We are Competitive

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just like recent years, we are competitive. We have played a lot of teams tough and had plenty of chances to win, even against the big 4. This team is competitive too. We aren't great, but we are good enough to give anybody a game. It is just really good to see us pull a game out of the fire instead of handing it back. This is what has been missing. I have no idea how this season is going to play out, but it makes things far more intriguing when your team shows some guile, toughness, and will to win.

Games like this (and the prior 3) mean a lot more to a team in the long run than the washouts. We are not good enough to pull away from the good teams we face, so, being in the fire so many times will help our comfort level and self confidence when we find ourselves there again. Just think about the last few years IF IF IF we had played well at crunch time. Sometimes finding a way to win is more important than just being good.

Today it wasn't just JT making plays when it mattered, it was the defense too. Bravo Jackets!

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought about this too. I think 2 years ago through the first 3 games we averaged 60 points a game but then we struggled when we faced the big boys later in the year. I have been hoping the battles that we have been winning will help us in the long run

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
the Offense had some poor plays but overall did well against a tough D. The front 7 did well on defense also, but I'm concerned about the secondary. The announcers said many times that we were too soft on their receivers, and it seemed so. They said "you know what that means, Roof doesn't trust his corners." Are we not putting those guys in the best position to succeed? What will we do against really good passing attacks? I guess we'll have to score a lot of points. We're Georgia Tech!! We can do that!!!

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I too kept yelling at the tv about the cushion we was giving. The players have to play what the coach calls though. The plan was to not allow big plays to beat us and it actually paid off.

Animal02

Banned
the Offense had some poor plays but overall did well against a tough D. The front 7 did well on defense also, but I'm concerned about the secondary. The announcers said many times that we were too soft on their receivers, and it seemed so. They said "you know what that means, Roof doesn't trust his corners." Are we not putting those guys in the best position to succeed? What will we do against really good passing attacks? I guess we'll have to score a lot of points. We're Georgia Tech!! We can do that!!!

I think it was smart play in some instances.....like and the end of the first half.......giving up a FG was not much harm compared to what a late TD and VT getting the ball in the 2ns half would have been.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT is definitely the catalyst though I had confidence that he would pull it through.

It's been some years since I felt that way.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we played zone to avoid the big play, and it largely worked. But letting the m convert ~5 3rd and 8+ sucked. Stopped em when we had to.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
After getting scorched by GSU on long balls I thought it was a good strategy to give a big cushion, make them earn their way down the field, and wait for Brewer to make mistakes.

Roof sells out to stop the run and gives up tons of passing yards. That's his MO. Then get off tbe field with picks, sacks, holds, bad throws, etc. Giving up no big plays today was great for us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After getting scorched by GSU on long balls I thought it was a good strategy to give a big cushion, make them earn their way down the field, and wait for Brewer to make mistakes.

Roof sells out to stop the run and gives up tons of passing yards. That's his MO. Then get off tbe field with picks, sacks, holds, bad throws, etc. Giving up no big plays today was great for us.
After the last game can you blame Roof? The yards we gave up today were purely out of caution. I would say the strategy worked. We got the mistakes out of Brewer.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Once again, we did a good job of forcing 3rd and longs. There were just too many conversions. It was killing me.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
If we keep getting better every week and getting these young men some confidence we have to be scary for anyone to play because of the offense and the QB running it.