.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Per eSECpn. Re GA: Still trying to make sense of the quarterback situation? So is Mark Richt. It was good enough to beat Vandy, but the Bulldogs will need more soon.
Re GT: We know the Jackets can score, but can they do it against a ranked Notre Dame team? In South Bend? The ACC sure hopes so.

Yet the dwags move UP 3 sports and Tech FALLS 1 spot. Are you effing kidding me???????????????????????????

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole motivation thing is largely nonsense. It's typically offered as a post hoc explanation for what happened. These guys don't have the time to keep track of who is voting where.

All of this is a long way of saying it's week two, so who cares.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
If we, the fans and viewers, don't worry about the megabias that is SECPN, winning will not by itself mean a thing. Anyone remember the time espn rigged it so two sec teams that had already played each other played again for the title?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand why we would fall in Power Rankings since we beat the #118 team at home.
We could have won 223-0 and it wouldn't matter since the size of the win after a point doesn't matter.

I think we were #21 at JHowell and still are. As others have said, it doesn't matter since we are going to get highly ranked opponents. We win we go up, we lose we don't go down as much, especially if we play them away. Just the way it works.

If anyone cares, I can dig out the exact methodology used for power rankings that I posted maybe two years ago.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand why we would fall in Power Rankings since we beat the #118 team at home.
We could have won 223-0 and it wouldn't matter since the size of the win after a point doesn't matter.

I think we were #21 at JHowell and still are. As others have said, it doesn't matter since we are going to get highly ranked opponents. We win we go up, we lose we don't go down as much, especially if we play them away. Just the way it works.

If anyone cares, I can dig out the exact methodology used for power rankings that I posted maybe two years ago.

My bad, what was referenced was a poll and not an objective Power Ranking.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that, but being under the radar helps our team focus and be determined and motivated... things that help us win games, which is the ultimate measuring stick.
What do you do if you are ranked number 1? To win the playoffs, you have to win AFTER people have already given you respect. Being able to stay focused when everyone thinks they will win is where you want the team to be.

Champions win when they are favored to win... just sayin'...