We *FELL* one spot in ESPN power rankings...

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This isn't even a poll. It's power rankings. You won't see this cited or talked about anywhere other than ESPN's web site. ESPN won't even reference these when they broadcast games. It doesn't matter.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't even a poll. It's power rankings. You won't see this cited or talked about anywhere other than ESPN's web site. ESPN won't even reference these when they broadcast games. It doesn't matter.

You're telling me that the AP poll media voters don't read espn and, if they do, aren't affected even subconsciously by this stuff?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
What significance is the ESPN Power ranking anyway? I don't understand what bearing it has on anything we are doing.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Why do GT fans believe that ESPN has an SEC bias? Every time I turned on ESPN in the preseason, they were talking about B1G or ND.

The first Saturday, all 3 noon games were B1G. 2 of the 3 3:30 games were B1G. The second Saturday, 3 of 4 noon games were B1G. I believe their parent, ABC, was also carrying a B1G game.

ESPN is much more biased towards the B1G than the SEC, especially since there are only 2 good teams in the B1G. If you want to say they don't cover the ACC very well, that is a different matter.

I wonder how much ESPN/ABC influenced OSU getting into the playoff last year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Why do GT fans believe that ESPN has an SEC bias? Every time I turned on ESPN in the preseason, they were talking about B1G or ND.

The first Saturday, all 3 noon games were B1G. 2 of the 3 3:30 games were B1G. The second Saturday, 3 of 4 noon games were B1G. I believe their parent, ABC, was also carrying a B1G game.

ESPN is much more biased towards the B1G than the SEC, especially since there are only 2 good teams in the B1G. If you want to say they don't cover the ACC very well, that is a different matter.

I wonder how much ESPN/ABC influenced OSU getting into the playoff last year.
Big 10 has always dominated the 12 o'clock games...they put you back to sleep once Gameday ends. When else are they supposed to show Purdue-Iowa?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If we, the fans and viewers, don't worry about the megabias that is SECPN, winning will not by itself mean a thing. Anyone remember the time espn rigged it so two sec teams that had already played each other played again for the title?
Yes and it was a travesty. I remember thinking how awful it would feel to be an LSU fan. "Hey, you know that game where you shut down Alabama? It doesn't count unless you beat them again. And if you don't beat them again then Alabama's first loss to you never happened."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Polls are close to worthless before at least 3 or 4 games have been played by most teams. JMO.
Exactly. The only problem is that they seem to bias the way people view future wins and losses. What would the rankings look like this year if Tech had started the season where they left off in the rankings last year (like most of the other teams in the top ten)? And what would Auburn look like right now if they had started off in the rankings like the 8-4 (4-4 sec) team that they are?

And while I am on it, how come uga gets to start off where they finished the season last year when Tech was the team with the returning star quarterback and uga was starting over at that position?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO irrelevant for now, but we have to keep winning.

If we keep winning our best shot will be a groundswell of support from writers/coaches etc., wanting to see what the new kids on the block with their throwback HS offense and 3* recruits can do against the big bad boys.

Overall the media likes a great storyline and we have it.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
GT has the strength of schedule this year to make these early polls irrelevant if they keep winning.

I was looking at some pre-season polls yesterday and found plenty with Auburn at #2 and Stanford at #4. I have no confidence in these writers to do anything with these polls but drive traffic for the fans of the favored teams.